Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 initial impressions (and compare to. BMW 5-series)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post here - cross-posting with other forums (like bimmerfest).

I took delivery of a new Tesla Model 3 LR AWD few days ago, and had a chance to put it through its paces. It is a really impressive car in many ways.

First - build quality. My car is early 2019 build. I do NOT have any panel gaps or misalignments - with one exception, the rear driver-side door chrome edge is slightly misaligned (but not enough to bother me). Did not find any other issues whatsoever, inside or out. There are no rattles at all inside the cabin so far (I know it's still early days) - but very happy about that. In short - the car has been perfect.

I got the car fully loaded (to the extent that term applies). The only thing I didn't get is the white interior - as I don't think it looks better. I got the 19" wheels - that is the one option I was undecided about; good arguments both ways; in the end I went with it because the car I test-drove had the 19" - and I liked the ride. Also the reviewers said that (1) the 19" stock tires have much better stopping distance than the 18", and (2) - counterintuitively - the 19" offer more compliant ride as the sidewall of the stock tires is softer. I know those are both the tires, not the wheels - but since I don't intend to change the stock tires until I wear them out - the arguments apply. The ride on the stock 19" is nice, a bit stiff but not harsh at all.

I will compare the Tesla to our other car - BMW 535 (also fully loaded). I realize the BMW is higher class car - and a lot more expensive. It has a number of bells and whistles not present on the Tesla. Surprisingly though - overall the Tesla comes ahead. And also surprising - it has a number of luxury features where I didn't expect it will match the BMW but it does.

Some areas where Tesla is better:
(I will not get into the advantages of electric vs. ICE - those are well known. To me the only downside would be driving long distance - and since our household has also the ICE car - I will never use the Tesla for that - so zero downside on the electric). On the actual driving experience:
* Driving dynamics - the Model 3 is outstanding. Acceleration/handling/braking/etc. - absolutely great! Better than any BMW I've owned.
* The navigation - no comparison. Way better than what I have on the 5er.
* The seemless experience. I thought the BMW keyless entry is great - but man the Tesla just smokes that. You only need your phone - which I always have with me - never a danger I will forget my car key. Exit the car - don't touch anything, walk away - the car locks itself. Approach the locked car - grab the handle and open the door. (As opposed to the BMW where you grab the handle and the car unlocks but if you don't wait for a bit you pull and the door is still locked). The Tesla leaves the garage - and the garage door closes (without me having to touch anything). Come back to the house - the garage door opens by itself. The expirience is awesome, and can't keep but ask - why is it otherwise with any other car??
* The phone app - the functionality it offers remotely is fantastic (and improving further as more features like advanced summon get rolled out).
* Over the air upgrades. Major advantage (though I admittedly have not had a chance to experience yet).
* Number of other things I'm forgetting - the huge screen, the always functioning browser in the car is nice when you need quick info, and so on.

About on par:
* The air-conditioning. People rave about the air-conditioning system in the Tesla. I don't find it that superior. It is good and works well - but I don't like it better or worse than the more traditional system in the BMW. Both are good. My BMW does have 4-zone climate control - so for the rear-seats it's better.
* The entertainments system. I guess Tesla is better - but for my purposes both work equally well. The BMW has Sirius (with lifetime subscription) which Tesla doesn't have. Also my BMW has rear-sear entertainment system with screens where you can watch from a USB drive (or DVD but we never use DVD). I intend to get Kindle Fires for the Tesla - but cannot figure out how to attach to the back of the front seats (as Tesla seats are monolitic rather than having separate headrest).
* Seats - comfort and adjustability. I guess BMW is better - but for me they both work fine. Also - 4 heated seats on both cars.
* Some other things - like lane-departure warning work exactly the same. Not talking about auto-pilot, simpy that the steering wheel vibrates when you hit the divider. I like that feature - and didn't expect to get it in the Tesla, so nice surprise.
* I believe the front colision warning (and auto-stop) should be the same - but didn't get a chance to test on the Tesla. Works great on the BMW.

Some areas where the BMW is better:
* HUD. Surprisingly I do not miss the instrument cluster. But Model 3 badly needs HUD. In fact I would have never bought a car without HUD - except for the Tesla factor.
* The doors. The Tesla doors are horrible. We do have soft-close doors on the BMW and I guess we got used to those. Never thought I'd consider them more than minor. However - half the time I close the Tesla door it tells me it's not actually closed. I noticed after that happened couple of times to my wife, she started slamming the doors real hard. Not good. It's kind of Ok when you're sitting in the car and have to re-close. But when you're walking away - and expect the Model 3 to lock itself - and it doesn't because it thinks a door is open - that's a recipe for disaster.
* Top camera on the BMW. Can survive without it - but am missing it badly.
* Automatic trunk. And I don't just mean motorized, I mean the feature where you kick under the rear bumper and the trunc opens (when your hands are full).
* Heated steering wheel - as mentioned in many other posts.
* The headlights on the BMW are better, though the auto-headlights on the Tesla work pretty well.
* The finish / interior quality in the BMW is much nicer.

