Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My son got delivery today of a Chinese manufactured M3 SR+ in Brisbane.

Quick look around the car tonight and it looks like much improved paint and panel finish compared to my December 2020 delivered 2021 spec M3P from USA. All panel gaps look very even and the frunk is perfectly flush all around.

There was a Tesla first aid kit in his car. Is this a new thing?

I also noticed the charging screen doesn't have a split for daily and trip levels, appears to recommend charging to 100% all the time.

My son got delivery today of a Chinese manufactured M3 SR+ in Brisbane.

Quick look around the car tonight and it looks like much improved paint and panel finish compared to my December 2020 delivered 2021 spec M3P from USA. All panel gaps look very even and the frunk is perfectly flush all around.
A number of people reckon that the MIC Model 3s are better quality than the MIUSA ones! There was a time when no-one would ever think that of a MIC car. But, people used to think that of Japanese cars once, then Korean. Maybe Vietnam will be next.

A number of people reckon that the MIC Model 3s are better quality than the MIUSA ones! There was a time when no-one would ever think that of a MIC car. But, people used to think that of Japanese cars once, then Korean. Maybe Vietnam will be next.

I can say from personal experience the BMW's and Merc's MIC are all of exceptional standard and often, if not always, are better built than their South Africa/California and dare I say German factories....I see no reason that the MIC Tesla's will be any different.
  1. More people per car for checks ensuring faults, misalignments etc. are corrected before being sent to the customer
  2. Newer/better paint system (no darn dust in the nips)
  3. Newer robots

I can say from personal experience the BMW's and Merc's MIC are all of exceptional standard and often, if not always, are better built than their South Africa/California and dare I say German factories....I see no reason that the MIC Tesla's will be any different.
  1. More people per car for checks ensuring faults, misalignments etc. are corrected before being sent to the customer
  2. Newer/better paint system (no darn dust in the nips)
  3. Newer robots
4. I suspect they don't have the same environmental controls and can therefore, for example, use non-aqueous based paints etc. This leads to better finishes more easily.

Guys, I'm super excited. My M3LR is booked in for delivery next Wednesday. Yee ha!!!
Your excitement is justified! M3LR is a truly awesome vehicle... you will love it. No range anxiety whatsoever. My wife recently did a 3400 km tour of regional NSW and VIC using a mix of Telsa, NRMA, Chargefox and Evie with no problems whatsoever. Melbourne back to Sydney in an afternoon/evening with only 2 stops to recharge at Wodonga and Gundagai - basically the same as what someone would do in an ICE.

I was envious I wasn’t there :D

Reactions: Hungry Mile
Your excitement is justified! M3LR is a truly awesome vehicle... you will love it. No range anxiety whatsoever. My wife recently did a 3400 km tour of regional NSW and VIC using a mix of Telsa, NRMA, Chargefox and Evie with no problems whatsoever. Melbourne back to Sydney in an afternoon/evening with only 2 stops to recharge at Wodonga and Gundagai - basically the same as what someone would do in an ICE.

I was envious I wasn’t there :D

Wow thanks for that. I'm impressed with what she achieved. My car guy buddies are really not that happy with my choice of vehicle, saying that things like this are no longer possible, and that I should stick with traditional products from legacy car makers blah blah blah. I get the feeling that they are really just afraid of change.

I've done the telegraphic transfer of funds, lined up my comprehensive insurance and ordered a few small accessory items, so should be good to go!

Have a great weekend

Last edited:
Wow thanks for that. I'm impressed with what she achieved. My car guy buddies are really not that happy with my choice of vehicle, saying that things like this are no longer possible, and that I should stick with traditional products from legacy car makers blah blah blah. I get the feeling that they are really just afraid of change.
You are welcome :p

We’ve been an EV-only household now for 15 months. It riles me up when people comment online on newspaper articles etc about how EVs cannot possibly work in Australia because, you know, everyone always drives vast distances frequently without ever stopping (the nullabor plain is mentioned often). Some even state with confidence that Sydney-Melbourne is impossible or would take too long. Just goes to show what ignorance is out there.

Sure, a little more planning is required in an EV if one is travelling away from the major cities, but even in the last 18 months the number of DCFC options in NSW has increased tremendously. Model 3 having CCS2 is brilliant - so glad they didn’t stick with the Tesla plug. And there are great tools to make trip planning easy (ABRP and Plugshare are my friends).

And the best thing is being able to fill up on sunlight / renewable energy at home and never having to buy petrol ever again. I don’t even know what the current pump price is because I just don’t notice it any more.

Reactions: Anubis and OzBMR

We’ve been an EV-only household now for 15 months. It riles me up when people comment online on newspaper articles etc about how EVs cannot possibly work in Australia because, you know, everyone always drives vast distances frequently without ever stopping (the nullabor plain is mentioned often). Some even state with confidence that Sydney-Melbourne is impossible or would take too long. Just goes to show what ignorance is out there.

Sure, a little more planning is required in an EV if one is travelling away from the major cities, but even in the last 18 months the number of DCFC options in NSW has increased tremendously. Model 3 having CCS2 is brilliant - so glad they didn’t stick with the Tesla plug. And there are great tools to make trip planning easy (ABRP and Plugshare are my friends).

