Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Is MotorTrend’s Best Compact Luxury Sedan Of 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is WAY too much going on with that interior for my tastes. One of the things I love about the 3 is its minimalist design

Same here... after driving the M3 for 4 months I have an aversion to all of those controls.

It's like this:
1618977189611.png

VS this:

1618977248865.png

At this point, I would assume the features a car has defines it as luxury. The Model 3 is just a cabin with a screen and some seats, so there's not really much "opulence" to be had. But, it's got every seat heated, the best infotainment, pano roof, and a great audio system. If it didn't have these things, I agree that it probably wouldn't be luxury, and probably would be more like a well-equipped Mazda 3.
The 2021 SR+ model doesn't have the rear seat heated anymore. The audio system has downgraded to 8 speakers. Tesla's infotainment system is unique. As for the pano roof, a lot of new models have it now, e.g. the Mustang Mach-E. Is the Mach-E a luxury car?
Personally, I don't care about the fancy equipments, as long as it is safe, drives well, and comfortable. It is a good car.

I think it's the second-best daily driver in automotive history, after the Model Y, at *ANY PRICE*.

I hate how Tesla is handling FSD, I really don't like the seats, and the lack of CarPlay/Android Auto annoys the hell out of me… but everything else is worse overall.

HOWEVER, it's not a luxury car in anything but price as far as I'm concerned.
It would be nice if there was smart air suspension for the 3 and MY, even if it was for a cost?

The one thing that bugs me most with Tesla is missing Customer service oriented people who will answer phones and emails, when you need to either speak with someone or communicate quickly with someone about an issue you have the with car?

Tesla does have a good lead against all other startups for efficiency and a lot of other firsts in EV's. That is what made me choose to buy one. But there is a definite lack of quality control that needs to be focused on. Too many vehicles are let out the door with numerous quality defects that should not be acceptable to the CEO of this rich company? The buyer should not have to go over their purchase on delivery day with a fine tooth comb and then have to make appointments to get things corrected? For the cost of these vehicles, they should be flawless!

Reactions: Pyre and Gizmo35
The one thing that bugs me most with Tesla is missing Customer service oriented people who will answer phones and emails, when you need to either speak with someone or communicate quickly with someone about an issue you have the with car?

But there is a definite lack of quality control that needs to be focused on. Too many vehicles are let out the door with numerous quality defects that should not be acceptable to the CEO of this rich company? The buyer should not have to go over their purchase on delivery day with a fine tooth comb and then have to make appointments to get things corrected? For the cost of these vehicles, they should be flawless!
Agreed. Tech is great but service really lacking and paint is terribly thin and crap overall. Axle clicking, window regulator rattling, trim problems: all repeat offenders with zero solution to remedy from service. Tech is great - everything else lacking for the $. (factory forgot to install door sill on my 2020!)

Since Porsche now offers the RWD version on price point with Model S - a Taycan has been ordered and is on it's way to me.

Im coming from a 2020 Ram Limited.... after the test drive it is a downgrade. But i miss my Golf R, i hate 12mpg and i like free money back from rebates. Oh, i was also offered $3.8k more than what I bought the truck for after 6 months and 9k miles.

View attachment 655530View attachment 655531
Way too busy dash, which also looks very plasticky and cheap. especially that center console monstrosIty. I think the Shuttle cockpit had less switches and buttons. No thank you.

Way too busy dash, which also looks very plasticky and cheap. especially that center console monstrosIty.

Before you attempt to comment on "plasticky and cheap," go sit in one. Every material (other than faux wood on the steering wheel and console lid covers) I would say is higher quality than what is in the two model 3s i drove.

That is why I am hesitant to make the switch to M3P unless i have really good incentives. Not concerned about truck to car or room, its almost solely a quality issue short of financial benefits

Before you attempt to comment on "plasticky and cheap," go sit in one. Every material (other than faux wood on the steering wheel and console lid covers) I would say is higher quality than what is in the two model 3s i drove.

That is why I am hesitant to make the switch to M3P unless i have really good incentives. Not concerned about truck to car or room, its almost solely a quality issue short of financial benefits

Went from a Cadillac to a Tesla, zero regrets. Drivetrain more than makes up for what the interior lacks (busyness mostly).

Tim

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
So I just casually jumped on the web and Taycan forums looking for user complaints. Well that wasn't hard to find. The Taycan puts Tesla to shame with the number of problems being experienced. They also had a recall for 'loose suspension parts'.

No vehicle is perfect, but I see the praise for these other brands as if they're some 'pinnacle of quality' when they're far from it. For me, quality is much more than simply a nice interior or paint job.

Last edited:
I completely agree with their top-2 rankings. When I first heard about the Genesis competing with the luxury Euro brands, I laughed it off. Then I drove one. It's mind blowing how far they've come. If it weren't for the Model 3, I would be ordering a G70.