Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having problems scheduling an appointment for fixing the car? No matter what suburb I type it only comes up with Richmond VIC and Brisbane.

Attachments

• 93D9E3E0-205F-4AAE-9DB4-C92BCC39E5A8.png
    93D9E3E0-205F-4AAE-9DB4-C92BCC39E5A8.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 60
Anyone else having problems scheduling an appointment for fixing the car? No matter what suburb I type it only comes up with Richmond VIC and Brisbane.

Both Sydney centers are either booked out or they have blocked all online bookings. Given how under prepared they were to deliver our cars it should come as no surprise they’re under prepared to fix them too.

Today I drove Melbourne to Albury and back in my blue sr+. Used Euroa and Banawatha chargefox ABB on way up the stopped at wodonga supercharger and euroa supercharger on way back (didn’t need to stop at wodonga but just wanted to see it so only charged about 3 mins.

On autopilot Car suddenly slowed hard freaking out at the shadow of a tree across the road once. Didn’t do it when it saw another car ahead dive into the shadows tho so only did it the once when I had no car ahead of me (that’s my theory anyway, who knows it’s reasoning). This made me extra vigilant about being on autopilot if somebody was behind me, esp bloody great 4x4’s with bull bars. Note that when it brakes unnecessarily slamming your foot on the accelerator doesn’t help. Wrench the steering wheel or flick the stalk up while slamming the accelerator to get out of it. (Accelerator press when autopilot is deliberately slowing/braking seemed to have no effect until u turn autopilot off).

Naturally take the above with a grain of salt as it’s not a statistically significant sample of autopilot observations. (It actually did the unnecessary slowing several times which is where I realised the accelerator thing but only once did it slow harshly, That hard shadow and no car in front, the other times it slowed slightly for no apparent reason but presumably odd road markings etc. I think I’d describe it as being timid.

Also freaked out reversing into supercharger kept thinking the shadow of the car and the black tyre stopper thing on ground were things to avoid. (Scared of it’s own shadow?? lol). This didn’t bother me I’d rather it braked and I double checked and retried than reverse into a kid or something,

Other than that absolutely awesome drive. Love it to bits.

Btw those chargefox chargers are still free. And supercharger was in my free 1500km so the most expensive thing today was Mc Donald’s breakfast. (When did two bacon and egg McMuffin meals with medium drinks become $17.... sheeesh....)
Did you have to use any connectors for these chargefox ones?

Did you have to use any connectors for these chargefox ones?

No no the chargefox (ABB) chargers are 350kw ultra chargers with both ccs2 and chademo connectors, they plug straight in to Tesla model 3. Use chargefox app to authenticate. (Although I’ve found the app a bit hit and miss so going to call them tomorrow and request an rfid tag).

Each of those two sites Euroa and Barnawatha (probably spelling it wrong ) has 2 x 350kw ABB ultra chargers, and 2 x Australian made Tritium vefill 50kw chargers. (Tritium - made in brisbane - also makes 350kw ultra chargers being deployed in Europe by the hundreds, not aware of any in Australia but I hope to see more of them in future). Barnawatha has spare bays with no chargers for expansion. I hope we Tesla owners use these regularly as chargefox is a startup surviving on large investments of taxpayer dollars plus funds from racq racv nrma etc etc... please oh please use them. Also u have to manually tell Tesla nav where they are... use plugshare or chargefox app for addresses. They’re on free vend mode right now but I want to see the day where they’re confident to start billing in the hope that offering ev rapid charging becomes a profitable enterprise.

Again, tritium, an Australian company based in Brisbane, using dc rectifiers made by RectifierTtechnologies an Australian manufacturer, both listed on ASX, make faster DC chargers than Tesla!!!! Despite our stupid government and the Murdoch media that controls it.

Can I just point again the Tritium 350kw chargers are faster than the Tesla supercharger v3. And they’re made in Australia!!!!!