And the best thing is being able to fill up on sunlight / renewable energy at home and never having to buy petrol ever again. I don’t even know what the current pump price is because I just don’t notice it any more.

ditto for us, coming on 3 years as 2x EVs...really no issues....previous to the current 3/X we had a S and Range Rover and pretty much used the S for nearly everything we could including out of town trips (Adelaide, Ski trips, Sydney etc.)....two right, charging from the sun is glorious....I think we have over $550 credit at the moment....the PW2 and a lotta panels does feel great....

Reactions: Vostok

I have my car now. Collected it this morning from Chatswood. To say I’m impressed is an under statement. Updated the software and waiting to go for a drive. I’m confined to home for a little while due to knee surgery but am looking forward to another drive longer than 10 minutes 😂

I have my car now. Collected it this morning from Chatswood. To say I’m impressed is an under statement. Updated the software and waiting to go for a drive. I’m confined to home for a little while due to knee surgery but am looking forward to another drive longer than 10 minutes 😂
You must have been among the first to collect from Chatswood!

The feeling of wanting to go for drives will be frequent and never goes away 😊

I understand the cars these days don’t come with the wall connector as standard. Will you get one? I use mine to more dial the charge rate down (so that I can charge purely from solar) rather than up to max to charge quickly. But it is nice having the latter option. With 3-phase power the max charge rate is 11.5 kW (~72 km/h).

I got my car ceramic coated. Being white, it makes it sooooo much easier to wash and keep clean. After my wife came back from her road trip the front of the car was a real mess of splattered bugs, but they washed off easy!

I also got mudflaps from Alibaba (they look great and work a treat) and a console wrap - but you would have got the new console in yours? Is it still shiny piano black?

The last accessory I got was a J1772 to Mennekes adaptor (this type - much neater in my view than a cable adaptor like this). I’ve not used it yet, but keep it in the sub—boot just in case I need to charge and tethered J1772 is the only option.

You must have been among the first to collect from Chatswood!

The feeling of wanting to go for drives will be frequent and never goes away 😊

I understand the cars these days don’t come with the wall connector as standard. Will you get one? I use mine to more dial the charge rate down (so that I can charge purely from solar) rather than up to max to charge quickly. But it is nice having the latter option. With 3-phase power the max charge rate is 11.5 kW (~72 km/h).

I got my car ceramic coated. Being white, it makes it sooooo much easier to wash and keep clean. After my wife came back from her road trip the front of the car was a real mess of splattered bugs, but they washed off easy!

I also got mudflaps from Alibaba (they look great and work a treat) and a console wrap - but you would have got the new console in yours? Is it still shiny piano black?

The last accessory I got was a J1772 to Mennekes adaptor (this type - much neater in my view than a cable adaptor like this). I’ve not used it yet, but keep it in the sub—boot just in case I need to charge and tethered J1772 is the only option.
Awesome tips on the accessories there, thanks for that!

I haven't decided to install a dedicated power solution yet. At the moment I'm just using a 15A GPO with the appropriate pigtail on the supplied travel charger. I have 3 phase at home already so that is a definite option if desired.

Was there a preferred supplier for the ceramic coating in metro Sydney?

The centre console is no longer piano black, but a muted silver so should be more practical. I will get more time with the car when I'm no longer confined to the house due to recent general anaesthetic. Knee is sore but ibuprofen/paracetamol is keeping it much more tolerable.

Also one last thing, what are people doing for all-weather floor mats on the RHD vehicles? I see many options for LHD. I don't want to be too picky but something that doesn't smell too Industrial would be great. It's mainly to protect the floor somewhat from wet dog.

Also one last thing, what are people doing for all-weather floor mats on the RHD vehicles? I see many options for LHD. I don't want to be too picky but something that doesn't smell too Industrial would be great. It's mainly to protect the floor somewhat from wet dog.

For floor mats, I got these and can recommend them. They are 3d, with high lips all round. So they don't move around at all, and they also "contain" any dirt really well. Super easy to clean.

On the dog question, I got one of these. Fits the TM3 perfectly, just pop the loops over the rear headrests. Takes about 15 seconds. It has velcro openings for seatbelts, so you can still take 2 rear passengers + the hound.

You can throw the whole thing in the washing machine.

Reactions: Hairyman
For floor mats, I got these and can recommend them. They are 3d, with high lips all round. So they don't move around at all, and they also "contain" any dirt really well. Super easy to clean.

On the dog question, I got one of these. Fits the TM3 perfectly, just pop the loops over the rear headrests. Takes about 15 seconds. It has velcro openings for seatbelts, so you can still take 2 rear passengers + the hound.

You can throw the whole thing in the washing machine.
Nice one, thanks. Mats and pet protection ordered! There's some great stuff on that site, sadly some out of stock, but the mats were in stock.

Last edited:
You know you can simply do that with a setting in the car & it will remember if for the location? Seems simpler than stuffing around with the WC rotary switch inside the WC. One of my three wall chargers is at a house with solar. I have the car set to pull 20 amps at that location to match what the solar system generates to save $. If I am in a hurry I simply crank the amps setting on the charge screen in the car.

Reactions: Hairyman