Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect your experience with Tesla depends somewhat in where your location is and which Tesla shop deals with you. You appear to be from Melbourne and most reports from there appear to say the communication is non existent or abysmal and the experience is lacking. I am in Gold Coast and dealing with Brisbane office has been rather pleasant so far. I have not had to chase them on anything yet. They have been calling and contacting me with information and updates and it appears I might be getting my car only 5 weeks after I placed the order (if they stick to their delivery appointment they have given me.) So far I have nothing to complain about my experience with them. I suspect there may be some locations that are more overwhelmed than others. Much of the complaints that I have seen come from a select few people, so I suspect in overall experience over 90% of the customers are not having as bad an experience as you are having. Tesla has so far over half a million customers across the world and if there are a few thousand loud ones on the internet complaining it would make it appear that the experience is horrible, where there are many times more people happy with their experience but just not as loud about it. So I would like to add my voice to the happy customer bucket so far :)

In my case I am from Perth but we are managed by the Melbourne team. Shocking frankly. Yes, there does seem to be a location correlation, but there really shouldn’t be. That’s just a sign of poor management.

Reactions: stuartl
I suspect your experience with Tesla depends somewhat in where your location is and which Tesla shop deals with you. You appear to be from Melbourne and most reports from there appear to say the communication is non existent or abysmal and the experience is lacking. I am in Gold Coast and dealing with Brisbane office has been rather pleasant so far. I have not had to chase them on anything yet. They have been calling and contacting me with information and updates and it appears I might be getting my car only 5 weeks after I placed the order (if they stick to their delivery appointment they have given me.) So far I have nothing to complain about my experience with them. I suspect there may be some locations that are more overwhelmed than others. Much of the complaints that I have seen come from a select few people, so I suspect in overall experience over 90% of the customers are not having as bad an experience as you are having. Tesla has so far over half a million customers across the world and if there are a few thousand loud ones on the internet complaining it would make it appear that the experience is horrible, where there are many times more people happy with their experience but just not as loud about it. So I would like to add my voice to the happy customer bucket so far :)
I can respect that. Thing is, if Melbourne is struggling (and you're correct, I am in Melbourne) whilst other regions are doing okay... what's happening in Melbourne to make the communications look bad? Why can't they at least get some of the staff in the other areas to help with keeping Melbournians informed?

The fundamental problem here is that it's what happens when things go sour that really matters, and really defines perceptions of a company. Having the phone lines ring out after two and a half minutes; emails not replied to even after eight days (calendar, not business); customers wondering what is going on with no formal answers, not even a general (but still reasonably specific, unlike "sit tight, your car is coming soon" as an example) message ... it doesn't paint a good picture.

It reminds me of my experience moving house: once from Melbourne to Auckland; once from Auckland to Sydney; and once from Sydney to Melbourne. I used the same company, Allied Pickfords, for each move. The first two times? Flawless. Would've recommended the company to anyone. But after the Sydney experience, with stuff going missing and being broken in transit, I wouldn't touch them again. Insurance made it right, yes, but that's still a hassle I did not need, especially since it forced me into rushing the unpacking (and I'm still dealing with that for various reasons - which, granted, is on me.) Sure, it's probably just the Sydney guys - but it still colours perception of the company as a whole.

It's a similar situation here: yes, the bad experiences get amplified, but they do help to show what happens when things go wrong. And people do want to know that if something goes bad, it will be sorted without hassle. Having hassles before even taking delivery does not bode well for that, rightly or wrongly.

Delivery here in Perth was scheduled for today at 2pm (4pm on the account). Got the call from the car transport at about 11am saying car would be delivered between 12:30-1:30. Car was delivered at 1:15pm. Took less that 5 minutes to offload from the flat bed. A few minor defects like a dent in the rear, a paint chip and one paint defect, driver side door panels not matching and what looks like sound proofing hanging out the bottom on both sides...but nothing major and nothing that can't be fixed easily. Other than that the car is awesome and way exceeded expectations., the acceleration is something else. Attracted lots of attention. Someone else that has ordered a model 3 spotted me from 500m away doing laps around the block and hobbled on his dodgy knee to come for a chat. Since I have actually got the car, if other Perth folks want to come for a look, I have been asked to bring it to the Mosman Park Men's shed at 3pm tomorrow for a 1hr look over. At 4pm the AEVA secretary will give a presentation on batteries which I am sure anyone is welcome to attend if interested. I've got other commitments so not going to hang around much after 4pm. Will upload a quick video of the delivery shortly.

Did anyone note that there was another M3 on that truck. So there was more than one delivery in Perth!!.

This is not a drill.

Tesla just called me and said my car is ready whenever I want to come get it. That being the first time I can get there is this Friday.
just looked you up on the spreadsheet. You skipped the VIN part and went straight to the delivery call.

If you spreadsheet info is up-to-date, this gives me hope. But I can't have any hope. Hope makes this wait unbearable.

• Informative
Reactions: Techno-phile
cs-jacky pics please :D

Here they are!
IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

just looked you up on the spreadsheet. You skipped the VIN part and went straight to the delivery call.

If you spreadsheet info is up-to-date, this gives me hope. But I can't have any hope. Hope makes this wait unbearable.

I suspect the spreadsheet isn't being updated after the initial submission. With so many deliveries being reported here and on FB and very little movement on the spreadsheet.

It was only after an hour or so with all the neighbours and bunches of eyes coming to check it out that we spotted these small defects, and they are small.
If your car is the blue one posted on YouTube I personally think these defects are unacceptable on a $25k car, let alone a $70k one. I never had a new car with so many defects.

My experience with the Brisbane delivery team has been the opposite. I emailed them for an update 9 days ago, other than the auto-reply I've not seen/heard a word from them.

If you have a mobile number send a text to that number, otherwise give them a call...

They were more responsive before they started doing deliveries...

I received no reply to my last two emails, but that is because i'm in the pipeline and no further action is needed until delivery..

I will try to confirm everything before delivery as it is a 2 hour drive....

Our experience with Brisbane has not been good. Poor communication and people with the same config getting their cars earlier than ours.

We ordered SR+ in MSM.

reservation 21/4/16

submitted order 1/6/19

We don’t get to pick ours up until Monday 7th October. We sold our car early August, so we will have been down a car for 2 months by the time we pick it up. AND that’s if we can trust them on their delivery date. Unhappy customer here.

Priit, we do live in your area, so we might see each other around :)

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Our experience with Brisbane has not been good. Poor communication and people with the same config getting their cars earlier than ours.

We ordered SR+ in MSM.

reservation 21/4/16

submitted order 1/6/19

We don’t get to pick ours up until Monday 7th October. We sold our car early August, so we will have been down a car for 2 months by the time we pick it up. AND that’s if we can trust them on their delivery date. Unhappy customer here.

Priit, we do live in your area, so we might see each other around :)
Once the cars arrive we could go have some coffee on springbrook, beechmont or tambourine? I bet those cars will be great going up the mountains :)

Please don’t post inflammatory ad hominem comments like this one. I will have to start putting some members on temporary holiday from TMC soon.
We sold our car early August, so we will have been down a car for 2 months by the time we pick it up

That's your problem, not Tesla's. The delivery date when ordering says "Est. delivery: month". It never said we guarantee you will have your car on 1 August.

This thread has turned into a pack of toddlers crying in the sandpit because someone else got to play with the car first, then screaming because Toys'R'Us didn't tell them when more toys were being delivered.