Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
plus no other manufacturer in no were near what Tesla is doing with AP.
Not sure about this. A friend of mine who has a BMW said his car does what the Tesla's AP does, so I looked up BMW's website. It's seems that BMW offers at least the equivalent of Tesla's AP, and it's had 360 degree camera for years. I don't know how they compare with Tesla's AP.

Last edited:
The more you use TACC and Autopilot, the more you understand their limitations.
Avoid roads with poor markings, sharp curves, like the M1 north of Brooklyn NSW, any lane that splits, and any sharp crests. Having said that the car handles these weak areas better after each update and I’ve had very few phantom braking events on large dual road highways. Start with those areas only and as you better understand the limitations you can optionally try it on smaller regional roads.

The more you use TACC and Autopilot, the more you understand their limitations.
Yes, I think this is an important message fro new Tesla owners, especially 3s.
Some of us have had the a Tesla since Autopilot was introduced and our understanding and expectations are in-line with what the system can do.
It clearly isn't the right thing to do to tell a Tesla new owner to get in, turn on Autopilot and stop paying attention. They will have a few scares before they know how and when to use this excellent driver's aid.

Reactions: Techno-phile
I drive almost 100km everyday and use AP/NoA on M1 and M2 in Sydney on a daily basis and consider it a very useful diver assist feature.

It's very useful in heavy traffic or when there is no traffic. However, I find it less "relaxing" when it's busy and moving close to the speed limit. I certainly agree that it's very important to be aware of it's utility and limitations.

Personally, I feel I can only truly relax when it's no longer considered beta as we have be careful beta testing features on public roads with others who have not consented to be subjects in our tech experiment.

Reactions: Hairyman
I've done two interstate road trips across Vic. and SA highways, and got to appreciate the AP very much - way more relaxed after 10 hours on the road. However, it does require a bit of overseeing at times - i.e. turning off in certain situations. As others have mentioned, it tends to hug an outside line on LH bends and when something's coming the other way (usually the case, it seemed) it's best to take over.

Sometimes approaching a LH bend, with lane lines partially hidden by a bit of rising road ahead, can make opposing traffic appear to be coming at you in the LH lane, and again the AP hesitates momentarily.

On the same country highways, but in different weather, I've noticed something interesting about the car's phantom braking occurrences. On a bright sunny day with tree shadows across the road, occasionally the car would baulk momentarily at one shadow out of a whole kilometre or more of roadside trees. Doing the same trip on a cloudy day and it didn't hesitate once, not for the same rows of trees or for anything else.

After 5000km, I've developed a sixth sense and can often predict a hiccup in our progress, moving my right foot over the accelerator to catch it.

Ever heard of the Latte Line in Sydney? It's a line which runs approximately from the airport through Parramatta which supposedly divides well off areas from less well off areas.

Looking at the ChargeFox app it looks like ChargeFox has decided that the Latte Line should also divide people who can charge their car using ChargeFox from those who can't.

Screenshot_20200116-074721.png

Just a heads up, I've just discovered a leak from my portable charger handle. It's only 3 months old.
I'm using it exclusively until the home charger I've ordered arrives into the country.
Anyway, it seems that the cable contains some sort of sticky fluid that is used as a coolant (who knew?) and it's leaking from under the label.

Evidently I shouldn't use it till it's replaced.

Personally, I feel I can only truly relax when it's no longer considered beta as we have be careful beta testing features on public roads with others who have not consented to be subjects in our tech experiment.

SO....if Tesla overnight said it's no longer Beta, but now the "released" version, with the software not changed at all, you'd magically be able to relax???? Odd. I'd think it's either OK, or it's not.

• Funny
Reactions: raynewman