Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regenerative braking. Prepare well ahead to slow down. Ignore the people up your arse who are getting annoyed because you slow down too early. And let the car slow down until the very last moment, using the brakes as little as possible.

And after that, I always make sure that when accelerating, the black bar showing power usage, under the speedo never exceed 2cm to the right.
I've generally been doing this to great effect... The most inefficient drive I've been on got me 184Wh/km and that was me hammering the accelerator at almost every light.

Most of my daily commutes I do around 110Wh/km

Amex sent me a letter, and have already applied a permanent refund to my account. So that was pretty fast IMHO.
Amex refund policy is the best. They refund first, and then investigate.

It will take them the same amount of time to investigate as what your bank would, except during all that time you have your money.

Once it took me 8 months for CBA to proceed with a refund. Amex rulez

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Judging from this topographic map of Melbourne, the trick is to just always ensure you'll be driving downhill.

Silly me, I've been doing it wrong! :D

This is going from Bundoora to Surrey Hills

I did exactly the same from Chadstone to Bundoora, though there was heavy traffic and it took me 55 minutes for similar distance.

20191014_165242.jpg

Regenerative braking. Prepare well ahead to slow down. Ignore the people up your arse who are getting annoyed because you slow down too early. And let the car slow down until the very last moment, using the brakes as little as possible.

I dont find I need to start regeb further back than using brakes. The last part is the trickiest at first. You slow down fine until about 5m from the intersection where you need to turn, or stop you are still going too fast and feel like regen isnt going to do it and it is time to hit the brakes. But if you dont, by the time you get to the line, you will be almost stopped. Just a reprogramming of the brain.

Thanks - I'm aware about the limitations of speed and temperature [e.g. preheating the battery by charging before leaving improves performance] but was wondering about other variables, having never driven an EV or hybrid, regen seems to be critical.

Last edited:
Thanks - I'm aware about the limitations of speed and temperature but was wondering about other variables, regen seems to be critical
Speed is biggest factor. Then temperature. After that it becomes academic unless you need fractions more: tyre size and pressure, retract mirrors, lower vehicle (if you have it), regen, acceleration, weight, (age: drive like a granny/grampa) etc.

I agree Speed, temperature and smoothness of driving have the biggest effect for me.
I've driven 1500km in my SR+ with total average of 141Wh/km. That includes some spirited driving to Lorne and back for fun and plenty of freeway and traffic from Geelong to Dandenong.
The other morning it was cold (less than 7 degrees) and I was up at 168Wh/km.
Today a nice day and traffic was flowing well so got my best return trip. 240km today at 131Wh and that was not driving like a granny plenty of autopilot though.

Reactions: Hairyman
With my charger not working since Friday, I've been doing some super smooth driving. From Surrey Hills to Richmond service centre: 135Wh/km and that's with a fair amount of stop/start traffic. I can easily do 140Wh/km even with A/C running. Did over 90km on Sunday and each time averaged around 140Wh/km and that's with a performance model, in sports mode (didn't use chill)
That’s very good. My lifetime average in my LEAF is 140 Wh/km, so Tesla clearly have nailed efficiency for a much bigger and heavier car. Other BEV manufacturers don’t seem to do nearly as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
From what I heard, if they are greyed out, you will be able to use them if the conditions are right (car is driving and headlights are on, might be something more needed). I can see mine has fog lights physically but there is no button for them, not even greyed out one.

Mine doesn't physically have fog lights, just solid black blanking plates. But it does have the button in the UI to turn them on. Go figure.

Last edited:
I have not been able to figure out the charging outside of my house and Tesla superchargers yet. I did purchase a Type 2 to Type 2 cable in case I happen to a charger that does not have a cable, but am wondering if purchasing a Type 1 to Type 2 would be useful. Any idea how many of the charger locations in NSW and QLD are Type 1 and have no Type 2 options?