Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of interest, what is the "wide angle" of the reversing camera on the Model 3?

Unsure of the exact specs, but it looks plenty wide here:
4Tesla.jpg

And the giant screen probably means it's like no other reversing camera any of us have ever used.

I'm blowing the stats out of the water personally, because I have never bought a new car before in my life ever!

Ditto. First car was the used family minivan my parents gifted to me when I finished university and moved out. Second was an '05 Ford Falcon that I got used in 2010 for ~$15k when I moved to Australia. Third will be the Model 3.

Never thought I'd be spending $93k on a car. And I'm not; I'm spending ~$125k on going CO2 emissions free (or damn close to it) across home energy usage and local transport. The car is just part of that package, and the costs don't seem crazy when you put them relative to say, the cost of a house. Basically an extra 20% makes it possible to live emissions free. Totally worth it.

Anyways, if we're putting a number on "how much extra did you spend on the car" it would probably be about $78k.

HOW MUCH IS THE AUSSIE / KIWI TESLA STRETCH?

Just a random thought (while I wait endlessly for my new Blue P3+, FSD, with White interior. Still waiting on a VIN :( )

I read in USA forums and news articles about the "Tesla Stretch". How people were going US$20-$30k beyond their normal spending limit on a car to get the Tesla Model 3. So people upgraded from a Camry or Honda or Hyundai to a Tesla. They took the US$20k stretch because they love Tesla or the concept or wanted the next level of performance, or other reasons.

Q: What's the experience for all of us in Australia? How much did you "Stretch" ? $$$$

Me? I'm blowing the stats out of the water personally, because I have never bought a new car before in my life ever! (and I started driving in 1977). Until now, I couldn't justify the new car expense, they didn't hold that kind of value to me. I couldn't love them, so didn't buy. Instead, I bought older second hand models and couldn't care less about them as they sat frequently unused in the driveway, and cycled to work almost every day.

But this time, I'm taking the "Tesla Stretch", and going all out at pretty close to A$100k above anything I ever spent on cars before in one hit. And I'm going to totally love it. It's my new baby! It's insanely FAST, and also BTW I believe in the future of EV, Elon, Solar and more!

So: My Tesla Stretch is A$100k, and my first new car ever! What's yours?

My current car brand cost $22k brand new (in 2012). The Tesla I'm getting now is $78k. $66kAUD Tesla stretch for me. Never bought a car so expensive before.

HOW MUCH IS THE AUSSIE / KIWI TESLA STRETCH?

Just a random thought (while I wait endlessly for my new Blue P3+, FSD, with White interior. Still waiting on a VIN :( )

I read in USA forums and news articles about the "Tesla Stretch". How people were going US$20-$30k beyond their normal spending limit on a car to get the Tesla Model 3. So people upgraded from a Camry or Honda or Hyundai to a Tesla. They took the US$20k stretch because they love Tesla or the concept or wanted the next level of performance, or other reasons.

Q: What's the experience for all of us in Australia? How much did you "Stretch" ? $$$$

Me? I'm blowing the stats out of the water personally, because I have never bought a new car before in my life ever! (and I started driving in 1977). Until now, I couldn't justify the new car expense, they didn't hold that kind of value to me. I couldn't love them, so didn't buy. Instead, I bought older second hand models and couldn't care less about them as they sat frequently unused in the driveway, and cycled to work almost every day.

But this time, I'm taking the "Tesla Stretch", and going all out at pretty close to A$100k above anything I ever spent on cars before in one hit. And I'm going to totally love it. It's my new baby! It's insanely FAST, and also BTW I believe in the future of EV, Elon, Solar and more!

So: My Tesla Stretch is A$100k, and my first new car ever! What's yours?
The most expensive car I have bought previously was $40k. So only really a mere $30k stretch for my SR+

Email from Tesla:

Hi Mark,

Now that we’ve confirmed the delivery date, all that’s left is the waiting and the small details in between. On the day of delivery, there will be a little bit of a process to go through which I have laid out for you below:

Your scheduled date for delivery is Thursday 19 of September at 15:00.

The carrier will call you 30-40 minutes before the delivery time. Please note it is possible the carrier could be a little earlier or later, as they are a third-party company and we can’t control exactly when they will arrive.

