Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not convinced individual cars learn.

Do feel like your autopilot learns over time?

I was being a bit tongue in cheek about the learning and the teenager. However as each car operates using an on chip neural net which is ‘trained’ by the software updates, yes in effect there is some semblance of learning on car. However the big hops in knowledge are gained through the software updates. The biggest thing to get your head around is shadow mode. The cars are always at least pretending to drive. They ai is planning what it would do and comparing that with what the driver actually does. When there’s a big difference that is uploaded to Tesla for analysis. That’s how the ‘Tesla hive mind’ works. That analysed data then goes into a future software update. Great example is that is how Tesla’s learned what ducks are, and not to run over them. (Search YouTube... it’s amusing).

For those with no free supercharging (basically all model 3's and newer S and X's) there is no incentive to supercharge as it is expensive compared to other alternatives. Unless you are travelling and/or in need of quick charging, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Which is the whole point really. The Richmond supercharger is there for people driving through Melbourne on the M1, not for locals to get a quick charge or as a place to park while you have dinner. Virtually all charging should be done at home, leaving superchargers for those who actually need them because they are away from home or travelling. As destination chargers increase in numbers, even that use can be reduced as travellers charge overnight at their hotel or motel.

It is showing me that I often sit to the left of the centre of the lane, as when it is engaged, it often moves the car over to the centre.

Lol I had same experience when I first test drove an S. I turned on autopilot and it’s as if it was thinking “oh you’d like me to drive would you well let’s start by driving in the middle of the lane shall we” as it twitches a few inches to the left.

Many older S & X vehicles have free for life supercharging and effectively paid for that upfront in the cost of the vehicle. For those with no free supercharging (basically all model 3's and newer S and X's) there is no incentive to supercharge as it is expensive compared to other alternatives. Unless you are travelling and/or in need of quick charging, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

If I am not mistaken they have brought back free supercharging for S and X, so only 3 has to pay for supercharging.
Which is the whole point really. The Richmond supercharger is there for people driving through Melbourne on the M1, not for locals to get a quick charge or as a place to park while you have dinner. Virtually all charging should be done at home, leaving superchargers for those who actually need them because they are away from home or travelling. As destination chargers increase in numbers, even that use can be reduced as travellers charge overnight at their hotel or motel.

It is great to say that you should not use it and should only charge at home, but the reality is that it can happen that in the middle of the day you find out that you need to do another couple of hundred KM-s in the afternoon and cannot take car home for a few hours to charge so you will use the supercharger to top it up to ensure you will not run out of electrons. Specially if you are on SR+ that has real world range of 350-400KM depending on driving conditions.
I agree that in most cases you try to charge at home, but the supercharger is there in case you need it even if you live just next door and need to top up charge quickly.

Many older S & X vehicles have free for life supercharging and effectively paid for that upfront in the cost of the vehicle. For those with no free supercharging (basically all model 3's and newer S and X's) there is no incentive to supercharge as it is expensive compared to other alternatives. Unless you are travelling and/or in need of quick charging, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think those with SR+ who are travelling anything other than a local-ish journey are going to want to use them more frequently than others, purely on the basis that with practical range limited to around 350km, you'll want to recharge quickly over a break stop etc.

It is great to say that you should not use it and should only charge at home, but the reality is that it can happen that in the middle of the day you find out that you need to do another couple of hundred KM-s in the afternoon and cannot take car home for a few hours to charge so you will use the supercharger to top it up to ensure you will not run out of electrons. Specially if you are on SR+ that has real world range of 350-400KM depending on driving conditions.
I agree that in most cases you try to charge at home, but the supercharger is there in case you need it even if you live just next door and need to top up charge quickly.
That squarely puts you into the "traveller" use case! If you have driven your overnight charge 400km, then popping into the Supercharger to get a hit of sweet-sweet juice so that you can do a few more hundred in the afternoon is completely fine.

My argument is against people who unnecessarily favour supercharging instead of local home charging, essentially abusing a limited resource and preventing other people with greater need from charging .

Last edited:
Tesla have to do something about the number of chargers there, or build another lot with more somewhere else in the city (Docklands maybe). With the flood of Model-3's about to hit this Supercharger point will become a joke, it has already been bad for a while now with just the S & X's on the road, log on to your app and pretty much from early am to late pm there is 4/4 being used.
Agree. I went there Sat evening and all spots were taken by Model S and Model X cars. And i can see these superchargers being coveted by newer Model 3 buyers as well..Definitely need more superchargers in the CBD or even at Richmond HQ.

I'm not convinced individual cars learn.

Do feel like your autopilot learns over time?
I think it’s more of a calibration of sensors.

I presume learning is from the central Nero network. The Nero network builds the logic from fleet learning then downloads the new rules sets to the car. All validated by ghost driving first.

The Nero network is why Tesla is the clear leader in automotive autonomy. No other car company has a massive fleet of cars connected to a Nero network. The network will just keep learning and get better and better.

Totally agree and I have free supercharging, but to have just four chargers in a major city where they are always occupied isn't ideal.
If you are coming from the east, say Sale or Lake Entrance and you are in a standard range S or X you are going to have to charge in Melbourne if you want to continue heading west to Ballarat or Warrnambool (the next Superchargers).
If you are forced to wait an hour or so before you even start charging this is far from ideal and unfortunately this happens at this charge point regularly.

I think it’s more of a calibration of sensors.

Are you talking about the calibration that needs to occur before you can use some features? From the manual ...

