Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no this is not how it works. you waste energy with regenerative braking and while you do not use the brakes it is always more efficient to drive without
This is a correct statement, the disagrees come from people who don't understand.
Regenerative braking is better than brake-pad braking, but it is WORSE than allowing the car to coast faster.
It is more efficient to store excess energy as kinetic energy (let car go faster) than to run the motors as generators and store in the battery.
Of course, there are situations where increasing kinetic energy (going faster) isn't an option (eg. stop sign, speed limit reached) and you're better off recouping as much energy as possible by regenerative braking.

Reactions: Hairyman
This is a correct statement, the disagrees come from people who don't understand.
The disagrees come from people who understand that while the statement is theoretically correct, its practical application is close to zero, which is what is important.

Of course, there are situations where increasing kinetic energy (going faster) isn't an option (eg. stop sign, speed limit reached) and you're better off recouping as much energy as possible by regenerative braking.
Yeah, and the “number of situations” is close to 100% if one is driving on a public road with other cars on it. Don’t you think that’s kinda relevant to the discussion?

The disagrees come from people who understand that while the statement is theoretically correct, its practical application is close to zero, which is what is important.

Yeah, and the “number of situations” is close to 100% if one is driving on a public road with other cars on it. Don’t you think that’s kinda relevant to the discussion?

One pedal driving isn’t a case of foot on pedal or not....so I kinda think it’s all a “mute” point ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: PCC1
To continue the discussion about regen v coasting. Wouldn't we be able to achieve the coasting effect by keeping our foot on the accelerator such that we are not consuming any battery (store excess energy as kinetic energy) while going down hill? Or am I missing something entirely?

Reactions: MonicaPlease
To continue the discussion about regen v coasting. Wouldn't we be able to achieve the coasting effect by keeping our foot on the accelerator such that we are not consuming any battery (store excess energy as kinetic energy) while going down hill? Or am I missing something entirely?
No, you are quite right- the only issue is that it takes practice and a deft touch to ride the accelerator pedal thus. Slower vehicles, stop signs and speed limits interfere with such a process, as per ShockOnT above.

• Informative
Reactions: dasn
One pedal driving isn’t a case of foot on pedal or not....so I kinda think it’s all a “mute” point ;)
Not sure what that one pedal driving has to do here as we were discussing regenerative breaking vs no regenerative breaking (can be achieved by touching brake pedal, or if one pedal driving is active by lifting your foot partially or completely off the accelerator pedal). Looks like the discussion has multiple points of view. Some of us were talking about regenerative breaking being more efficient than using friction brakes (as it allows to recapture part of the energy that would otherwise be lost), then others started pushing in that regenerative breaking is inefficient assuming that not using breaks or regenerative breaking would be more efficient, however that is only theoretical efficiency as in real world the option to just let it move until it comes to a stop on its own is not available majority of the time.

Reactions: Flatbat
Does having a Premium Tunein radio account make the experience any better in the model 3?
I have free account. There seems to be no means to return to where you left off on a podcast. Nor can I see a way to mark a podcast as having been listened to. Am I missing something or is this just how it is?

...regenerative breaking is inefficient assuming that not using breaks or regenerative breaking would be more efficient, however that is only theoretical efficiency as in real world the option to just let it move until it comes to a stop on its own is not available majority of the time.

I pop it into Neutral if I don't want regen kicking in going down a hill .. ie. if I know there's an uphill stretch at the end or a long flat stretch where I won't go significantly over the limit. Kick it back into Drive if I have to slow down.

yes indeed but remember that the majority of americans cant even operate a clutch so it would be inappropriate to expect them to operate an accelerator pedal either.

I pop it into Neutral if I don't want regen kicking in going down a hill .. ie. if I know there's an uphill stretch at the end or a long flat stretch where I won't go significantly over the limit. Kick it back into Drive if I have to slow down.
My anecdotal evidence with long downward slopes is that leaving it in drive and using the accelerator slightly so as regen doesn't slow the vehicle, it still regens and extends the range despite using the accelerator to keep it at desired speed.

No, you are not missing anything. I became quite expert at doing that in the LEAF - its accelerator is a bit less touchy than that in the Model 3 and the energy meter is more in your face. So keeping the energy meter at ‘neutral’ (neither generating nor consuming power) by adjusting one’s press on the accelerator is indeed the same as coasting.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
That's exactly what I do when the car is about to slow down, but I've judged that there's no need to slow down as the car in front would have restarted by the time I got close.

IMG_p85D.JPG IMG_p85d5.JPG
This is the best I have been able to get.

Reactions: Vostok
Sorry to hear your experience with Rob. Sounds like it was Rob as I know he’s in love with the Kia Stinger.

I’ve had 3 cars tinted with Rob (two have been Tesla’s) and always been extremely helpful and his work is spot on.....really a shame to hear this feedback.

Yeah, me too. I was genuinely happy to get a recommendation and sling my readies in his direction. Maybe he was having an off day - we all do sometimes.

Wound up heading over to Twilight Auto Tint in Ringwood. Mark was great and put a couple of different samples on the windows so I could get a feel for the colours. Friendly service, done quickly.

Our experience seems to differ.
I find there are plenty of times I can feather the throttle to reduce or eliminate regen braking at the expense of reduced deceleration.
Maybe I’m coming off power earlier than you, looking further up the road to increase deceleration time. Or maybe I’m more tolerant of exceeding the speed limit at the bottom of a hill on a country road. I’m usually happy to let the car reach about 10kph over the limit by the bottom of a hill and then let it slow back down to the speed limit as road flattens out.

Our experience seems to differ.
I find there are plenty of times I can feather the throttle to reduce or eliminate regen braking at the expense of reduced deceleration.
Maybe I’m coming off power earlier than you, looking further up the road to increase deceleration time. Or maybe I’m more tolerant of exceeding the speed limit at the bottom of a hill on a country road. I’m usually happy to let the car reach about 10kph over the limit by the bottom of a hill and then let it slow back down to the speed limit as road flattens out.
I have already been fined for doing 5 over limit, and that fine cost me probably way more than I could save by coasting in a few years, so now I just set TACC to +1 (as I verified by GPS that the car does 100 when it shows 101 on car display) and stick to the speed limit. Not worth it for me to try saving a bit more by coasting and going over the limit and getting another fine.