Now I do realize the BMW advantages are luxury features of a higher priced car. When it comes to driving experience - the Tesla really smokes the BMW out, it's all one-sided. However I have to say this - I would have paid another $10,000 for a luxury pack on the Tesla containing those features. As it is I purchased the highest prices Model 3; the only way I could go higher was extra $10K for performance model - which I don't need as performance of my car is already fantastic. Would have paid more for luxury though - if offered. I am sure I am not the only one cross-shopping mid-level luxury sedans with Tesla so they could make some extra $$ offering that. (The only way to get higher end car with Tesla was to go with Model S - however that is $30K more so not really comparable; plus I liked how Model 3 drives a lot better than the S so wouldn't go there).

Finally - the autopilot. To me the $8K spend on AP+FSD was the least justified part of the purchase. As an adaptive cruise-control it works very well. I had trouble getting the auto-steeting to work (it keeps disengaging - I'm sure I'll figure it out, but it's not seemless or intuitive). Couldn't get it to auto-park either. In my few tries - it only recongnized parking spot once, and then when I put the car in reverse and pushed the button to auto-park, it basically didn't do anything. So maybe the software upgrades will get the FSD to a point where it is worth the money - in fact I'm counting on that - but for now I find it not very impressive.

Bottom line - the Tesla is an awesome car, much better than I expected - despite some things it is missing.

Excellent write up. I’ll note that the Model 3 does have separate headrests but you really have to jam your fingers in there to adjust them.

When you say autosteer disengages what do you mean? Mine has never done such a thing unless I manually turn the wheel.

Reactions: focher
the rear driver-side door chrome edge is slightly misaligned (but not enough to bother me)
FYI if you have it into the SC or have a Ranger out they'll fix that straight up. I had the same thing, misalignment where the rear and front drivers side pieces meet and the Ranger fixed it up, quick.

(1) the 19" stock tires have much better stopping distance than the 18", and (2) - counterintuitively - the 19" offer more compliant ride as the sidewall of the stock tires is softer
That's really mostly a factor of the 18" MXM4 vs the Continentials that Tesla mounts on the 19". For roughly the same $1000 you could immediately toss 18" tires the swap in some primo PS 4S, same rubber as is on the Performance but in a different size. That's what I'm doing, save for first wearing out the MXM4s. :)

P.S. I suggest you try a long trip with the Model 3. I've never driven a SuperCruise caddie but I suspect it is the only one that could come close to touching the Model 3 for overall trip experience, certainly in a "car" format, and only then on the whitelisted highways.

Last edited:
I had trouble getting the auto-steeting to work (it keeps disengaging - I'm sure I'll figure it out, but it's not seemless or intuitive).
My guess is your inner control freak is pushing too hard on the wheel. The first couple of times during test drives this happened to me, I couldn't get it to stay engaged. I just didn't like where in the lane it was, in the context of where other vehicles were. It just drove different than I've always driven. Once I got delivery of mine I found a relatively empty, divided highway stretch and I willed myself to back off. It's just you need to become comfortable with it doing it's slight movement and ease the tension in your arm, is my guess.
Couldn't get it to auto-park either.
Yeah, I've never used it. :) I like parking, working the geometry of it, I'm weird that way.

Pretty nice write up, you said it yourself, you are comparing the 5 series to the model 3, I think a better comparison would be Vs a 3 series. My wife has a 2014 328i luxury and Technology packages and and I have a RWD/LR/PUP/EAP/FSD June 2018 build.

Performance: the 328i is quite strong for a 4 cylinder turbo charged, we love the power on this car. BUT of course it is nothing compared against the instant torque of the electric drive. Still both are pretty enjoyable rides.

Ride: I have to say that the 328i is a smoother ride, because of the luxury package. The slightly stiffer ride on my 3 series is not something that bothers me at all.

Interior build: on both cars is supreme, both cars to me look gorgeous on their own way. I have to say that after owning the simplistic model 3 cars with knobs and switches are starting to look cluttered to me.

