Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is for the LR AWD people. 2 days ago I sent an email to the Syd delivery address suggesting I would be happy to take a P- instead of the LR AWD I had ordered (if that would speed up my delivery). This morning I got a call (in response to the email) offering me a P- for pickup this Sunday! Woohoo - all that waiting and suddenly boom - it's happening.

My account now has a hidden VIN - won't miss checking for that 3 times a day!

My M3P is getting opticoated at the moment and the guy had an amazing little device that you put on a panel and it reads the thickness of the paint in nm (I never new this existed). Most parts of my deep blue M3P were about 120nm thick with a few areas as high as 140nm and in a few areas as low as 115nm.

He said that 120nm is OK, but not excellent. Machine painted cars have less paint on them (he has seen top level hand painted jobs up to 600nm thick). He also said Mazda is one of the worst with often less than 100nm. He also said Teslas have "harder" paint so they are more difficult to cut back to remove imperfections than most cars.

My car had a LOT of minor scratches on the paintwork when delivered (more than a dozen areas) but most should buff out (we will see). There was only one bubble in the paint very low on the side behind a rear wheel that is not noticeable enough to get Tesla to fix.

My car was delivered yesterday, and I have read many times on these forums "How can you be happy paying $100k for a car that is delivered with so many imperfections?" and my answer is, THIS CAR IS SO BLOODY AWESOME I DON'T CARE!!!! I'm sure the exterior will have a bunch of door dings and scratches over the next few months anyway.

First passengers I took for a spin was 3x 50+ year old business men, that are usually pretty dignified and reserved. None of them had ever driven in an electric car (or considered buying one). First WOT all of them let out an expletive, then just started giggling like schoolgirls and were uncontrollably giggling every time I punched it. Not bad given the almost 400kg extra of blokes added to the kerb weight of the car. ALL of them said that they would be considering one for their next car purchase.

I am used to a fast car (coming out of a APR tuned Golf R with 0-100 in 3.9sec) but this thing is next level. It just punches you SO BLOODY HARD back into your seat, then is serene and silent cruising around town. Just SO AWESOME.

And for a few of us who haven't got any VIN yet. It would be really appreciated if you could continue doing this.

Melbourne staff told me on last Saturday that they had enough cars for up to Oct 4th. And none was assigned to me. Not sure if she included Debussy because at the time, your spreadsheet said she would arrive on the 4th. I was told I would not hear anything until October.

Probably the Melina is the last ship that they have considered for this EoQ. ANL tongala docking on the 30th of September will be the first ship for the new quarter (if it carries any model 3).

Probably the Melina is the last ship that they have considered for this EoQ. ANL tongala docking on the 30th of September will be the first ship for the new quarter (if it carries any model 3).
You and I are waiting for the same spec of cars, aren't we, red/black P3D+ Melbourne?

If it's not the Debussy that the Melbourne staff was mentioning then it put me in a bit more at ease. This boat spotting science or craft is beyond my comprehension.

WooHoo.......!

Just missed a call from Tesla. Rang back but of course didn't get through. I'm not far from the Richmond Service Centre so I drove over and dropped in.

10 minute wait after explaining the situation politely (delivery due Monday, missed call, is there a problem, can I help?).
Then the good news once someone was assigned to run down my problem: your car is here - is pickup at 5:30 PM ok?

Fine I say (don't do a Toyota Leap with joy - wrong place for it. Stiff upper lip...). Now time to activate insurance and check the public transport timetables to get me there 5 minutes ahead of time.

Full marks to the Telsa Crew in Richmond: they are obviously completely under the pump and stressed, but very friendly and polite. Well done them.

(P3-, VIN 4882XX)

You and I are waiting for the same spec of cars, aren't we, red/black P3D+ Melbourne?

If it's not the Debussy that the Melbourne staff was mentioning then it put me in a bit more at ease. This boat spotting science or craft is beyond my comprehension.

