Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I underrstand it, if it is the same as a domestic split system, auto means that it heats or cools as required. So if you set it to 19 on auto, if it eventually cools it down to 18, it will then start heating until it goes back up to 20, at which point it will start cooling etc etc. If you have it on cooling and 19, it will just cool it until it is 18 then switch off, and turn back on when it goes above 20. Auto in the winter does the same thing, if it gets above the set temp, it starts cooling. I would never use auto for anything.

the thing with auto is that it has a tendency to keep the fanspeed and low and cool more.
if you put it in manual you can ramp the fan up so it blows on your body which makes it feel a lot cooler than it actually is.
hence my question which is more energy efficient. when the midday sun is up to feel comfortable on auto you really have to set it to i.e. 19 degrees.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
How did you find the glass roof in that heat?

When I sat in the back of a model 3 on a day that peaked around 26 degree, the roof was hot to touch.

the glassroof does get warm but so will a metal roof. you can touch it and it feels warmish but not hot. the sun itself is ok. you can look directly into it f you want.

I think fanspeed sucks a lot of power

afaik fan is max 500W whereas the AC is max 2000W.

oIVzPuaUR%K1U93miHWXUg.jpg
Possibly no help but I was in the same boat as you.

I had my heart set on a white interior and always told the family that was what I would be getting - White on Blue. Rather than keep waiting I eventually pulled the trigger for Black on Blue with the view that I could cancel and re-order if White became available.

I let the order go through to completion with the black and now that I have the car I am very happy and can't imagine myself with White! Fickle hey? :rolleyes: It really helps that the interior pillars and roof lining are slightly off white so the cabin does not feel dark at all.

Well, I succumbed and pulled the trigger :) LR AWD, white. I am not holding my breath for a "late November" delivery!

Easily the most expensive car I will ever buy. I could nearly get two new LEAFs for the price of this! But... the next longest range BEV available in Australia is the Hyundai Kona which has 100 km less range (although it does cost $30k less...), a form factor I don't like, no front boot, and of course no supercharger network! But it does have DAB+ radio :D There's also this: "Due to popular demand, the Kona Electric is experiencing extended delivery times while we restock." Longer than Tesla?!

I'll let you know when I get the call :cool:

So, I did a bit longer trip today in my SR+ from Gold Coast to Glass House Mountains and back. I was hoping the range from a full charge to be close to 400km, but it appears the real world range with AC on is a bit less. the distance was about 320km, I started with 100% charge and finished with about 10% left. Large part of the way the speed was just about 100, there were couple of stretches where I could get up to 110 but there were also plenty of speed limited areas, requiting to keep speed at 80.So from my quick and easy calculation, I should not expect to get over 352km from a charge and if the speed for the trip can keep to 100 or 110 most of the way, possibly even less.

So, I did a bit longer trip today in my SR+ from Gold Coast to Glass House Mountains and back. I was hoping the range from a full charge to be close to 400km, but it appears the real world range with AC on is a bit less. the distance was about 320km, I started with 100% charge and finished with about 10% left. Large part of the way the speed was just about 100, there were couple of stretches where I could get up to 110 but there were also plenty of speed limited areas, requiting to keep speed at 80.So from my quick and easy calculation, I should not expect to get over 352km from a charge and if the speed for the trip can keep to 100 or 110 most of the way, possibly even less.

I don't have a car yet so I don't know how this works, but did you get a kw/h reading from the car just for the trip? I've seen wildly different numbers and I'm guessing it's particularly sensitive to wind/inclines etc.

Does anyone have any links or recommendations for suitable extension cables? I can't seem to find the details mentioned in the thread in Bunnings etc.
I may be over thinking this, but if I'm carrying these for just in case they may as well be as safe as possible.
You can usually find them on eBay or from industrial suppliers. I got mine from EEC TECHNICAL SERVICES after a long conversation with one of the electricians there. Their leads are pretty expensive when compared to Bunnings leads, but they are awesome. Extra heavy insulation, solid plugs and really amazingly supple because of the fine stranded conductors.

Reactions: m4rtin
There is something new in Vins. The letter C is appearing in some vins for motor - ‘A’ single motor. ‘B’ dual motor. C?

example below @Random206 - note for spreadsheet entry. Have seen this a couple of times now.

