Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 is crushing competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car sales are down. Everyone is buying SUVs. Should Tesla have gone with the Model Y first? I know I'd probably get a Y if it was offered now.
No need to immediately throw shade on a positive Model 3 thread. Y before 3 has been debated at length everywhere and perhaps would have been wiser, but why bring that up in this thread?

It is a significantly better vehicle in nearly every regard, and an informed (not misinformed) person would have a hard time choosing a Prius or BMW sedan over Model 3.

I mean I've heard plenty of excuses from friends who are buying a new car, and despite my attempts to help them, they have their heads stuck in the sand and stick to relatively naive points of view that they've picked up here and there and don't want to actually research them.

"Is Tesla even going to stay in business?" said a friend who will purchase a Hyundai sedan.

"We have nowhere to charge it." said the friend who probably doesn't even need more than 20 miles of range in a day.

"They're too expensive." said the friend who keeps cars for 10+ years and whose TCO will exceed Model 3 in less than 5 years.

"I like Toyotas." said the friend who apparently hates driving.

"They have a mind of their own. Someone like the government could hack them and drive me off the road!" said the most unimportant person ever.

These are all smart people, however. They'll figure it out.

I have to admit I spent quite a bit of time researching Teslas before I bought our first one. I had all of the same concerns about Teslas staying power, reliability, service levels...

But the biggest thing I did not realize until after I bought our second Tesla is just how incredibly efficient they are. It wasn’t until I started using TeslaFi to monitor how much each trip is costing me in electricity that a lightbulb went off in my head about how little money it costs to operate a Model 3. I don’t think the majority of car buyers understand just how significant the cost savings can be.

With that being said, I am surprised to see that they have so much inventory, and only a 2 week lead time for new orders. It seems like there should be a longer wait time if demand is as strong as Elon wants us to believe.

For me personally...

I've always been interested in Tesla since their cars first started hitting the roads. However - I didn't want to pay $100K+ for a car (that's what an S would've cost me with all the features/options that I wanted) and I'm far too impatient and maybe slightly untrusting to put down a deposit and wait for months on end to get a Model 3.

But NOW that they are hitting Tesla lots with some decent amount of stock to chose from it changed the game significantly for me. I scheduled a test drive and that night put down $2,500 on a vehicle they had on the lot. I took deliver two days later (would've been the next day but I wasn't available) and the rest is history.

I'm guessing that I'm not all that different from most folks out there. Now that Model 3's are hitting the road in larger numbers I feel like it will have a snowball effect.

And now that I've driven and fallen in love with the Model 3 (LR dual motor version with AP and FSD) I'm MUCH more likely to actually get the Y next or maybe even the X.

TL:DR - I think now that people are regularly seeing Model 3's on the road AND since you can go to most Tesla dealerships and buy one off the lot I think the sales numbers will only increase from here.

You're crazy to not at least consider a Tesla if you're in the market for a new car today.

From the same source:

Sales in the US Mid-sized segment fell by 13.7% to 1,697,498 in 2018, making it the second year in a row that sales in the segment have declined by more than 10%. With sales down by a third since their peak in 2015, the Mid-sized segment is another piece of evidence just how quick the shift toward crossovers has been over the past few years.

Jan '18 - Jan '19:

MB down almost 14%.
Lincoln up 20% (~$2500 in advertising dollars PER car - one of the highest in the industry)
Tesla up 314%
Nissan down 20%
VW down 6.7%
Mazda down 20%
Toyota down overall 7.1%
RAM up 24%

I've owned big trucks but was surprised how easy my adaption to the Model 3 was. If road taxes are implemented for BEV's, there should also be additional surcharges for heavy SUV's and trucks.

It is a significantly better vehicle in nearly every regard, and an informed (not misinformed) person would have a hard time choosing a Prius or BMW sedan over Model 3.

I mean I've heard plenty of excuses from friends who are buying a new car, and despite my attempts to help them, they have their heads stuck in the sand and stick to relatively naive points of view that they've picked up here and there and don't want to actually research them.

"Is Tesla even going to stay in business?" said a friend who will purchase a Hyundai sedan.

"We have nowhere to charge it." said the friend who probably doesn't even need more than 20 miles of range in a day.

"They're too expensive." said the friend who keeps cars for 10+ years and whose TCO will exceed Model 3 in less than 5 years.

"I like Toyotas." said the friend who apparently hates driving.

"They have a mind of their own. Someone like the government could hack them and drive me off the road!" said the most unimportant person ever.

These are all smart people, however. They'll figure it out.
There is nothing to figure out. That’s like the comment above that everyone wants SUV’s. Lots of different tastes. But one thing is clear: Tesla has caused a boom in all-electric vehicle development. New competitors are popping up every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zero CO2
The truth is most car makers are afraid of the lost revenue that comes with service of an Electric car . Or i should say the lost revenue of servicing an ICE. Have you been to some dealers and there service center is double the size of there sale department. Dealer are not pushing for EV's .The only reason they are pushing now is because of Tesla. Remember Hi DEF TV in the USA they where all over Europe and other countries but here the TV manufactures did not want to make or sale Hi Def TV and the Stations did not want to convert because the lack of TVs. Thus the Government had to force mandate Digital signal. I see EV's like DVD remember in Blockbuster store way in the back there where was only one shelf with DVD as time went by it grew and over took VHS.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Was this throwing shade on a positive Tesla post? If so I apologize.
I don't know about "shade" per se but it was something that missed the mark in that the magnitude of the drop in car/sedan sales overall is only about a 1/3 as big as the drop in both BMW & Prius sales.

BMW 3-Series in particular has been slumping for a while, maybe because of impending Model 3 or maybe not, but it has now fell off the cliff. Very hard to plausibly argue that the Model 3 isn't a big factor, if not the outright majority of cause, in that. Tesla marketing wise and design wise teed up the Model 3 straight at the 3-series, and in so many, many ways bests it.

Last edited:
Car sales are down. Everyone is buying SUVs. Should Tesla have gone with the Model Y first? I know I'd probably get a Y if it was offered now.
Near-record inventories pinch dealers

What's remarkable is that Model 3 sales are up (look at the graph) while car sales are down in general and specifically the two cars that are most traded for the Model 3 are down significantly more than other sales.

Humm then why is tesla struggling to sell the model 3? All his discount and still losing profit.

They have designed the pricing so they still make money on every car sold. Tesla is still losing money overall due to overhead (expanding the huge worldwide Supercharging Network, upgrading Euro Superchargers to handle dual plug types, upgrading to Supercharger 3, building China factory, continuing R&D, software upgrades and development, autonomy development, etc.).

All these expenses can be costed over more vehicles as Tesla brings out new models and opens production in Europe. Their plan is to pour all profits back into production expansion (which lowers costs and increases demand), new models (Roadster II, Pickup Truck and Model Y), updating Models X and S, and, eventually, building up their fleet of autonomous taxis. Most people think you still have to wait for months or more to order a Model 3. It's only been available to non-reservation holders for less than a year.

Near-record inventories pinch dealers

What's remarkable is that Model 3 sales are up (look at the graph) while car sales are down in general and specifically the two cars that are most traded for the Model 3 are down significantly more than other sales.

Good article! Make one wonder where all the short-sellers covering GM, Ford and FCA are! That's well over 2 million vehicles they are unable to sell right away! And the remaining manufacturers add up to another 2 million unsold vehicles! That's 4 million unsold vehicles just sitting out in the weather!

Reactions: GSP