Yes, same spec and also in Melbourne.
Any of the 3 ships docking in Sydney on 30/09, 05/10 or 11/10 will nicely meet the delivery before the end of October promised by Tesla.

This is for the LR AWD people. 2 days ago I sent an email to the Syd delivery address suggesting I would be happy to take a P- instead of the LR AWD I had ordered (if that would speed up my delivery). This morning I got a call (in response to the email) offering me a P- for pickup this Sunday! Woohoo - all that waiting and suddenly boom - it's happening.

My account now has a hidden VIN - won't miss checking for that 3 times a day!
What are the differences between the P3- and LR AWD, and how much extra is it costing you?

I’ve just found my own registration number and vin pop up in qld. Delivery scheduled for tomorrow.

Congratulations! You've done a huge amount of work tracking ships/vehicles, which every model 3 buyer on here should be eternally grateful. I hope your car is perfect when you pick up and you enjoy it as much as I think you will

Just went to evolution in Clayton (Vic) and got my zappi and a type 2 cable

Russel very helpful and did a little photo shoot with my car charging out front lol.

To answer how long does it take to charge.. quite a while cos people keep coming over to talk about it and sit in it and ooh and aah lol

Attachments

• 5CA74900-4693-4D40-A8F6-01E4B9291B54.jpeg
    5CA74900-4693-4D40-A8F6-01E4B9291B54.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1st in Line
So, struggling with the USB phone charger cable and the plastic fitting (yes yes I know there is wireless charging now but I still have my 7+) and figured it should fit better. So one YouTube video later and I realise that premium interiors (elsewhere at least) included the cables (which have the right angle etc, listed in -online store- brochure https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...U/M3_Accessories_Digital_Brochure_AU_0906.pdf ).
I went and double-checked the dark depths of the middle console and alas no cables.

So, the question... did anyone with premium interior get these cables included with their M3?

Confirmed today with service centre, who double checked, that these USB cables are not included and are only available as accessories.

Oh no!

I literally just responded saying best of luck too!
That's really upsetting :( I'm sorry to hear mate.

At least yours is sooner than 21st though!

Hopefully they bring mine up with yours and drop it off along the way and bring me forward haha!
Damn, I've made this confusing ahhaha. I've had the original delivery call. No calls after. I still have my original delivery date (10th October) so your first comment still stands. So sorry for the confusion.

Just to be clear, I haven't had any correspondence from Tesla regarding any delays to my order.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
This is for the LR AWD people. 2 days ago I sent an email to the Syd delivery address suggesting I would be happy to take a P- instead of the LR AWD I had ordered (if that would speed up my delivery). This morning I got a call (in response to the email) offering me a P- for pickup this Sunday! Woohoo - all that waiting and suddenly boom - it's happening!
Hmmm... I haven’t ordered yet, but I wonder if I rang them up or sent them an email asking if they had a spare P- they would sell me one?

Reactions: jontyh
Yeah, my monies come from a small inheritance. I ordered the car, then had the car downgraded by better half ('too expensive'), and now she wants to be the driver on a daily basis even though I am paying. I get to take the train! :( There is much to be said for Tesla marketing as a luxury car. Some times I think people read too much into this. It will be interesting to see what she thinks when she drives it. Damn it, should have gotten the Performance. That would have scared her :)

BTW, will look into new solar plan. EA are killing me with their 50 cents KWh on peak. Ugh!!! Lucky recharge is overnight...

In Sydney too.

EA have a "no frills" package which brings that down to 23c / kWh flat rate all day.

My delivery is early tomorrow in Brisbane also. No rego yet. No reminder call yet. Date and time hasn’t changed so I image the wheels are turning slowly somewhere.

This is the drawback of buying a car “ early” and visiting this site lots (my bad). The urge to compare minutiae.

.........bummer. Just been bumped to Saturday. Could have been worse. I avoided making any concrete plans for the weekend. The lesson young grasshopper is, a Tesla in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I will moderate my expectations for Saturday just in case.

Reactions: MonicaPlease