Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In NSW, every single Tesla variant is on the banned list of high performance vehicles and illegal to be driven unless the driver has a full, unrestricted licence.
That is not actually correct. The holder of a learners permit can legally drive pretty much any car. I will happily teach my child to drive in my model 3. The restriction applies to Provisional licence holders only.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
That is not actually correct. The holder of a learners permit can legally drive pretty much any car. I will happily teach my child to drive in my model 3. The restriction applies to Provisional licence holders only.
Did you read my second sentence “I could teach my kids to drive on my Model 3”?

A Learners Permit is a permit to learn, it’s not a drivers licence. You may think it hair-splitting but what I said is correct.

Did you read my second sentence “I could teach my kids to drive on my Model 3”?

A Learners Permit is a permit to learn, it’s not a drivers licence. You may think it hair-splitting but what I said is correct.
Yes I read it.
Where you were incorrect is when you said it is “ illegal to be driven unless the driver has a full, unrestricted licence.” when quite clearly a Learner Permit holder can legally drive the car under supervision without a licence. It is as you say hair splitting.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Thanks for the review. It is indeed clever stuff.
I thought briefly about FSD and decided base Autopilot is the sweet spot. $8500 for lane change and exits does not stack up for me. would never use autopark or summons.

Wasn’t the price actually $8500+luxury tax, therefore approx. $11300? Showroom staff in Sydney told me it is $12000, after delivery. The additional $2000 luxury car tax is what put me off, not the $2000, itself. Would Tesla be selling more FSD at a no cost to them post delivery flat rate $8500+GST= $9350, and no penalty, for changing your mind, after delivery? No way to know, but is anybody here who didn’t want it before, willing to pay $12,000 now?

Don't know how effective they are but rpmtesla will take forever to ship.
I cancelled my order after it remained "unfulfilled" for 7 weeks.
I did get the RPM Tesla kit. I couldn't tell a big difference in noise, but what got me was that the rubber started to pull underneath the skirt around the glass at both rear corners. Didn't like the look and felt like I was ruining the sealing of the skirt, so have taken it off. I tried two times in case I did it wrong the first time, second time following their instructional video. Unfortunately I think the new design makes it too thin at the corners and it slips underneath. Not sure if the v1 version did that. Real pity, I liked the idea a lot and felt like it's actually an improvement in sealing/preventing dirt around the glass over time, but not worth damaging anything.

Showroom staff in Sydney told me it is $12000, after delivery.

Methinks you/ the Sydney showroom staff might be mistaken? It's still $8500 in my vehicle upgrades page when I log in:

upload_2020-2-20_20-30-37.png

Wasn’t the price actually $8500+luxury tax, therefore approx. $11300? Showroom staff in Sydney told me it is $12000, after delivery. The additional $2000 luxury car tax is what put me off, not the $2000, itself. Would Tesla be selling more FSD at a no cost to them post delivery flat rate $8500+GST= $9350, and no penalty, for changing your mind, after delivery? No way to know, but is anybody here who didn’t want it before, willing to pay $12,000 now?
Hi, I bought it after delivery. It was $8500 including gst and no credit card surcharge. I called Tesla as the website payment system was down at that time- took less than 5min and they emailed the tax invoice. It was active within the hour.

Thanks. Never been to the upgrades section of my account. A month before delivery, I dropped into Martin Place, and the Tesla girl had to disappear to check the computer, then comes back and tells me $12K if I don’t add it before delivery. I think I might buy it now.

I've had my car for a couple of months now, and just upgraded on Wednesday. It was $8,500 including GST. While I don't think it's worth the money (yet), it is a lot of fun, and I wanted to lock it in at the current price before new features are added. So far I've had a couple of hair raising drives on the M1 with navigate on autopilot, and freaked out a few people playing with summon in the car park. My wife hates it. It definitely feels like its a long way from really being autonomous.

• Informative
Reactions: Flatbat
I don’t have FSD, but my both my wife and daughter have forbidden me to ever use Autopilot while they are in the car. Absolutely non-negotiable.

Even driving solo though I have not tried Autopilot yet, mainly because the skittish/jerky TACC/ABS experiences I have had have been bad enough to not want to test my luck.
I can understand that, but it's great on major highways or slowly creeping along in heavy traffic (in my opinion). You do have to pick your roads though, and you get used to recognising situations that are going to be tricky for it so you can take over ahead of time.

At times I wish I had FSD for the lane changing, but that's a minor gripe.

But essentially you can colour me a fan of autopilot, and it's certainly worth testing out. It's also the most amazing thing ever according to just about every person I've taken for a drive and shown them the, "Look, Ma! No hands!" trick...

I can understand that, but it's great on major highways or slowly creeping along in heavy traffic (in my opinion). You do have to pick your roads though, and you get used to recognising situations that are going to be tricky for it so you can take over ahead of time.

At times I wish I had FSD for the lane changing, but that's a minor gripe.

But essentially you can colour me a fan of autopilot, and it's certainly worth testing out. It's also the most amazing thing ever according to just about every person I've taken for a drive and shown them the, "Look, Ma! No hands!" trick...
I’m of a similar opinion. I’m happy to let the car drive along with me supervising it and being ready to take over in situations that I know will provoke the AI into making poor choices. It does lighten the workload of driving considerably and it is interesting to watch how the behaviour of the system changes with time.

To me even TACC and auto steer is not useful, as I have to pay even more attention to the driving than driving it myself, which defects the purpose. I have simply Given up of them. I wonder if similar system from other manufacturers are better, or worse.
I drove to Sydney before my car had AP; was OK but not great. Since I have driven to Sydney many times, Melbourne, Townsville, Chinchilla many times and Stanthorpe many times all on AP. I wouldn't do it any other way. We are going to France in a couple of months and hired a Telsa with AP; couldn't face European traffic again without AP.

I am using AP almost 100% of the time on Sydney motorways now. Feeling much refreshed after long trips. Perhaps, the first couple of weeks it takes some additional effort to closely monitor how it is handling the lane. But once I got used to it, it is no longer stressful.
Agree! I had a round trip from Brisbane to Melbourne in January and always used AP, NoA. Quite relax, no stressful at all.

Reactions: Techno-phile