Once the vehicle arrives and is unloaded, please do a quick survey of the car before you sign for delivery, just to ensure everything is in order.

After you have signed for delivery, you may call the following number, where one of our team members can do a quick walkthrough of the basics with you.

(03) 9039 XXXX

Your physical registration documents will be in the glovebox of the vehicle.

The delivery process should be overall fairly quick; hopefully no longer than half an hour.

I will also be sending a follow-up email after this for you to reply to after delivery; it will serve as formal delivery acceptance. Once you take delivery of the car, simply reply to that email.

And that’s all there is to it. Should you have any questions on the day, we can also discuss those. Until then, have a great week!

It looks like I am still on track to take home delivery in Adelaide next Thursday, September 19. Allegedly, I will be the first in Adelaide, but who knows. This morning, I received a service appointment (Tonsley Bat Cave) for a week later than that - September 26 : not sure why, but perhaps to check all is fine after home delivery, or maybe even to fix the 12V battery issue. I would be interested if Perth delivery recipients or other Adelaide delivery people have had the same pattern, ie a service appointment a week after home delivery ?

I can't imagine it's to install HomeLink, but I guess it gives me an excuse to ask about that while I'm there.

Also, my VIN now appears under my Reservation Number in my Manage area. Perhaps this is because I sent payment a couple of days ago, so all is locked in ?

(Taking delivery of Pearl White P3- , existing/previous owner)

Well, it might be Friday the 13th today, but it has been lucky for me !

I have had not one but 2 phone calls about delivery, including one to bring it forward by ...... one hour. Of course I said yes.

As well as the email about the Service appointment a week later (Delivery guy said ignore - that is a red herring), I have also received a preemptive email which asks me to reply 'Yes' when I have take delivery and accept responsibility for the car.

Good luck for those still waiting for Ships, VINs, invoices and delivery appointments.

Just said logistics issue and is making lots of these calls, so going to be quite a few disappointed by the sound of it

I too have been affected by this perth delay. Got the call today stating "our logistics company just notified us this morning of a delay from 20th to 27th, and that some cars had been delayed in shipping. "

I pushed back as I'm currently working fifo, did the right thing and notified them early that i wouldn't be able to make my originally scheduled date because of work. And by pushing it back 7 days it would be well into October before i could take delivery. So they put me on hold (I'm sure a normal car company would have said "let me speak to my manager" ;) ) and they managed to find me a spot on the 24th. I also mentioned they have been holding $85k of my money for over a month by that point.

Gutted i have to wait yet another 5 days, but i guess what is 5 out of nearly 1300

• Informative
Reactions: Techno-phile
I just had a call from Tesla. Was advised that it was unlikely I would be getting my car on the 19th as advised previously. More likely to be around 2 weeks later in early October. Apparently it is listed as being in transit between Sydney and Perth. Seems odd given the licensing papers were completed some time back but apparently that can happen once the car has been inspected in Sydney. Also seems odd given my VIN was meant to be on the first boat.

Your scheduled date for delivery is Thursday 19 of September at 15:00.

The carrier will call you 30-40 minutes before the delivery time. Please note it is possible the carrier could be a little earlier or later, as they are a third-party company and we can’t control exactly when they will arrive.

Gahahaaha. I feel for them. It must be so annoying for Tesla that third parties may not subscribe to the same high standards of delivery time estimate accuracy that Tesla displays.

I too have been affected by this perth delay. Got the call today stating "our logistics company just notified us this morning of a delay from 20th to 27th, and that some cars had been delayed in shipping. "

I pushed back as I'm currently working fifo, did the right thing and notified them early that i wouldn't be able to make my originally scheduled date because of work. And by pushing it back 7 days it would be well into October before i could take delivery. So they put me on hold (I'm sure a normal car company would have said "let me speak to my manager" ;) ) and they managed to find me a spot on the 24th. I also mentioned they have been holding $85k of my money for over a month by that point.

Gutted i have to wait yet another 5 days, but i guess what is 5 out of nearly 1300
Bugger, now I'm hoping I don't get a call...feeling for you.....You would think they would give you an option of just turning up at Autonexus, signing for it and driving off since they don't have a Tesla rep doing any handover. Save them the hassle of loading/unloading onto a flatbed. We all know they are just sitting there and is only 15 min drive away for you and I.