Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not always. In situations where one has to brake, such as a traffic light changing to red or descending the Bulli pass it is more efficient to use regen than traditional brakes. You save energy here. But I get your point, the most efficient and somewhat impractical method would be not to brake at any point.

you did not mention anything about braking. you said slowing down for the cars in front of you.

you did not mention anything about braking. you said slowing down for the cars in front of you.
That was my point. That using regenerative breaking if the traffic ahead does not allow continuing with the speed you are moving, or you are going down the hill where without slowing down you would be speeding and getting fined. In those situations it is more efficient to use regenerative breaking. Last time I came down from springbrook my battery increased by 2% from the time I started driving until I was at the bottom of the hill and that was with AC on.

Yes, the narrative that regenerative braking is inefficient is true only if one can always come to a stop or slow down without hitting anything and in the timeframe required solely by air and rolling resistance alone. The set of circumstances in which this is true is vanishingly small.

So given that it’s not true in practice, and regenerative braking captures energy that would otherwise be lost through heat and the creation of particulate matter (abraded brake pads), it is therefore more efficient than the alternatives.

• Love
Reactions: Flatbat and T3SL4A
This is how my car used to look..

1.jpg

And this is what it looks like now after spending the best part of a day spray painting the chrome trim around the windows and mirrors with plasti-dip..

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thoughts?

Looks great nice job!
Was it hard to get a nice finish with plasti dip
How many cans did you use

Thanks. By far the hardest part is in taping out before spraying. As a spraying newbie I was mostly just careful not to spray too much. I did four coats, with about twenty minutes between each coat on a warm day, and there are no runs or drips. The finish is fine, about the same as the black trim you see on other cars.

To do this took one and a bit cans.

Is that last photo taken at Moore Park Supacentre?

At Castle Towers.

Each to their own taste.

I would stay with chrome handles to match the side cameras

Almost all cars have thin chrome lines around the windows. M3 has substantially wider chrome which make it look so much better. I ordered black chrome for my BMW convertible as its a thin surround. I've never been a chrome person but Tesla's chrome size suit M3 black not so much.

Last edited:
Has anyone installed additional rubber seals to the doors and trunk/boot. .... Worth considering?

I bought a cheap eBay doors-only kit prior to the delivery of my LR AWD ... one of several on-line purchases to distract me from the excruciating wait. I was surprised that despite the AU$22 price tag (typically $30+ on eBay), these strips had molded ends and corners where required, the appropriate cross-sections, a few sachets of adhesion/cleaning wipes (almost dried out by Model 3 delivery!) and sufficient length with several centimetres to spare on each rubber strip.

The eBay ad seems to have gone, so I can't post a link.

They came bundled in plastic bags with Chinese labels and no instructions, however logic, Google translate and YouTube allowed even fumble-fingers me to have these installed inside an hour. The 'adhesion enhancing' sachets ran out too soon, but a squirt of iso-propyl alcohol seemed an appropriate rejuvenator that appears to have worked OK - all still straight, well adhered and look factory-fitted (if that's a good thing :))

One caution that may get overlooked (when instructions are missing) is the need to snip out a gap in the lower door strips so the doors' water drain holes aren't blocked off. I found a small wire cutter worked best at nibbling this out neatly. Scissors and blades couldn't easily reach and cut while the strip was close to the drain hole - risk of a misalignment.

As for effective wind noise cancellation, I can't be sure since I only had the car two days before a 2000km interstate road trip with no real opportunity to experience the car without the rubber strips. However, the only wind noise at high speed is an occasional slight hiss at the top rear of the front windows. Being frameless, this is somewhat expected and probably associated with stronger crosswinds. There's more noise from the tyres and tread on the road.

Others have mentioned that the doors give a more satisfying (expensive?) clunk when being shut. I can't be sure of this either having not given it a thought before adding the strips.

Model 3 has a high level of tyre noise. I doubt adding more rubber seals to the doors and boot will make any difference to the tyre noise.
Model 3 doesn't have high tyre noise and defiantly no more that my previous 6 new BMW's I've owned. Every car I have driven on the Gold Coast highway has extremely high tyre noise due to the concrete surface of the highway. It is getting better due to concrete is being replaced slowly.

Model 3 doesn't have high tyre noise and defiantly no more that my previous 6 new BMW's I've owned. Every car I have driven on the Gold Coast highway has extremely high tyre noise due to the concrete surface of the highway. It is getting better due to concrete is being replaced slowly.
I have to disagree with you. Tyre noise is my biggest problem. My Nissan Altima was much quieter at 60k and that had an ICE

Model 3 doesn't have high tyre noise

I don't think these rubber door strips were promoted as tyre noise reducers - typically the ads mention 'sound reduction' and reducing 'wind noise'.

However, they probably do reduce noise from the tyres on vehicles at speed driving close by. I recall the most noise in air-suspension Model S's was from the cars in the next lane - mostly from their tyres unless they had a very noisy engine/exhaust.

I think high pressure tyres and a certain tread, and relying on a 'mechanical' suspension, make tyre and road noise the most dominating sounds at speed in a Model 3.