Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 is crushing competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More to the point; Why would Tesla have needed (wanted?) something "more popular", at least in terms of battery sold, when they have been going all out on production to catch up to demand?

It looks like Tesla is dialing back Model 3 production, dropping from 7000 to 5000-ish, right?

The pend-up Euro demand for Model 3 also seems to settle down, e.g. Norway dropped from 5135 in March to 720 in April.

There are two additional months in Q2, let's see how the demand (US, Euro, China) will end up by end of Q2(which then ushers in another fed credit phase out).

didn't answer the question of what the actual demand is.
For starters too busy dealing with clean-up of your bonkers assertions, such as:
Telsa is barely making half the cars it claimed it could make just because they stopped selling to one region so they could service another doesn't mean much of anything.
This is the same convolution of peak and longterm sustainable nonsense that has been repeated, and corrected, for well over a year now.

Slow learner? Or motived non-learner? :(

They've got cell production-demand mismatch company wide. And they do move production up and down, as they rework stuff. Another thing we've seen over and over for the last nearly two years.

As for Model 3 demand. It is very hard to say exactly where it is settling out, but your talking about pre-order numbers involved in this year's NA sales is way, WAY out of date. On top of your repeated use of 400K that you stubbornly refused to stop using. :/

P.S. There are probably limits on how high a mix of International orders they want to be building for, because of the delays in that cash flow.

Why? so they can **** up more stuff on it? I didn't have problems until they kept "updating" everything and they swear each new update will fix the last problem just to bring a new problem. You know how hard it is to convince a client they should lease a fleet of Tesla for their company when the MCU is constantly crashing and rebooting during a drive?

The fact remains, no matter how hard you badmouth and try to talk Tesla down, Tesla is CRUSHING the competition. People can see through the FUD and they are buying as many as they can make. Ford, GM, Audi, Chrysler/Fiat, they don't stand a chance when it comes to making an EV as good as the Model 3. Range, performance and price all in the same car.

I was not a preorder buyer.
I didn't have $1000 to lend to Elon.
I bought a Model 3 on a whim when SR+ became available.
Also, there must be a lot of people who canceled their orders after 1 or 2 years waiting for a $35K Model 3.

Regarding Model Y... If Tesla started out with Model Y, the prices would have been a lot higher than what we are hearing now, IMO.
The reason Elon can advertise base Model Y as $40K for 2020 is because it shares a lot of design and parts with Model 3, and the Y production line will have a lot of resemblance to Model 3 lines.

Mind sharing where this info is found? I always thought the promise was 5k a week.

This was an old tweet from Musk from 2017, so he did promise 10000 a week by end of 2018:

Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk has ‘zero doubt’ about 10,000 units per week in 2018, corrects reservation tally

"“What people should absolutely have zero concern about, and I mean 0, is that Tesla will achieve a 10,000 unit production week by the end of next year. […] I think people should really not have any concerns that we won’t reach that outcome from a production rate.”

• Informative
Reactions: afadeev
For starters too busy dealing with clean-up of your bonkers assertions, such as:

This is the same convolution of peak and longterm sustainable nonsense that has been repeated, and corrected, for well over a year now.

Slow learner? Or motived non-learner? :(

They've got cell production-demand mismatch company wide. And they do move production up and down, as they rework stuff. Another thing we've seen over and over for the last nearly two years.

As for Model 3 demand. It is very hard to say exactly where it is settling out, but your talking about pre-order numbers involved in this year's NA sales is way, WAY out of date. On top of your repeated use of 400K that you stubbornly refused to stop using. :/

P.S. There are probably limits on how high a mix of International orders they want to be building for, because of the delays in that cash flow.

Then why did Musk say that there were on the conference call for Q2 17?
“To be more accurate, there have been 518,000 gross reservations for Model 3 and then we have 455,000 net reservations.”

I used 400K because he said they had that many reservations. And what production demand mismatch? They stated they could do 10,000 vehicles a week by the end of 2018. It's not hard to figure out if each car has a battery and you're telling people you can make 10,000 a week, you'll need to have a supply of 10,000 batteries for that model. So any mismatch is squarely on the shoulders of someone who didn't do their job or lied about what was possible.

The fact remains, no matter how hard you badmouth and try to talk Tesla down, Tesla is CRUSHING the competition. People can see through the FUD and they are buying as many as they can make. Ford, GM, Audi, Chrysler/Fiat, they don't stand a chance when it comes to making an EV as good as the Model 3. Range, performance and price all in the same car.