Infotaiment: On this the 328i SMOKES the tesla. Navigation and sound are superior on Tesla that is it. The bluetooth controls on the BMW are way better, the smaller screen splits to show you navigation and a large display of the artwork of what is playing on your phone, you can also navigate through your playlists and select a playlist or a specific song. also you can shuffle the contents of the playlist you are playing. you can FFW and RWD through the song that is currently playing. Sirius XM is available in the BMW, we subscribe to it and is great in roadtrips. The dependency to cell phone signal on the tesla is a limitation if you travel to areas where signal is patchy, I knew of this in advance so I downloaded a playlist to my phone for our last roadtrip. On the 328i you can also preview text messages from your phone, oh and if you plug in your phone to the car, you get a built in interface to Spotify (I hope if there is an exclusivity contract with slacker that it comes to an end SOON!). We have a kia sportage in the family and it has Carplay, don't get me going on that is being a even better interface!.

Comfort: both my wife and I are short, so the seats on both cars are very comfortable We have done long roadtrips on both cars and never felt tired from sitting down. A big plus for my wife is that she does not have to push the seat too far forward to reach the pedals ending up too close to the steering wheel, this was a problem in my 2009 Mini Cooper.

The HUD I have to agree it would be nice to have in the model 3, I really like it on the 328i.

The 328i has a moonroof, the model 3 has the whole sky over your head for you to enjoy :) is like driving a convertible with Air Conditioning or Heater!

Both cars have auto dimming mirrors, which is excellent when a teenager with a supped up Civic with misaligned Halogen headlamps gets behind you, or the usual redneck in a monster truck.

I guess that's all I can think of mentioning about my experience on both our cars. i would say it would be more fair to compare a 2019 330i Vs the current 3 series.

My wife really likes the door soft close, auto open and auto close features on her X. She says my car (the S) is old fashioned. So I can see how you'd miss the soft closing feature on the 3 after becoming used to it on the BMW. I often wish Tesla would implement some form of foot waving trunk opener as well. I've never had a car with it, but I sure do wish I could open the trunk while my hands are full on a regular basis.

I do a lot of night driving, so the feature on the top of my wish list is some form of infrared HUD that would show animals on the road.

Reactions: SDRick

When you say autosteer disengages what do you mean? Mine has never done such a thing unless I manually turn the wheel.

I only had one trip on a highway - but I did try several times. The autopilot engages, auto-steers for a while then about a minute or two later it stops steering. It keeps the adaptive cruise control on - i.e. maintains speed, etc. But the small steering wheel icon on the screen is now gray instead of blue - and it doesn't auto-steer.

In response to the suggestion from the other poster that maybe I'm applying too much pressure on the steering wheel - I thought it's the other way around, that the car thinks I don't have my hands on the steering wheel (even though I do). Anyway - I'm sure I'll work it out when I have more time and practice.

FYI if you have it into the SC or have a Ranger out they'll fix that straight up. I had the same thing, misalignment where the rear and front drivers side pieces meet and the Ranger fixed it up, quick.

I actually pointed the issue at the delivery center before I took delivery - but my advisor said this is normal for Model 3 and not something to be fixed. I guess they were busy with many deliveries right now before the end of the quarter.

I won't call service just for that - but yes next time I need service for another reason - I'll ask them to fix. Thanks for letting me know they can.

Reactions: SammichLover
The biggest things I am expecting to miss when I get my 3 in June vs my 328i xdrive are top camera and HUD.

Hadn't really thought about missing xm radio but now slightly worried about it. Have some areas (including my house) where cell service is a little spotty...so might be a frustration...

With that said...I think I'll live..haha

....but my advisor said this is normal for Model 3 and not something to be fixed. I guess they were busy with many deliveries right now before the end of the quarter.
Ugg. I mean if it is really small difference? Indeed that person could have just been giving you the brush-off to get things out the door.

However yes, I just had them do that as part of a few other tweaks that were higher priority. Tesla has been pretty responsive to my request to fix squeaks and such. Beyond what I even went in for, once, as they found an extra one and fixed by replacing a shock that had started generating a bit of noise.

Excellent write up. I’ll note that the Model 3 does have separate headrests but you really have to jam your fingers in there to adjust them.

Noted your comment that you can adjust the Model 3 headrests. I have an early VIN# 8xxx and don't seem to be able to adjust them even by jamming my "fingers in there to adjust them".
Could you clarify how you're able to adjust them. Perhaps the newer seats allow for the headrests to be moved.

I only had one trip on a highway - but I did try several times. The autopilot engages, auto-steers for a while then about a minute or two later it stops steering. It keeps the adaptive cruise control on - i.e. maintains speed, etc. But the small steering wheel icon on the screen is now gray instead of blue - and it doesn't auto-steer.

