Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it won't be long before one of these cleans up a bollard or another vehicle in a car park, clearly it's their fault for being so confident in their ability to operate a function in its infancy

No it isn't. Not if Tesla makes features that can't be safely operated by people who assume they'll do what they say without error freely available to every person who buys a car from them. That's not a responsible way of rolling out features that may fail in unknown and potentially dangerous ways.

If you use the public as free beta testers it's fair enough for you to cop a share of the blame if/when your stuff doesn't work. Not all the blame, but definitely some of it. Perhaps even most. When you sell something to the public it really should work correctly unless deliberately misused.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
It doesn’t. You can already buy defeat plugs for this system from third parties. But I really don’t understand the totally out of proportion vitriol I’ve read sprayed at something designed to reduced the risk of pedestrians not hearing your car and hence potentially being injured.

I’m with you Vostok. Now that I know I have the hardware, I now want the software enabled. The car is way too quiet with kids around.

Every time they wake it up, Sentry mode gets enabled which chews up a lot of battery. Is there way to turn it off permanrently?

Not from the app, as far as I can tell. I think if you remember to disable the setting from inside the car when you hand it over then it stays disabled permanently? Or if that fails then physically disconnecting the storage device would certainly do it.

But the Brisbane bodyshop had Tesla chargers, and they charged the car the night before pickup. The Melbourne shop should be the same, assuming it's "approved" by Tesla?

No it isn't. Not if Tesla makes features that can't be safely operated by people who assume they'll do what they say without error freely available to every person who buys a car from them. That's not a responsible way of rolling out features that may fail in unknown and potentially dangerous ways.

If you use the public as free beta testers it's fair enough for you to cop a share of the blame if/when your stuff doesn't work. Not all the blame, but definitely some of it. Perhaps even most. When you sell something to the public it really should work correctly unless deliberately misused.

The issue is drivers that don't understand the features and go head on without caution, if Tesla have made one mistake it's not dumbing it down for the modern human that will not accept responsibility.

The car is way too quiet with kids around.
I've approached plenty of pedestrian crossings, people stepping into the street at corners, etc. I haven't seen anybody launch themselves into the street yet. I'm not against noise makers (even though ironically they will likely make the Tesla noisier than a contemporary ICE) but I don't think we need them either. I know some people that are hoping that their order comes with them. But personally I'm not bothered either way. Its a non-issue if you are driving carefully and people are paying as much or as little attention as they would when watching out for any other oncoming vehicle.

Having no noise was one of the benefits of having an EV.
Also, every noise that I've seen on an EV from 'Acoustic Systems' sound absolutely awful. With their rubbish pitch systems which would give a migraine after 10 minutes.

I would prefer having predictive systems that are able to detect if a person is going to come across and emergency braking for that event in time. People might make up the argument that 'oh it's not going to brake in time' well considering its only 20km/h then yeah, its got plenty of room to stop.

This just seems like going backwards especially considering that most new ICE cars make next to no noise at low speeds. Also what about bikes? They make no noise put noisemakers on them.
However all is forgiven if it can make the Jetsons noise, until then, no.

Last edited:
Having no noise was one of the benefits of having an EV.
Also, every noise that I've seen on an EV from 'Acoustic Systems' sound absolutely awful. With their rubbish pitch systems which would give a migraine after 10 minutes.
Well that’s not a problem then, unless you intend to drive below 30 km/h for 10 minutes with with your head stuck out the drivers’ window.

This just seems like going backwards especially considering that most new ICE cars make next to no noise at low speeds.
This claim has been made before but I don’t accept it. Catching a bus to work most days at a bus stop near a pedestrian crossing means I get to hear hundreds of cars driving at low speeds as they approach the crossing. I can hear the engine in every one of them, even the newest cars, and hybrids and plug-in hybrids still have a distinctive whine at low speeds, similar to what the Leaf produces. My Mythbusters conclusion on this one? Busted!

Also what about bikes? They make no noise put noisemakers on them.
They already have them, they’re called bells. And cyclists need to use them.

I think what EVs really need is a pedestrian horn - a much softer and friendlier horn than the vehicle horn. In the LEAF, on the occasions when pedestrians don’t hear me approaching despite the PFAWS, honking the horn sounds really aggressive and intimidatory. A nice cow-bell (or other downloadable sound) would be much better!

I think what EVs really need is a pedestrian horn - a much softer and friendlier horn than the vehicle horn. In the LEAF, on the occasions when pedestrians don’t hear me approaching despite the PFAWS, honking the horn sounds really aggressive and intimidatory. A nice cow-bell (or other downloadable sound) would be much better!

When I was talking about migraine, it was for the people outside of the car, yeah they'll hear it, but its the loudest and obnoxious noise and that's just on ONE car. Imagine 15 cars making the exact same noise while accelerating. Also in some countries, lawmakers are thinking of having it been heard INSIDE the car but I can't find anything on that, only from a few forum posts.

Also,
There's a lot more than just car noise in a city. People talking, crossing beeps, footsteps, trains going over bridges, trams dinging and hell, even massively loud cars trying to show off they are morons for some reason you'd easily miss all of the newer ICE just as the same with noise from EVs.

Considering that we have people wearing headphones while crossing the road oblivious to anything paying zero attention. And that people are now getting noise-cancelling headphones and even god-forbid noise-cancelling airpods nows. It just exacerbates the problem.

Considering that some people wearing headphones are missing train horns somehow, I doubt an even quieter horn will get their attention. Again, I believe the best solution to this problem is having good automatic braking with a predictive system.

We should stop trying to take the easiest solution and actually use some of the insane technological capabilities that we have.

Nothing wrong with simple solutions to real stakeholder needs. For example:

Not what I said.
Yes, giving noise might help visually impaired people but I'm mentioning the whole picture.
ICE cars, have gotten very quiet. And against city noise its next to impossible to hear them.
Only putting these on EV's because they are known to be very quiet is ridiculous.

It shouldn't even be where visually impaired people need to hear a sound, where they know they are safe cause the car will brake for them when they cross, or any person for that matter. Alternatively, cross at lights and zebra crossings.

If you want to solve human problems, take out the human factor.

Just had a look at my P- (Built: 13Aug, Vin: 5170xx) and it has a pedestrian speaker fitted. Of course it is not enabled, but I expect it will be at some point.

Images attached. You can see the speaker through the grill. The picture of the inside is not great, but you can see the speaker.

Where about is this located?

just at the front? keen to check on mine (July 11th build)

When I was talking about migraine, it was for the people outside of the car, yeah they'll hear it, but its the loudest and obnoxious noise and that's just on ONE car. Imagine 15 cars making the exact same noise while accelerating.
Accelerating means cars are moving away from the people outside, and the noise will recede into the distance, so it's hardly a persistent issue. Also the sound turns off after the vehicle reaches 30 km/h - any tyre noise probably obliterates it before then anyway. Maybe if every car on the road in a slowly moving traffic jam was an EV it might create a weird ensemble noise, but gee, wouldn't that be a nice problem to have?

We'll just have to agree to disagree. On my "things to get worked up about" list, this rates zero.

Its not only Tesla that release features that dont do all that they promise. My Ford Ranger has Lane Keep assist, but you get more 'assist' from a gentle cross breeze than what is provided by the LKA system, it definitely will NOT keep you in a lane. Other cars I've driven with LKA are the same.
Another technology is road speed sign detection. The Ford is quite good, but still misses some of the signs. Some for obvious reasons, but others make you wonder.
I dont disagree that the Tesla driver assist features can be dangerous if not treated with scepticism, but you cant single Tesla out for 'experimenting' on the general public.