Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 is the most American-made car, new study says

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3 is the most American-made car, new study says
Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 10.54.45 AM.png

How did they calculate a difference between the 3 and Y? And how was that difference great enough for a Mustang to squeeze in? Curious that even the "full report" makes no mention of how they determine the rankings other than "gut feel".

P.S. Model S or X were excluded from the list since none were produced in 2021.

How did they calculate a difference between the 3 and Y? And how was that difference great enough for a Mustang to squeeze in? Curious that even the "full report" makes no mention of how they determine the rankings other than "gut feel".
"...the 2021 study ranks 90 vehicles through the same five major criteria: assembly location, parts content, engine origins, transmission origins and U.S. manufacturing workforce."

Taken from: https://www.cars.com/articles/2021-...ndex-which-cars-are-the-most-american-437020/

They go into every detail you could want to know about their methodology in that post.

• Informative
Reactions: house9

P.S. Model S or X were excluded from the list since none were produced in 2021.
I was also surprised that there was enough of a difference for the Mustang to sneak in between the 3 and the Y. I wonder what additional components/parts/etc the Y has that might not be made domestically that set it slightly further back from the 3?

Taken from: https://www.cars.com/articles/2021-...ndex-which-cars-are-the-most-american-437020/

They go into every detail you could want to know about their methodology in that post.

Actually they don't mention any details whatsoever. This is the only useful quote from that page:
"we don’t reveal the weighting and calculation methodology"
In other words, the ranking is based on "gut feel", presumably from the rearmost portions of their guts. I'm not arguing that the Mexican-made Tesla isn't likely the most American-ish car in the world, but it's worth pointing out that the article/survey/analysis/whatever is just clickbait garbage with little supporting substance.

Last edited:
Don't manufacturers have to list foreign made percentage. I mean, BMW has it on stickers if like 80% is made in Germany, or US or whatever?!?!

There should be no mystery...but here in the US...cars, food makers etc..are allowed to obfuscate the origin of nearly everything, part of the Apple syndrome I call it. Everybody wants/loves and iPhone and their products, they sell billions of dollars worth of products...yet the dirty secret of terrible working conditions at Chinese plants etc...nobody ever wants to talk about...but I want a new iPhone..who cares about these people!

Not saying this with cars or Tesla per se...but a manufacturer knows exactly where everything is made, the breakdown of percentages etc...so who really knows unless they disclose it all.

This is nice to know, but are they just considering the location where the car is assembled or are they also considering the locations where all parts are sourced? Years ago (2011), Volvo used to document not only the country where their cars are assembled but also what percent of parts came from various countries. That info was posted on the paperwork attached to the rear window.

Actually they don't mention any details whatsoever. This is the only useful quote from that page:

In other words, the ranking is based on "gut feel", presumably from the rearmost portions of their guts. I'm not arguing that the Mexican-made Tesla isn't likely the most American-ish car in the world, but it's worth pointing out that the article/survey/analysis/whatever is just clickbait garbage with little supporting substance.
You cherry picked the quote and left off relevant portions. What it actually says is…

While we don’t reveal the weighting and calculation methodology, all five factors above play a significant role, as do a number of disqualifiers we’ll break out below. Models are ranked on a 100-point scale, with heavier curb weights functioning as a tiebreaker when necessary.

Want a closer look at each component? Read on.

The only thing they don’t detail are the specific weights in their formula, but they do cover every factor and in some detail.

Super awesome that the 1st new car I buy (this weekend!) will be American. And the MOST American at that. I also like what Ford is doing and am hopeful for GM (FCA will always make Jeeps, I guess?). An exciting time to see EVs not only revolutionizing the driving experience, but also shaking up the automotive industry in such a promising way for US companies.

(moderator note: This is a request to keep the discussion on the thread topic. Threads of this type usually end up being very nationalistic, or turn into xenophobia. I am likely going to be fairly aggressive to remove posts that look like either to me. There are already posts I feel are borderline but will leave because I did not post a specific warning. So, here is the warning / notice.)

• Love
Reactions: id436eg9045