Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I heard, if they are greyed out, you will be able to use them if the conditions are right (car is driving and headlights are on, might be something more needed). I can see mine has fog lights physically but there is no button for them, not even greyed out one.

Yes, my fog lights are greyed out until the headlights are on, then they are selectable and work (SR+)

Hey all,
What are your thoughts on battery drain with sentry mode when car is parked overnight? Wha sort of loss are you seeing? Asking because we are heading for Darwin in early Nov albeit only 4 days. Car will be left at airport car park with Sentry Mode on I’m guessing! Got me thinking what would happen if you went overseas for a few weeks or even a month etc. Would your battery be completely dead by then? lol

Hey all,
What are your thoughts on battery drain with sentry mode when car is parked overnight? Wha sort of loss are you seeing? Asking because we are heading for Darwin in early Nov albeit only 4 days. Car will be left at airport car park with Sentry Mode on I’m guessing! Got me thinking what would happen if you went overseas for a few weeks or even a month etc. Would your battery be completely dead by then? lol
I don’t have an answer, but I’d love to know. I’m away with the car parked elsewhere for a few days shortly. The Stats for Tesla app tells me I’m losing 0.75km/hr in phantom drain - that is with sentry on. There are 168 hours in a week, so that’s 126km or about 30% of the battery. Apparently others have not had problems with leaving the car for more than two weeks, but that’s with everything off.

I don’t have an answer, but I’d love to know. I’m away with the car parked elsewhere for a few days shortly. The Stats for Tesla app tells me I’m losing 0.75km/hr in phantom drain - that is with sentry on. There are 168 hours in a week, so that’s 126km or about 30% of the battery. Apparently others have not had problems with leaving the car for more than two weeks, but that’s with everything off.
Not sure of loss with sentry, but checking your app constantly wakes the car up from sleep and drains more than if you don't check.

Hey all,
Can confirm - my car is at Brisbane airport now - with Sentry on its about 24km of drain a day, with it off its less than 1km/day with my waking it once or twice a day.

Hey all,

I lose 7% a day with sentry on, 2% with sentry off. I regularly park for a few days at a time at the airport. This is LR, a SR will presumably be a higher percentage. It’s been cold so no cabin overheat protection.

Sentry and cabin overheat protection will automatically turn off if your battery gets down to 20%.

Unfortunately using 5kwh a day to run sentry must impact any green credentials the car might have. Hopefully they can address this in future.

FWIW, tried TACC on suburban roads and AP on freeway. Loving TACC as it is set and forget, recognises changing speed limits (a tad late on speed limit change recognition at times so you have to dial down manually), comes to a complete spot if traffic halts and then speeds up again once it is moving. Literally did not have to do anything apart from steering wheel duties.
AP on freeway is great for keeping car in lane automatically and changing lanes. I had to change lanes manually a few times as it didn’t engage lane change as it thought it wasn’t possible or unsafe? Also, braked hard at one point when car ahead slowed down to let on ramp traffic in. A bit scary so you really need to be vigilant I guess.
Overall, both features definitely help with acting as driving aids. I would love AP to be able to change lanes automatically and come to a full stop at any red lights.

Reactions: Hairyman
FWIW, tried TACC on suburban roads and AP on freeway. ....

Overall, both features definitely help with acting as driving aids. I would love AP to be able to change lanes automatically and come to a full stop at any red lights.

Yes I am using both TACC and Autosteer as often on possible on suburban main roads, and they are both almost perfect on freeways. It is still a learning process as it is a completely different driving method with different skills. It is really about learning what are the things it still doesnt handle and knowing where they occur on your regular drives and looking out for them when on unfamiliar roads and being ready to take control. For instance driving outbound through Coldstream in VIC, there is a section in the town that is essentially 2 lanes wide but with no lane markings, the car will sit right in the middle of its side of the road. There is then about a 10m stretch of road with a lane marking on it, that will cause the car to swerve left or right to get into one of the lanes. A human driver would look ahead and see it is only for 10m and ignore it. Similarly just after that at the intersection with Melba Highway, the intersection is on a gradual right hand curve. If driving in the right lane, autosteer gets very confused due to the curve and will swerve very suddenly into the left lane in the intersection, as the left lane is what it sees on the other side of the intersection as straight ahead. I assume if there was a car there, the emergency steering and other systems would probably prevent a collision but arent prepared to test it.

No SR+ range too short I think. But won't know until we try that long trip...

I inititally wanted the larger battery and longer range but have found SR+ absolutely ok for long distance road tripping so far. Here is a little spiel I have shared in social media...

Driving a 7000km+ long distance road trip in a Tesla Model 3 SR+ (has a range of 360-380km and cost around $70K on road).

Have driven Gold Coast to Cairns and back in a week so far and that was without using any Tesla superchargers. Heading on to Melbourne in another week or so.

Here are some short videos from the trip about the driving and charging experience. Australia EV Tesla Model 3 SR+ 7000km+ Road Trip - YouTube

Another day and another software update. So todays flavour is v10 2019.32.12.2 58f3b76. This is the 5th update for me in 2 weeks. Looks like the software development team at Tesla is working hard to earn their keep. Nav data did not get updated again and the release notes same as with the last 4 updates just standard v10 release notes. Have not really noticed if anything has been fixed, as I have not had the update long enough to use any features :)

Reactions: Hairyman
Btw does anyone know how to get the mirrors to autofold when parked?
It is set to auto fold in my profile but it does not seem to ever do it. location based folding works fine.

The only exception was when I reset the car (bluetooth trouble) and then even though the little lock icon was unlocked the car locked itself, honked quietly twice and flashed the lights and then folded the mirrors. Very odd and I have not been able to reproduce this.

Normally when I lock it it just sits there when you close the door (and it is obviously locked) but the mirrors do not fold. The walk away lock is not working either. The car has to be manually locked every time.

edit: this is when using the card and I have also tried switching my phone off in case it notices that the bluetooth connection is active. The App currently does not work as my car is still listed as awaiting delivery since it came on a truck.

Btw does anyone know how to get the mirrors to autofold when parked?
It is set to auto fold in my profile but it does not seem to ever do it. location based folding works fine.

The only exception was when I reset the car (bluetooth trouble) and then even though the little lock icon was unlocked the car locked itself, honked quietly twice and flashed the lights and then folded the mirrors. Very odd and I have not been able to reproduce this.

Normally when I lock it it just sits there when you close the door (and it is obviously locked) but the mirrors do not fold. The walk away lock is not working either. The car has to be manually locked every time.

edit: this is when using the card and I have also tried switching my phone off in case it notices that the bluetooth connection is active. The App currently does not work as my car is still listed as awaiting delivery since it came on a truck.

Walkaway lock doesnt work with the card, only with the phone. Mirrors fold for me when the walk away lock happens, dont know about when you use the card.

When you walk away does the car honk twice and flash the lights like it does when you open it?

One honk for lock when you walk away, plus the lights flash and the mirrors fold in. It doesnt honk when it unlocks from opening the doors with phone close by, but it flashes lights and unfolds the mirrors. If you unlock with card or app, it does two honks plus lights and mirrors unfold.

Yes that is correct and a very handy feature. Except car doesn’t change speed limit straight away on the screen. Also, anomalies with incorrect speed limits in certain areas as reported by others on the forum.

On that note, is there any way to overwrite the speed limit? Autopilot refuses to speed up more than 10 kmh than the speed limit sign. Unfortunately in the outback a lot of speed limit signs are not mapped on google/openstreetmaps or whatever so the Model 3 always assumes the speedlimit is 50 which is annoying.