In response to the suggestion from the other poster that maybe I'm applying too much pressure on the steering wheel - I thought it's the other way around, that the car thinks I don't have my hands on the steering wheel (even though I do). Anyway - I'm sure I'll work it out when I have more time and practice.

Does it disengage with a friendly beep, or with the read warning and warning noise? It sounds likes it's doing the friendly beep disengagement, and that usually means your applying enough pressure to the wheel to stop it from steering. It's doesn't take much force to disengage steering, and that's on purpose. Try keeping your hand on the wheel, but applying zero turning pressure, or keeping your hand very close, but not touching the wheel. When autopilot asks you to apply pressure you can either squeeze the wheel or roll one of the knobs on the wheel (volume or speed adjustment) up or down to clear the alert. I travel 120 miles daily for my commute and auto pilot makes it an absolute breeze.

Can all of you please tell me how you find the seats? Does anyone have the new back seat? Is it more comfortable? How about the front seats?

The front seats on the Model 3 are more comfortable than the ones I had in my 2016 F30. However the Tesla headrest is angled a bit forward for my taste and is not adjustable. I also find the lumbar controls much more difficult to operate on the Tesla... at one point when I was trying to set the lumbar it seemed to become frozen with maximum extension and was uncomfortable, I just ended up moving it to the position where it doesn't do anything and have left it there.

Even the redesigned Tesla rear seat is worse than the BMW, because of the size of the battery pack anybody taller than maybe 5'8" is going to have their knees in the air with little to no thigh support in the Model 3... not much of a deal to me as I virtually never use my car to chauffeur adults.

My BMWs all had nice premium quality cargo nets for securing loose items and had grocery hooks in the trunk. Tesla has none of this (it has a couple of hooks in the frunk but I hate using the frunk) and the partition between the main trunk and sub-compartment is a flimsy piece of fiber board... I would have though they at least would have included a magnet closure.

Due to the design of the Tesla with the enormous mesh pass through from the trunk to the cabin you can hear every little noise coming from items in the trunk, if I hit a bump I can hear the zippers on my laptop bag rattle. I wish they would have used a noise dampening foam baffle or something to make this less noticeable.

My guess is your inner control freak is pushing too hard on the wheel. The first couple of times during test drives this happened to me, I couldn't get it to stay engaged. I just didn't like where in the lane it was, in the context of where other vehicles were.

Yes -- that was my experience in my 2015 P90D with Autopilot, as it often tried to get into the adjacent lane or head for an exit ramp and I had to manually re-center the car in my lane, which made Autopilot disengage. My 2014 Mercedes E550 also has autopilot and it is much better at keeping the car centered in the lane, and if I want to move the car (ex: avoid a pothole), it allows me to move the steering wheel without disengaging.

We have had our M3 LR AWD for about 3 weeks now, in general I would have to say we love it.
But regarding the auto steer, we found that out on the freeway it did quite well, it never did auto steer to navigation. However, we live in the sticks. The snows have just melted in the last week.
The state highway a 2 lane to the nearest town runs along the Columbia River. In and out of shade, wet patches from snow melt etc. the Auto steer will work on the clear sunny straight section, as soon as we hit a shadow or wet section, the AP cuts of.
We reset it and then it kicks of again as we enter a bridge that has lines but a nontangential entry. Essentially it sucks in anything but bright highway conditions, with spotlessly clear road markings.
But we didnt buy the car just for that, which gives Tesla time to refine the system so that in my dotterage I can tell “Scarlet” to take us shopping or to our favorite pub and then home of course.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
Yes -- that was my experience in my 2015 P90D with Autopilot, as it often tried to get into the adjacent lane or head for an exit ramp and I had to manually re-center the car in my lane, which made Autopilot disengage. My 2014 Mercedes E550 also has autopilot and it is much better at keeping the car centered in the lane.....

That is most definitely not what I'm talking about. My Model 3 has generally been laser precise about holding the lane. I seriously doubt there is anything out there that's close to it (there wasn't the last 3rd party testing on this that I've seen). It was a bit off towards the outside of curves, the tighter they were, initially but that's improved over the months, too. It is just that it always puts my right foot in the dead center of the lane and that wasn't what I was used to for position. I used to range quite a bit side to side with the lane depending on context, I just needed to get used to not doing that.

We reset it and then it kicks of again as we enter a bridge that has lines but a nontangential entry. Essentially it sucks in anything but bright highway conditions, with spotlessly clear road markings.
I've had it work flawlessly in torrential Gulf Coast rain, at Interstate speeds with heavy traffic misting. Daytime and night. It usually figures out faded lines that I personally struggle with.

Sounds like from your description it is having serious problems with strong, sharp edge shadows? Snow I don't know about, have yet to encounter it.