Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: CpuID and Hairyman
Just wanted to say for those complaining about Tesla's poor communication, I agree it could be better. However whenever I have tried calling them, they have answered promptly and helped me with my concerns.

In other news, getting keen now. Less than 7 days until delivery!

I sure hope your delivery actually happens in 7 days. Twice now my delivery has not happened with zero communication given from Tesla. It is only after 4 hours of calling them (4 days of 1 hour plus numerous emails) that I actually got hold of someone. A person only has so much patience and inner calmness. Tesla had to have known at least 12 hours previous to both deliveries that the car was not on the truck (delivery to Inverell NW NSW). For once in my life I am complaining because Teslas delivery service has been nothing short of terrible for me. This is having a serious impact on my business. It is not so much the cost of payments, insurance, registration etc that I am not making use of, it is the lack of a vehicle for me to use to conduct my business and therefore generate income. Income equals feeding my children and paying my mortgage. I wouldn't (and couldn't) treat my customers with such a lack of communication. I understand that *sugar* happens and logistics are hell. BUT LET PEOPLE KNOW. Twice now I have spent half a day waiting for a delivery to happen that hasn't.

I can confirm that the Model 3 Fob from the US store DOES work with the AU Model 3.

Turns out I wasn’t pressing the buttons hard enough :oops:

it is a moot point I guess as there is a new one coming out that supports passive entry:
Tesla relaunches Model 3 key fob and fixes major drawback - Electrek
Ah. Glad it works, thanks! I'm still planning to order one if and when they're ever back in stock, as my wife insisted that she wants one, but I suspect that she's getting used to using her phone and it may become moot.

Solar installation Hallam - Everlite ElectricalFor anyone in the Dandenong / Hallam (Victoria) area needing an electrician at a very reasonable price I recommend these guys. They also install powerwalls. I’m now considering that option.

Attachments

• F78DDD3B-9822-4B20-8B5F-99571911FB60.jpeg
    F78DDD3B-9822-4B20-8B5F-99571911FB60.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc
Ah. Glad it works, thanks! I'm still planning to order one if and when they're ever back in stock, as my wife insisted that she wants one, but I suspect that she's getting used to using her phone and it may become moot.
I bought it before I got the car because I had heard a lot of stories about the app not being 100% reliable (and I got bored waiting). Now I have had the car for a week, the app has worked flawlessly for me and there is no real reason to need the Fob from what I can see. Unless you are lending it to someone to drive you car maybe.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
To those who had taken delivery of a SR+, how does it drive compared to other RWD cars you have owned or driven? Would you regard it as a sports sedan?

I'm no motor reviewer but here goes...

I'm comparing my SR+ to my previous car which is BMW 1 Series rear wheel drive.

They are quite different, the Tesla is like a luxury saloon car with great acceleration and cornering ability. The BMW feels more like a hot hatch.

In cornering ability I'd say that they are similar although I haven't played around much with the limits of traction in the Tesla yet - I'm waiting for more time in the car, for rain and greasy roads.

Body roll is low on both. The ride is much plusher in the Tesla. The Tesla handles much better over bumps and speed bumps. The BMW seems crashier.

The acceleration and instant torque, even on a SR+, is mad. The ability to re-position on the road, to find gaps in the traffic and to launch ahead of or behind other cars is infinitely better in the Tesla. The Tesla, almost entirely because of it's instant power, is a really fun car for city driving.

The only time I've used full throttle in the Tesla is when showing people how fast the car is. For normal driving it is never short of power.

To those who had taken delivery of a SR+, how does it drive compared to other RWD cars you have owned or driven? Would you regard it as a sports sedan?
I agree with everything @BarnabySydney wrote, it’s a good summary of how I see the car (coming from a Golf GTI). Only thing I would add is that when you push it really hard in a bend there’s a tiny (and satisfying) wiggle from the rear end before the traction control clearly catches it and you’re back on course.