Calibration Model 3 must maneuver with a great deal of precision when Autopilot features are being used. Therefore, before some features (for example, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control or Autosteer) can be used for the first time, some cameras must complete a self-calibration process. Calibration typically completes after driving 20-25 miles (32-40 km), but the distance varies depending on road and environmental conditions. Driving on a straight road with highly-visible lane lines allows Model 3 to calibrate quicker. When calibration is complete, the features are available for use.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
When charging is complete and you don't unhook, then you pay up to $1.30 a minute for remaining hooked up and idle (if 50%+ chargers hooked up). That has nothing to do with the signage. If you stay there unhooked then you are worse than an icehole.

Didn't say it had anything to do with signage. Also, in my limited experience, people have left their cars there for more than the allocated 45mins. For eg. Sat night went to use the supercharger and it was full and cars were sitting there from around 4pm onwards. I'm guessing people have gone out for the footy or for dinner and left cars there? Lets not even get into how many alternative EV parking spots are regularly ICED!! With more EV's on the road and increasing with newer model 3 owners, Tesla need to increase capacity as demand will outstrip availability.

I completely disagree. I have absolutely every incentive to use the supercharger in Richmond. I don't have a garage at home so can't install the HPWC. I have public chargers closer to me but they charge slower so approximately around 3-4 hours. I am about a 15min drive to Richmond. At $11 for a charge in 45mins, it is terribly convenient for me to use them and I would do it again rather than using public charger and paying the same amount for parking fee..

The cars do not learn.

They gather information which is sent back to the mothership , that is used to update the NN and that is then later uploaded as a firmware update back to the cars.

SIGH I’m sorry I didn’t mean to start an argument I was trying to be encouraging about autopilot to somebody who appeared to not want to give it a chance.

As for learning, there are some basic ‘remember and repeat’ functions locally in the car. To the layperson ‘remember and repeat ‘ may not qualify as artificial intelligence learning but my professor who taught me AI at Monash University many years ago would differ with that opinion. Remember and repeat is the most basic form of AI (usually with some sort of feedback loop to provide justification for the decision, or at the very least the more times an action is performed the more likely the ai is to repeat it). The cars can learn some basic things like raise the air suspension at this point cos there’s a steep driveway or a serious bump to go through and you don’t want to scratch your nose. The individual car can remember that and repeat it AND advise Tesla of the fact so that other cars do the same things (presumably when confirmed by sensors and repetition so they’re not just copying one drivers preferences blindly).

Since this is a model 3 discussion and air suspension is s and x only my thought might be off topic. I have no idea what tidbits of info model 3 may remember and repeat but the car is certainly capable of remember and repeat locally.

Anyway sorry I didn’t mean to start an argument but saying the car doesn’t learn is perhaps in layman’s terms true, but technically it actually does at what might seem an overly simplistic level.

Sorry @WoodWombat Where did you get the information from that the superchargers are only for people driving thru Melb? I don't have access to a HPWC @ home so why can't I use it for a quick top up (45 min limit)? And also I agree with earlier post regarding if you are out and about in the city, it is easier to top up at Tesla Richmond than having to go back home and charge..

Since this is a model 3 discussion and air suspension is s and x only my thought might be off topic. I have no idea what tidbits of info model 3 may remember and repeat but the car is certainly capable of remember and repeat locally.

They can add location based actions, not sure thats anything to do with (machine) learning though, but I know some of that is fed back to other cars.

I'm guessing the 3 can fold its mirrors in based on geolocation + door opener, not sure what else it can do

I was being a bit tongue in cheek about the learning and the teenager. However as each car operates using an on chip neural net which is ‘trained’ by the software updates, yes in effect there is some semblance of learning on car. However the big hops in knowledge are gained through the software updates. The biggest thing to get your head around is shadow mode. The cars are always at least pretending to drive. They ai is planning what it would do and comparing that with what the driver actually does. When there’s a big difference that is uploaded to Tesla for analysis. That’s how the ‘Tesla hive mind’ works. That analysed data then goes into a future software update. Great example is that is how Tesla’s learned what ducks are, and not to run over them. (Search YouTube... it’s amusing).

This reminds me of the short story by Greg Egan, The Jewel. Highly recommended for you hard science fiction buffs. He is also an Aussie. Very underrated author.
Axiomatic (story collection) - Wikipedia

Reactions: adee and Tigger
Totally agree and I have free supercharging, but to have just four chargers in a major city where they are always occupied isn't ideal.
If you are coming from the east, say Sale or Lake Entrance and you are in a standard range S or X you are going to have to charge in Melbourne if you want to continue heading west to Ballarat or Warrnambool (the next Superchargers).
If you are forced to wait an hour or so before you even start charging this is far from ideal and unfortunately this happens at this charge point regularly.
Ideally, we need superchargers on the outskirts of Melbourne on the M1 on both sides of Melbourne, as well as on the M31 and M8. Maybe the M79 as well. Far more space for larger charging stations, and no need for people driving through Melbourne to detour into the back streets of Richmond. The same could be said for Sydney as well.

It does look like the EV revolution is finally kicking off in Australia, so there should be money for this sort of thing soon. At least us Model 3 owners will be able to take advantage of other networks like Chargefox. Has anyone seen the CCS 2 Tesla adapter in Australia yet, for the S and X people to do the same?

I completely disagree. I have absolutely every incentive to use the supercharger in Richmond. I don't have a garage at home so can't install the HPWC. I have public chargers closer to me but they charge slower so approximately around 3-4 hours. I am about a 15min drive to Richmond. At $11 for a charge in 45mins, it is terribly convenient for me to use them and I would do it again rather than using public charger and paying the same amount for parking fee..

The 50kW fast charger in Swinburne University is another option for you. It is slower but it is free.