As I said in my previous post the stupid thing about today was that the most expensive part of driving Melbourne to Albury and back (for the fun of it) was the McDonald’s breakfast! I both love and hate that. We need ev charging to become stand alone profitable.

So can I just suggest one thing to all you model 3 (ccs charging) owners. RACV, racq, nrma, Vic govt, Nsw govt, qld govt, (presumably other govts as well I don’t know) have tipped a pretty penny into the chargefox network, please use it, at the very least alternate between Tesla and ‘others’. If Tesla’s are 80% of the ev market and we don’t use the ‘other’ chargers, they won’t succeed and the conversion to ev will be held up/stall. Chargefox is Australian, go use it!!!!

(And no I’m not a rep of chargefox, I’m just a model 3 owner of 4 days, finally appreciating the realities, and the fact that Australian companies like chargefox and tritium are actually at the forefront of EV adoption in spite of our governments lies and obfuscation - ev will ruin your weekend, what a load of nonsense- go take your Tesla and support an Aussie company occasionally (like chargefox and tritium), otherwise they will not be able to expand as we need them to.

My 2c rant over... feel free to flame me.

Last edited:
Can I just point out these are faster than the Tesla supercharger v3.
If your car can charge at 800v, then yes, these 350kW chargers can be faster than a Tesla V3. However, since we drive 400v Tesla's, the most that you will get out of a 350kW charger is around 200kW, and that only in a Model 3 with long range pack. The V3 Tesla charger will deliver 250kW in the same situation.

Reactions: baillies
Yes, you are indeed wrong :)

The new Torquay 350kW charger is the only ultra-fast unit charging at the moment. Euroa and Barnawatha are free. Best way to see this is to download the ChargeFox app.

Oh really.., my Tesla wall connector install is Tuesday morning, then (ironically, and since I have a couple days off work) was planning o drive down to Torquay and try it. It’s ok I don’t mind paying... I want to pay!!! Making them free won’t make more of them appear where we want/need them so the sooner they start billing us the better imho

If your car can charge at 800v, then yes, these 350kW chargers can be faster than a Tesla V3. However, since we drive 400v Tesla's, the most that you will get out of a 350kW charger is around 200kW, and that only in a Model 3 with long range pack. The V3 Tesla charger will deliver 250kW in the same situation.

Semantics, you get my point. The irony that Australian companies are producing kit that is top of the league globally, while our ridiculous government says you’ll lose your weekends, or it’ll be faster to walk to Wagga, I mean the fact that aussies can do that against the torent of negativity from our federal government makes them hero’s in my eyes...

I must add that my M3 SR+ has max dc charge of 100kw. That was so fast at Barnawatha I barely had time to pee and buy a chicken salad sandwich and get back to the car. At some point ultra rapid stupid fast charging goes beyond the point of utility.

Last edited:
Just a heads up for those of you wondering how much supercharger credit you have left (because Tesla's "free km" thing is misleading), friend and I were comparing accounts because mine is still free.

Login to your Tesla account and click on "History", and choose a supercharging session if you have one. You will see a KwH remaining and that is your credit balance left.

Looks like 1,500km = 372kwH = $174.84

On Friday I finally collected my Model 3 from the Alexandria delivery centre.
Woo hoo! You should contact Electrek or reneweconomy.com.au and let them know, I’m sure they’d like to do a story on the first person to line up in the world finally taking delivery of their Model 3.

.... and to some poor soul out there, I gladly and graciously pass on the bragging rights as "longest wait for Model 3". From the time I was the "First in Line" to register for my Model 3 on 29th March 2016, it has been 1,277 days of waiting until I received my Model 3 this Friday. For anyone who has waited longer than this [I suspect someone who was a day 1 reservation holder who is waiting for a white interior on AWD model, with October delivery], that honour now goes to you.
Yeah, that would be me :D but no order yet, yet alone a delivery date ;)

• Love
Reactions: 1st in Line