I sure hope your delivery actually happens in 7 days. Twice now my delivery has not happened with zero communication given from Tesla. It is only after 4 hours of calling them (4 days of 1 hour plus numerous emails) that I actually got hold of someone. A person only has so much patience and inner calmness. Tesla had to have known at least 12 hours previous to both deliveries that the car was not on the truck (delivery to Inverell NW NSW). For once in my life I am complaining because Teslas delivery service has been nothing short of terrible for me. This is having a serious impact on my business. It is not so much the cost of payments, insurance, registration etc that I am not making use of, it is the lack of a vehicle for me to use to conduct my business and therefore generate income. Income equals feeding my children and paying my mortgage. I wouldn't (and couldn't) treat my customers with such a lack of communication. I understand that *sugar* happens and logistics are hell. BUT LET PEOPLE KNOW. Twice now I have spent half a day waiting for a delivery to happen that hasn't.
That sounds so bad mate. And unacceptable definitely. I would be the same when it starts affecting your family, income and work. Not sure what is happening with communication at Tesla but hope you get the car soon

I wrote this on the Facebook page:

So back from Tesla service centre. Very smooth service.

1- super stiff brake pedal, had to press really hard to stop the car.

Action: replaced brake fluid and a valve.

Result: brake as expected. No longer hard or stiff. Very progressive braking.

2- steering wheel not detecting that I'm holding it when using auto steering.

Action: there are no sensor in the steering wheel to detect a touch. You must make a small jiggle movement on a regular basis.

Result: I had always been led to believe that having your hand resting on the steering wheel was sufficient. It's not.

3- rattle when driving.

Action: figured that one before getting there. It's the seat belt hitting the door.

4- various paint defects on delivery.

Action: after PPF and ceramic coating are applied, if any defects are still visible; Tesla will pay for any required respray.

Rear bumper to be resprayed.

I wrote this on the Facebook page:

So back from Tesla service centre. Very smooth service.

1- super stiff brake pedal, had to press really hard to stop the car.

Action: replaced brake fluid and a valve.

Result: brake as expected. No longer hard or stiff. Very progressive braking.

2- steering wheel not detecting that I'm holding it when using auto steering.

Action: there are no sensor in the steering wheel to detect a touch. You must make a small jiggle movement on a regular basis.

Result: I had always been led to believe that having your hand resting on the steering wheel was sufficient. It's not.

3- rattle when driving.

Action: figured that one before getting there. It's the seat belt hitting the door.

4- various paint defects on delivery.

Action: after PPF and ceramic coating are applied, if any defects are still visible; Tesla will pay for any required respray.

Rear bumper to be resprayed.

A bit annoying that its a brand new car and it has those issues although its good they fixed them up quickly.
I'm getting a P+ and I'm very excited to see how insanely quick its acceleration its going to be. I've been told that while delivery and sales is annoying the car is very much worth it.
Hopefully I can get it in a couple of months, maybe less.

OK, I give up... I need to take the SR+ from Sydney to Port Macquarie but there is a lack of charging infrastructure specific from Tesla Corp. i.e. superchargers on the route. If we go off piste, I risk losing charge. I can take the UMC but it is single phase and slow as a snail even at 15 amps (if you can ever find a socket at that). What should I be buying? Type 1 to type 2 converter cable (single phase again)? 3 phase charger to type 2 (expensive!) for 11KW? I am a bit lost on what is best. It seems most off piste is 3 phase in Aus and I am about to wire the home connector to the wall so that aint joining me. They should have had a 3 phase UMC supplied with the car IMHO.

huh? Mate you got DC chargers left right and centre in urban Australia. Maybe you need to take a trip into the Australian outback?

you could do the trip on superchargers alone (even with the SR+), i.e. charge at the Newcastle Supercharger. Otherwise you can charge at the Nabiac CSS charger.

Hell if you drive 100kmh you can just do the whole trip on one charge.

Am I missing something here??

Reactions: WoodWombat