What EV's from Ford, GM, Audi, Chrysler/Fiat is Tesla competing with?

Mind sharing where this info is found? I always thought the promise was 5k a week.

Again, Q2 17 earning call

“What people should absolutely have zero concern about, and I mean 0, is that Tesla will achieve a 10,000 unit production week by the end of next year. […] I think people should really not have any concerns that we won’t reach that outcome from a production rate.”

and another quote from the earning call

What we have ahead of us, of course, is an incredibly difficult production ramp. Nonetheless, I think we've got a great team, and I'm very confident that we will be able to reach a production rate of 10,000 vehicles per week towards the end of next year. And we remain – we believe on track to achieve a 5,000 unit week by the end of this year.

They were supposed to have 5K by the end of 2017 and 10K at the end of 2018. They weren't even close to hitting any of those goals.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
What EV's from Ford, GM, Audi, Chrysler/Fiat is Tesla competing with?

Again, you are making our point for us. The big automakers don't have anything to compete with Tesla.

However, all of Tesla's cars do effectively compete with fossil cars. And quite successfully, I might add. This has the fossil manufacturers running scared and it's going to hit them harder and faster than even they anticipate. Their announced EV offerings will be later to market than planned and have less range than anticipated. Meanwhile, offerings from Tesla will continue their incremental improvements.

The 2012 Tesla Model S is far more advanced than anything currently available from Audi, Jaguar, VW, Byd, etc., the most advanced EV makers are at least 7 years behind Tesla.

Then why did Musk say that there were on the conference call for Q2 17?

I used 400K because he said they had that many reservations. And what production demand mismatch? They stated they could do 10,000 vehicles a week by the end of 2018. It's not hard to figure out if each car has a battery and you're telling people you can make 10,000 a week, you'll need to have a supply of 10,000 batteries for that model. So any mismatch is squarely on the shoulders of someone who didn't do their job or lied about what was possible.
They were supposed to have 5K by the end of 2017 and 10K at the end of 2018. They weren't even close to hitting any of those goals.
How is it possible to lie about the future?
They made projections. They were late meeting their goals (they usually are).
What does any of this have to do with the fact that Model 3 is currently crushing all competition?

Reactions: EinSV
What does any of this have to do with the fact that Model 3 is currently crushing all competition?

It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Tesla is crushing the competition.

But it's the best thing LCR1 could come up with in his attempt to tarnish the reputation and amazing achievements of Tesla.

Again, you are making our point for us. The big automakers don't have anything to compete with Tesla.

However, all of Tesla's cars do effectively compete with fossil cars. And quite successfully, I might add. This has the fossil manufacturers running scared and it's going to hit them harder and faster than even they anticipate. Their announced EV offerings will be later to market than planned and have less range than anticipated. Meanwhile, offerings from Tesla will continue their incremental improvements.

The 2012 Tesla Model S is far more advanced than anything currently available from Audi, Jaguar, VW, Byd, etc., the most advanced EV makers are at least 7 years behind Tesla.
Then stop saying that they are crushing competition and posting random numbers if they aren't competing, it's that simple.

• Funny
It's possible to lie if someone knew they couldn't manufacture 10,000 packs a week and said they could build 10,000 cars.

So when Tesla constantly doesn't meet its goals it's fine. But when other automakers don't meet their goals it's the end of the world and they could never compete with tesla.

And none of the goals has anything to do with tesla and competition, because tesla is in competition with itself. Just because a company doesn't offer something to compete doesn't mean they are in competition. A BMW 3 series is not competition for a Tesla, one is an EV one is not.

A BMW 3 series is not competition for a Tesla, one is an EV one is not.

You can chop and dice the market segments any way you like. The fact of the matter is that Model 3 sales have been cutting into BMW 3 series sales. Not only can Tesla crush the EV competition, they are cutting deeply into sales of fossil cars. Every EV sold displaces exactly one fossil car.

I call them "fossil" cars for obvious reasons but also because they are archaic fossils.

Reactions: EinSV
I'm looking diesel to take on my road trips can tesla sell me one? no they can't but BMW and whoever else can. The same goes true for someone wanting an electric, BMW doesn't sell one but tesla does. Telsa makes sales because they have no competition, not because they are crushing it.

• Funny
Telsa makes sales because they have no competition, not because they are crushing it.

Tesla is competing against fossil cars because no one "needs" an EV. Yes, Tesla's are nicer than fossil cars in many ways, but no one "needs" it to be an EV.

To say they don't compete with fossil cars is ridiculous in the same way that your attempt to pretend like Tesla is not "crushing" it.