Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a call from Syd delivery an hour ago. They have moved my pick-up to Tomorrow (Wed, originallyThursday). They said 15min is allocated to delivery so from this I'm assuming all the 12v battery issues are being resolved and Syd at least has a few cars to get out this week? Assumption correct? What do you think?

I'm Thursday pickup syd

I got a call from Syd delivery an hour ago. They have moved my pick-up to Tomorrow (Wed, originallyThursday). They said 15min is allocated to delivery so from this I'm assuming all the 12v battery issues are being resolved and Syd at least has a few cars to get out this week? Assumption correct? What do you think?

If you know your car was one of the affected ones with the battery issue, your assumption would make sense.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I agree that there are probably many many things Tesla must have got right in order to be successful.
Exactly. Having a car that would do 0-60mph in under 3 seconds and was far far less than a Ferrari etc, looked good, was lower polluting and had tech like a big iphone with the promise of a lot more to come made it pretty right. Then a visionary that was like a dog with a bone and had a bag full of spare cash and ran the show, plus GM going broke and giving away a car plant - all came together to enable the first new car manufacturer in 50 years in the US to appear. All makes a good recipe for success (so far).

Weird. Just got a call from a confused-sounding Tesla guy. Called to let me know that my delivery date had been tentatively scheduled and so he was now, uh, going to prepare my final invoice. I said yeah I'd been waiting for the invoice (date was scheduled 'tentatively' a fortnight ago or so) but he was almost desperate to get off the phone so didn't get to ask anything else. I think he called by mistake, must be rather busy, I'm guessing he was going down a list of not-yet-invoiced and scheduling dates but he called before he saw I had already been scheduled, then had nothing to ask me. :)

Yep, me too, got the same call saying my car is now ready and I can pick up tomorrow, I'm picking up from Alexandria at 5pm. They said they would spend 15min walking me through the car etc. I told them that with the number of videos i've watched, i'm probably an expert by now :).

Predicting the rise of EVs and looking decades into the future, is as critical to Tesla being successful
Tesla did not predict the rise of EVs, the caused the rise of EVs. Musk's strength is that he sees something that should be happening to improve some key aspect of life, and then produces compelling products at disruptive prices to make it happen.

Tesla did not predict the rise of EVs, the caused the rise of EVs. Musk's strength is that he sees something that should be happening to improve some key aspect of life, and then produces compelling products at disruptive prices to make it happen.
Abraham Lincoln and countless others have uttered some variation of this quote: "The best way to predict your future is to create it."
This holds true in this also. So they did predict the future and then caused it.

Reactions: Techno-phile
Two random questions from me this afternoon:

Is there anyway that perhaps this crazy car allocating system Tesla is using may be from an alphabetical surname list?

Also, my Tesla app Android icon features an image displaying the front of a Roadster, and not the typical red background with white Tesla T logo. What does everyone else have?

Last edited:
@khayyam and other kiwis who have already picked up their cars - how does payment work?

I just received my invoice and it states “Cleared funds are required before release of any vehicle” but I’m not paying anything until I inspect it. Can you inspect, accept, pay and drive away and then have the funds clear overnight?

Reactions: CAM3RON
I think the same applies to solar paint on EVs - i.e. not to look at the constraints and limitations that apply today, but picture where we want to be in the future and then think about what we need to do today, to make that future happen.
I'd make the point that it is less an issue of when the tech will become possible, and more whether it would ever be useful enough and worth the extra cost on a car, and it will always cost something extra. My car will rarely see much sun so I'd barely get anything out of it even if it had panels all over it and with 100% efficiency. So I'd pay nothing for it, and it would have to be very cheap to add on for most people giving the limited amount it will generate. A couple of panels on a house roof or part of a massive solar farm are always going to be much cheaper and more efficient and more predictable generation. Especially in Australia - you can just have a couple extra normal panels anywhere else in the state or even country and that will do the same job as solar panels on a car but much better and much cheaper, and avoid numerous issues with putting them on cars. Maybe different in small European countries with less space, but even then most of their cars won't see that much sun. Particularly in SA we're close to having enough solar installed and can easily install double or 100x more again given the space we have, the storage is the problem. i.e. I'd argue that having chargers for cars everywhere (where people work mainly, so during the day) in the future would be far more useful and efficient to suck up all the solar generation around the place. Long term I am sure the power companies will be pushing for cars to be charged during the day and make it cheaper to do so. (some do a bit already)
Maybe my point is also that solar panel tech improvements for farms and roofs has just beaten any solar tech for cars and meant it will never really become a reality.
Also people keep quoting the space for panels on a car, the reality is only a small part of the car will be in direct sun with a half useful angle. Middle of the day in summer the sides aren't very efficient due to the angle for example. And they just won't ever look as perfect as a normal paint job like everyone wants, really by definition - solar panels have to let light in to them, but people don't want to see them on their car.