Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, that explains why I don't have any news on my car, the Melbourne staff are too busy dealing with Sydney deliveries.

Still VINLESS and over 3 weeks since I have heard anything from Tesla.

How many blue P3D+ with black interiors have been delivered? I am starting to feel like the just neglected to order any, and it will be months before they get to this variant. Anyone else in the same boat?

P3D+ white/black interior here, still without hidden VIN and no estimate for delivery.

Voicemail and e-mail received from Tesla Brisbane just now. Was terrified I'd be getting one of those "your delivery is now mid/late October" calls, but nope. Both were confirming delivery for tomorrow and reminding me to bring the trade-in vehicle. :D

Email says they aim to complete handover in 15 minutes.

They also requested proof of rego. Anyone know what counts for that?

Brisbane has about 50 cars in and below the store at the moment. I did see a trolley full of 12v batteries being replaced. Overall, the place was very busy.

28F91D9A-2673-4D7E-9FDB-1522E58AC78B.jpeg

Picked up the Red P3D+ yesterday at Alexandria. Everything I've read/watch/heard about the car on the internet is true so far, both good and bad.

Bad: tl;dr Panel gaps are a thing (honestly if I hadn't read so much about the car I would never have even cared to check or notice them), fit, finish and polish needs some work (more details below if you care to read)

Good: Car is absolutely amazing to drive, one pedal driving ftw. The car is so quick and I'm not talking about acceleration, I'm talking about jumping in and being able to drive: sit in the seat, shift to D and you're off, none of this start the engine, shift into gear, release handbrake nonsense. The slowest thing in the whole process is putting your seat belt on.

Other: Asked about digital radio since it was a hot topic, the rep didn't know and based on what I observed, its not there. The Spotify app doesn't seem to pick up shared playlists (my partner owns a playlist that is shared with me, this doesn't show up after signing in). Homelink is being sent from the US. Web browser was active in the car.

Bad expanded:
Rear door chrome trip doesn't quite align, boot panel gap is larger on one side, car has light scuffing in various places, a small bit of paint around the tow hook cap has chipped off, the 12v battery cover piece is missing a clip, the rear bumper corner is slightly lifting on the driver side (seems like missing or loose clip?), the plastic piece running along the bottom of the windshield around the wiper motors was not clipped in properly, some dust under the paint work, some internal scuffs, and finally a small hole on the wood trim.

Bad expanded:

a small bit of paint around the tow hook cap has chipped off, .

Tow Hook Cap ???? I was told tow hitch has to be fitted after delivery and was not yet available in australia!

EDIT: Ooooh you probably mean the front bumper cap where the hook to 'tow the car' goes.... sorry my bad

EDIT2: It just occurred to me why they might have had that tow hook cap off. If the 12V batteries truely were dead on arrival in Australia, they wouldn't have been able to unlock or open the doors or frunk when they drag it out of the container. Inside that cap as well as being where you screw in the tow hook - there's a pair of wires that you pull out and temporarily connect a 12V battery or some other 12V power source, to give power to unlock the car, fire up the computer, and trigger the frunk to unlock, so you can then get in to replace the dead battery. So they would have had to pull that cap off to get to those wires for the external power source.

EDIT3: Makes me wonder how much of their profit margin they've eaten esp on SR+'s with all the mucking about they've had to do with batteries and brake fluid etc etc in this first batch brought into Aus.

Otherwise - yes that is a lot of issues. Not great - the saddest thing is I'm not particularly surprised.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Anubis
(honestly if I hadn't read so much about the car I would never have even cared to check or notice them)

Pretty much sums it up. And I bet you never did this with any other car you have ever purchased. Like another member posted a few days ago, he saw the panel gaps then went to check his VW GTI and...whoops, they weren't very good (think he said worse).

Of course there are issues that need to be addressed by Tesla (and you have a few of them), but there is also an awful lot of overblown ranting about non-issues that no one pays any attention to with other car manufacturers. Remember too, with a large amount of Tesla stock shorted there is a lot of money attempting to drive down Tesla, and a lot of the panel gaps, paint issues etc are being blown out of proportion on the internet by shorts. There is no focus on these issues with other car makers (and yes they do have panel gaps and paint issues, you just don't look close enough).

Chances are someone will scrape it an a car park in first few weeks and won't tell you...nothing quite beats that feeling when you get home and see scrapes or scratches on your car that some a'hole has done and hasn't had the decency to tell you.

Last edited:
Picked up the Red P3D+ yesterday at Alexandria. Everything I've read/watch/heard about the car on the internet is true so far, both good and bad.

Bad: tl;dr Panel gaps are a thing (honestly if I hadn't read so much about the car I would never have even cared to check or notice them), fit, finish and polish needs some work (more details below if you care to read)

Good: Car is absolutely amazing to drive, one pedal driving ftw. The car is so quick and I'm not talking about acceleration, I'm talking about jumping in and being able to drive: sit in the seat, shift to D and you're off, none of this start the engine, shift into gear, release handbrake nonsense. The slowest thing in the whole process is putting your seat belt on.

Other: Asked about digital radio since it was a hot topic, the rep didn't know and based on what I observed, its not there. The Spotify app doesn't seem to pick up shared playlists (my partner owns a playlist that is shared with me, this doesn't show up after signing in). Homelink is being sent from the US. Web browser was active in the car.

