Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 - iPod vs USB Flash Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately USB playback currently sucks to the point where it's almost unusable. In addition to the issues mentioned in the video, it also simply can't play many files and throws a "loading error" for some reasons (that includes even AAC files from iTunes). It is really an embarrassment for a technology-oriented vehicle like this.

I figured out a hack to allow you to play all the tracks in a specific order by prepending the Song Title with a Base 36 counter. However, since the USB player doesn't remember where it left off, this is of limited usefulness. Also, Bluetooth music always takes precedence.

Too bad the iPad appears just like a USB drive and can't override the playback options.

Reactions: Gregwhiteshark
"256gb drive - takes only 7 minutes and 45 seconds to index" Almost 8 minutes? And "only 3 minutes to reindex when restarting the car"? This is hilarious and ridiculous - in the bad kind of way. Totally unacceptable behavior. Try taking that same flash drive and sticking it in your computer - notice how fast you can access the files? That's how it's supposed to be. I love this video, and hope enough people see it that Tesla gets the message (finally!) about how horribly bad the usb audio system is.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hans_TM3
This is the one thing that really annoys me about this car. A friggin’ iPod/mp3 player should just work. I mean, seriously.

My 2010 Infiniti G37. Just select iPod as source. I can search/browse by artist/album/song name/playlist etc. I can shuffle, repeat, skip forward and back. And it continues playing where it left off. Apparently this is soo complicated for Tesla. Heh.

Maybe something will be done in firmware v9 but I’m not holding my breath.

Reactions: rlb4
Resurrecting an old thread here, but it's relevant to my question, so:

I have a 256GB iPod classic that contains ALL of my music from time immemorial. Most of the music was ripped to Apple Lossless, but some is MP3s. I've noticed that when connected through USB, only some (can't figure out exactly how much) of the music is recognized/playable. So, a couple of questions:
  • If I connect via a Bluetooth transmitter, would I be able to access all of my music?
  • Would I be better off to move everything to a USB drive instead?
  • If so, what file format would be best for the USB?
I've grown accustomed to having access to my entire music collection in the car, and I'm a bit surprised that the Model 3's interface doesn't appear to offer an easier way to accommodate such a situation.

TIA for any advice!