Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're probably right but the likely reason for this is that they won't be able to actually produce the volumes needed for mass market penetration. At the end of the day they have no incentive to improve customer communication as long as they have more buyers than cars.
I totally agree with this. They may be trying to leave an impression that they care and are trying to improve things, but on some level they have no incentive as long as they cannot produce more cars than they have demand for. The way things are currently there is no feasible real competition, as their product is far superior for the price they are asking, so the demand is far beyond their production capacity, meaning that every car they can make, they can sell. They may have some logistics issues meaning that some locations in US may have some short term stock, but other locations are still waiting to get cars. The rest of the world has no lingering stock and have people waiting to get the cars.

Reactions: kieranu
Delivery was scheduled for 17th Sept (yes that is today) but changed a few days ago on account page to 20th Sept followed by an email from Tesla Delivery rep saying due to logistics issue, delivery was being changed to the 20th. Got a call from "No Caller ID" number this afternoon and delivery rep asked for us to collect on 21st Sept at 10am (this is a Sat) and we agreed. Said cars were being delivered on Friday and she wasn't sure if ours would be there by 9:30am Friday (appointment time) so wanted to make sure they would have car in Melbourne for us to collect. Also mentioned that to keep up with deliveries, they were now doing deliveries 7 days a week including Sat/Sun. Let's wait and see what happens now.

Also, insurance-wise, we got a quote from AAMI for $1228 premium with $1225 excess. Standard comprehensive inclusions..
Is that for a SR+?

Except they aren't going to train up 10x the staff for a 4 week period then sack them, which is what they would need to do. I think being a Tesla delivery person here would be horrible right now. Given how many times just people on here have called/e-mailed demanding their car, I'm not surprised they aren't answering the phone or e-mails.
The S & X issues are due to the change to Raven, which has caused delays. Like I said, I'm not excusing their comms.
Yes I'm ready for the barrage of disagrees...

I totally agree with this. They may be trying to leave an impression that they care and are trying to improve things, but on some level they have no incentive as long as they cannot produce more cars than they have demand for. The way things are currently there is no feasible real competition, as their product is far superior for the price they are asking, so the demand is far beyond their production capacity, meaning that every car they can make, they can sell. They may have some logistics issues meaning that some locations in US may have some short term stock, but other locations are still waiting to get cars. The rest of the world has no lingering stock and have people waiting to get the cars.
Exactly...

It's like someone said a couple of pages ago...if you get pissed off and cancel then your car will be allocated to someone else the next day so they don't care.

What surprises me though is that even with existing customers they haven't really tried much. There's reports of existing owners with reservations (who were promised priority allocation) having no news yet while others with no res have delivery appointments already. That attitude, towards people who effectively crowdfunded you with A LOT of money is just not good business.

As you said, the car currently has no competitor. Remains to be seen how long that lasts although I have a feeling that the companies that could compete have too much interest in oil to care at the moment.

Given how many times just people on here have called/e-mailed demanding their car, I'm not surprised they aren't answering the phone or e-mails.

I've decided I will be visiting the Melbourne office in person to find out what is going on with my delivery date. No responses to email or phone.

Except they aren't going to train up 10x the staff for a 4 week period then sack them, which is what they would need to do.

This is the definition of temp staffing. Lots of organisations do this every year. Delivering a car is not rocket science. You can train people and be gone with them quickly.

Except they aren't going to train up 10x the staff for a 4 week period then sack them, which is what they would need to do. I think being a Tesla delivery person here would be horrible right now. Given how many times just people on here have called/e-mailed demanding their car, I'm not surprised they aren't answering the phone or e-mails.
The S & X issues are due to the change to Raven, which has caused delays. Like I said, I'm not excusing their comms.
Yes I'm ready for the barrage of disagrees...

No barrage. Just a healthy discussion.

Your local hospital employs more people during peak periods in their ED to cope with things like New Year's eve spike in presentations etc. They use casual workforce who don't need training and are not "sacked" after the event. And yes...I know the importance of sick people and car deliveries are not the same - was just making an analogy from an industry I work in.

Trained personnel are needed to deliver the cars (although we all probably know more about the car then they do) but why does someone making calls and scheduling appointments need special training?

Like I said...don't really care about the delay. I would just like an update once every 2 weeks. I don't think it's hard to implement. I also think that, if they are finding the number of calls and emails they are getting overwhelming, perhaps they need to look at why they are getting so many.

Don't forget virtually all the current car makers have horrible service here and abroad. Doesn't excuse Tesla, but the grass isn't greener

Maybe that's your experience but it's certainly not mine. Yes...traditional salesmen are douchy and pushy but once I ordered a car in the past, I received a VIN straight away (and yes...there have been many) and at any point in time between ordering and delivery I knew exactly where the car was (even as detailed as which bit of the production line it was on). There was none of this BS of "we don't know where it is". Yeah you do...

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Lastly - same shambles exist in Norway (one of Tesla's biggest markets) the UK and mainland Europe so...it would have been really easy to learn from those mistakes and not repeat them here.
Yup because their methodology to date is to do a push once per year in each market, in Norway its September. So, perhaps they only carry enough staff to manage the trickle the rest of the year and then are swamped in September.

Delivery here in Perth was scheduled for today at 2pm (4pm on the account). Got the call from the car transport at about 11am saying car would be delivered between 12:30-1:30. Car was delivered at 1:15pm. Took less that 5 minutes to offload from the flat bed. A few minor defects like a dent in the rear, a paint chip and one paint defect, driver side door panels not matching and what looks like sound proofing hanging out the bottom on both sides...but nothing major and nothing that can't be fixed easily. Other than that the car is awesome and way exceeded expectations., the acceleration is something else. Attracted lots of attention. Someone else that has ordered a model 3 spotted me from 500m away doing laps around the block and hobbled on his dodgy knee to come for a chat. Since I have actually got the car, if other Perth folks want to come for a look, I have been asked to bring it to the Mosman Park Men's shed at 3pm tomorrow for a 1hr look over. At 4pm the AEVA secretary will give a presentation on batteries which I am sure anyone is welcome to attend if interested. I've got other commitments so not going to hang around much after 4pm. Will upload a quick video of the delivery shortly.

Cool - so far we're on one delivery a month in WA
I don't know the current numbers in Australia, but I would hope the states with higher population like NSW and VIC would have a steady stream of 1-3 cars a day after initial rush. QLD at average about 1 per day and the rest of the states slightly less depending on the population numbers. Possibly the numbers would slowly increase over time also as more of those cars on the road might attract more interest in where to get them :)
Australia is large and with no real plan or support from the government it will take a long time to get the EV-s to start replacing the oil burning models, but I suspect the interest will be larger than anticipated after people start seeing them on road.

. Given how many times just people on here have called/e-mailed demanding their car, I'm not surprised they aren't answering the phone or e-mails.
Yup why they should initiate communication or Tesla HQ should automate which they've done to an extent. Ironically at least one Tesla evangelist I've spoken to has told people that haven't received communication that they should have been the ones to call and ask. I haven't for the very reason you give. If I have a question I email and tell them to reply in their own time.

Reactions: TaylorP and smithy