Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my Lexus repaired at 2000km. Someone touched it at the lights. The panel beater told me it has been repaired before. I purchased it new. He pointed over his shoulder to the workshop which was all Mercedes and Lexus and said. Half those are brand new and it’s super common for them to get damaged In transit, delivery etc. I remember feeling quite upset my baby had been repaired before I even picked it up. And no one told me.... the difference here is Tesla just deliver.

Just curious, have you asked Tesla how they will do this? Because they require payment 2 days before you pick up the car and they don’t take Cheques. So basically you will have paid for your car, which will be registered in your name and won’t be taking it home.

I asked them at the Sydney office and they weren’t amenable to paying at the time of pickup... it was basically take it or leave it. They wouldn’t even schedule a delivery time without payment in full. I suspect they would have no qualms reassigning your car to someone else.

I suspect once the rush of orders is done they will be more accommodating.
Actually in NZ under the Consumer Guarantees Act if goods are damaged in transit for delivery you can refuse to take possession of the goods. If the damage is ‘minor’ the supplier can attempt to fix the damage or repair the goods, if the damage is substantial you are entitled to new goods or a total refund. So I assume if you refuse to accept the car due to minor damage the. TESLA can’t just reassign the car elsewhere, they are required to repair or offer you a total replacement.

No I haven't talked to them nor heard anything from them at all at this stage but it's something I'll have to ask as it gets closer. Did you have to sign a contract to take delivery? I can't see how they'd actually force you to take it if it's not up to scratch.
They do want to have payment done before the delivery from what I understand, but the 24-48 hours is apparently negotiable, as I got finance approval less than 24 hours before delivery. I believe the finance company did the payment the night before picking up right after approval though. On pickup they let you inspect the car to your satisfaction. Mine had no visible defects, so I did not have to note anything. Then they ask if you have any questions and if you are happy with it and then they give you an iPad where you need to sign with your finger to accept the car. I suspect if you were not happy, you could refuse to sign unless they remedy the issues you find.

• Informative
Reactions: MonicaPlease
I picked up on Friday and I've just had a chance to go over the car thoroughly, a couple of dimples, a couple of instances where something has taken the paint off and the top glass isn't aligned both sides where the front glass meets the back, the glass isn't the same width and the "chrome" above the glass on the drivers side is scuffed.

And a minor design irk - the mobile charger doesn't fit in it's "pocket" on the left side of the boot, on the model S it fits quite nicely.

Photos here - Picked up my new Australian Tesla Model 3 two days ago, just had a good inspection

How picky would you be ? I don't know what they can do about the glass - I did notice that on pickup and they took photos, the rubs in the paint I think should be fixed and so should the chrome. I've had to postpone getting the roof glass tinted pending what Tesla say about the glass.

No. The phone just has to be with you. And when you press the handle. It will unlock

It had stopped working for me over the past few days. I had to go in the Tesla app and actually select unlock car in there.

Then later I got a call and it didn't go into the car. So I went in the "Phone" settings on the Telsa and there it was only showing "initializing...". I did a soft reboot of the car and now everything is back into normal.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
They do want to have payment done before the delivery from what I understand, but the 24-48 hours is apparently negotiable, as I got finance approval less than 24 hours before delivery. I believe the finance company did the payment the night before picking up right after approval though. On pickup they let you inspect the car to your satisfaction. Mine had no visible defects, so I did not have to note anything. Then they ask if you have any questions and if you are happy with it and then they give you an iPad where you need to sign with your finger to accept the car. I suspect if you were not happy, you could refuse to sign unless they remedy the issues you find.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, like regardless of whether they have the money or not what are they going to do if you say I'm not taking this dented car? Clearly there's a lineup of people who aren't as fussy with these things so it's not like refusing one would cause them any major headaches.

I'm hoping for a smooth and painless delivery but jeez all these reported issues are a little concerning!

Took delivery on my blue P3D- this morning at Alexandria, was so surprised at how many other groups were also waiting for their new Tesla on a Sunday morning. A quick look around the car showed no glaring issues, just about to run through the checklist. Car drives like an absolute dream, with that instant acceleration when you punch it being breath-taking and addictive. Software version was 2019.15, with an update all ready to install, which it's doing now.
MVIMG_20190929_100247.jpg

I had my Lexus repaired at 2000km. Someone touched it at the lights. The panel beater told me it has been repaired before. I purchased it new. He pointed over his shoulder to the workshop which was all Mercedes and Lexus and said. Half those are brand new and it’s super common for them to get damaged In transit, delivery etc. I remember feeling quite upset my baby had been repaired before I even picked it up. And no one told me.... the difference here is Tesla just deliver.

Yeah this is very common. In some states in the US based on the percentage of the value of the repairs it has to be disclosed. Here there is no requirement for disclosure.