View attachment 468098

According to VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

A = Single Motor - Standard
B = Dual Motor - Standard or Performance
C = Base A/C Motor, Tier 2 Battery (31-40 kWh)

A and B make sense, but what does C mean?

The above definition of 'C' seems to be a Model S reference - probably means something else for the Model 3.

Last edited:
There is something new in Vins. The letter C is appearing in some vins for motor - ‘A’ single motor. ‘B’ dual motor. C?

example below @Random206 - note for spreadsheet entry. Have seen this a couple of times now.

View attachment 468098
Looks like I am one of these 5YJ3F7EC2LF462458 which means that @Random206 form will not accept my update. No idea what the C means, maybe a variant on the motor design?

Mine is a P3D+ in blue/black. Tesla have told me that I am getting grey wheels.

Fishing for options and support from fellow Australian enthusiasts awaiting their Tesla 3 Performance VIN. Just found out that I have been switched to grey 20” wheels on a grey car(midnight silver). Not a fan of the combination. Love the pictures posted of the silver alloys, on all colours.. Options? Take delivery and buy new aftermarket wheels? Is that even on option on this version? Odds of swapping with someone in Sydney who wishes they had the grey? Given the ordering choices, I would have gone with white exterior originally, which looks okay with grey wheels, and saved $1500. Reordering, will cost me thousands and I go to the back of the queue. I initially only upscaled to the T3 performance, to avoid the grey aero wheels, but in time came to look forward to the other package features. I don't know how anyone is expected to have any confidence in pricing, options, etc, when Tesla pulls stunts like this.

Apologies for the downer vibe, but not happy Jan.......

Well, I succumbed and pulled the trigger :) LR AWD, white. I am not holding my breath for a "late November" delivery!

Easily the most expensive car I will ever buy. I could nearly get two new LEAFs for the price of this! But... the next longest range BEV available in Australia is the Hyundai Kona which has 100 km less range (although it does cost $30k less...), a form factor I don't like, no front boot, and of course no supercharger network! But it does have DAB+ radio :D There's also this: "Due to popular demand, the Kona Electric is experiencing extended delivery times while we restock." Longer than Tesla?!

I'll let you know when I get the call :cool:

keep in mind that if you get DAB you usually get at least 3g in australia too which means you can just listen to internet radio which is fantastic.

Reactions: jontyh
According to VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

A = Single Motor - Standard
B = Dual Motor - Standard or Performance
C = Base A/C Motor, Tier 2 Battery (31-40 kWh)

A and B make sense, but what does C mean?

The above definition of 'C' seems to be a Model S reference - probably means something else for the Model 3.

Posted this on the other page, but here is the internal decoder pdf you may use. All that other data is old and outdated

Attachments

• MY2020_VIN Decoder_MS_MX_M3_v2.pdf
    288.6 KB · Views: 212

View attachment 468098
Couple of people emailed me about this today.
For some reason I'm not getting notifications for @ mentions :-/

Anyway, all fixed. Thanks for the heads up anyway!

Not a stunt, just standard practice for Tesla.

If you damage one of the now world wide obsolete silver 20”, a single replacement will not be available new, and it will be big $ to replace all 4? If they truly are popular, I might have no difficulty selling the grey to the hundreds that just took delivery of silver. I would source a spare, whilst still available. Is it true that the 19” sport alloys still sold in the US, do not fit the Performance brake calipers? I am shy of creating unforeseen issues with after market silver, but would like to hear others experiences.

I don't have a car yet so I don't know how this works, but did you get a kw/h reading from the car just for the trip? I've seen wildly different numbers and I'm guessing it's particularly sensitive to wind/inclines etc.
I was trying to look for that kw/h reading for the trip but I could not figure out how to get it for the whole trip, it only appears to show last 10km, last 25km or last 50km, but not the whole thing. The last 50km came up as 124 Wh/km and strangely when changing from % to range, it suggested the remaining 10% would be 50km range remaining, which did not make sense as it used 90% of battery to do 320km, so in my opinion the 10% should be just over 32km. When the car was at 100% charge, then changing it to display distance showed range of 390km which now afterward appears a bit optimistic also.
I really hope they will start putting charge options in the larger petrol stations spots along highway, as I had to stop in 2 of those on the way anyways to get coffee and donuts and let some passengers to use restrooms, would have been awesome to get 15-20 minutes charge top-up during those stops :)