Bad expanded:
Rear door chrome trip doesn't quite align, boot panel gap is larger on one side, car has light scuffing in various places, a small bit of paint around the tow hook cap has chipped off, the 12v battery cover piece is missing a clip, the rear bumper corner is slightly lifting on the driver side (seems like missing or loose clip?), the plastic piece running along the bottom of the windshield around the wiper motors was not clipped in properly, some dust under the paint work, some internal scuffs, and finally a small hole on the wood trim.
What did you leave with them to fix? What did they agree with?

Just had my wall charger installed in the garage. Took one person 3 hours, he did a great job. $450 in Sydney.

Wow, how easy was your installation? We have just accepted a quote for $1,093.61, and it’s not that far from the box, just one room between and there’s plenty of room in the roof. Seems a big difference! Anyone able to give other costs?

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I have paid for FSD. hmm how to tell in the car if it FSD is enabled?

In the Phone App you should have the 'summon' option. I'm actually not sure how to tell from the main screen menu's - it's in the manual but I can't remember off top of my head. (I kinda skipped the navigate on autopilot section as I didn't want to tempt myself to pay yet more $$ :cool: )

What did you leave with them to fix? What did they agree with?

So I didn't see everything in the 15 min handover period. I only noticed the dust under the paint, light scuffing (its kinda like scratches on the clear coat that's visible under certain lighting, honestly these marks would probably show up eventually just from wear and tear but I also understand that its meant to be a new car and it shouldn't have them), the paint chip, the panel misalignment.

They noted down and took photos of all the scratches, dust under paint and paint chip. The rep said the panel gaps was a 'feature', I wasn't super fussed so I let go. After going home and taking a closer look I found all the other stuff. I emailed them asking about what to do, but judging from what others have said it might be using the service option in the app to note them down. I've yet to hear back from them.

Wow, how easy was your installation? We have just accepted a quote for $1,093.61, and it’s not that far from the box, just one room between and there’s plenty of room in the roof. Seems a big difference! Anyone able to give other costs?

Ouch $1000+ is way too much if it's simple install. I booked my local sparky, who has never done a Tesla one before but was eager to try it. He's quoted $400 for a roughly 15m cable run (I'm only doing 16amp so will lock down the wall charger to it's 3kw option with the dip switches) but he's running an over-spec cable which will I think be either 2.5mm or 4mm quite thick, to avoid it heating too much (it runs over the top of my bedroom so hey - I don't want no fires!). So basically he's specing the cable at 25amp over the ~15m run but I'm only putting a 16amp breaker, and setting the dip switches in the Tesla wall charger to it's 3kw 16amp mode. Also note that you must have a dedicated RCD for your charger circuit - make sure they don't skimp on that. They can use the new RCD's which are Breaker/RCD in one. (RCD = Residual Current Device - i.e. safety switch)

On the other side of the equation I go over to my dear old mum's place frequently (other side of town so I stay a night or two and do gardening/maintenance) so I'm buying a MyEnergi Zappi charger to do solar diversion for her place. She has electric oven, 3 x split system air conditioners, and of course it's an old house so her panel is currently full. So having to pay $1900 on top of the Zappi cost, to basically re-wire her panel. That includes replacing all of her breakers on every circuit with the new RCD/Breaker combined ones. So all good - 'not' setting my mums house on fire I figure is a 'good thing' eh!

Saw my first M3 out in the wild yesterday. Red SR+ heading for Seaforth from Spit bridge Northen Beaches.
Looked fantastic and I was very envious. I followed and admired for a short distance and went past on my motorbike

I got a call just now from Tesla to bring forward my pickup time :)
From Friday afternoon 27th to tomorrow lunchtime 26th Sept, Sydney Alexandria.
Blue M3 P-
Reserved Oct 2018
Ordered June 1 2019

It finally feels like this is really happening. I Hope you other P-'s get a similar call.

Insurance arranged with NRMA and they came up with a reasonable figure.
$1380, $1500 excess, all glass covered no limits, parked in driveway - no garage. Over 50 insurer. No claims no accidents etc....

Reactions: apchoo and Hairyman
…... but there is also an awful lot of overblown ranting about non-issues that no one pays any attention to with other car manufacturers. Remember too, with a large amount of Tesla stock shorted there is a lot of money attempting to drive down Tesla, and a lot of the panel gaps, paint issues etc are being blown out of proportion on the internet by shorts. There is no focus on these issues with other car makers (and yes they do have panel gaps and paint issues, you just don't look close enough)....

People shorting Tesla stock has nothing to do with their inability to fix ongoing paint, production and third party logistics issues.
You just need to look at peoples delivery experiences in this thread and see how far things need to improve. Many of the issues appear to be caused due to the crappy handling by the butter-hook delivery companies. If this was managed better many of negative delivery experience issues simply would not exist.
It's just inefficient and more costly to Tesla to have all of these issues logged to be fixed another day.
The model 3 has been in production for a few years now, plenty of time to gets things sorted. I'm sure there are plenty of great delivery experiences too, but often they get less press. I'm hoping for a good delivery experience :) ..Let's see.

We all want Tesla to excel and do better.