Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Is The Most Efficient Electric Car On Highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If only Tesla advertised how those advantages are what makes these cars the best out there, well the competition would have to work much harder. But the last thing they need right now is more orders...
And this is just efficiency. Nothing about ease of use!

My Spark EV is more efficient than my RWD 3. On my 25 mile highway commute, I've been able to get under 150wh/mi on the Spark. Only 190wh/mi on the 3 under similar conditions.

dzOnnPU.jpg tNzEPRL.jpg

Yes, you lose something on the vampire drain, but unless you are focussed on "how much i spend on electricity", you realize that the most important thing is: how far i can go with a charge? wich is the MOST important thing in highway since more efficency means less time at supercharger with the same amount of charge

Reactions: MXWing
True. I feel a lot of the efficiency gains are lost through vampire drain. With the latest software updates, it seems to have improved significantly to the point where I lose maybe 1-2 miles overnight. But every once in a while, I will wake up to 10+ miles lost overnight.

I believe "vampire drain" is the price you pay for an EV that will outlast most other EVs. Battery management costs a little bit of electricity, but likely results in a battery back that will retain 90+% of it's range after 300K-500K miles. Well worth it, IMHO. The Leaf has little to no vampire drain... and very little longevity as a result.

I believe "vampire drain" is the price you pay for an EV that will outlast most other EVs.
I really doubt any connection but we'll know for sure as summer passes or Tesla fixes the vampire drain.
For now I can say with some confidence that my drain is about the same the same day I commute or during the days that the car sits at average ambient in the high 70s F.

I keep waiting for a head to head between the Bolt and the Model 3 at 75 mph.
I know the Bolt people have given up any pretense at being a Model 3 competitor but Americans need to be educated to the difference between 'EPA range' and normative driving range on the highway.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I believe "vampire drain" is the price you pay for an EV that will outlast most other EVs. Battery management costs a little bit of electricity, but likely results in a battery back that will retain 90+% of it's range after 300K-500K miles. Well worth it, IMHO. The Leaf has little to no vampire drain... and very little longevity as a result.
Ask former and current i3 owners about vampire drain. It simply doesn't exist and their BMS is excellent. Don't get me wrong, the 3 is superior in almost every way, I just wish Tesla would get vampire drain in order. It makes parking at airports for trips longer than a few days a stress event. I'd a "coma" sleep option if one existed - e.g. only opens with BT connection.

Ask former and current i3 owners about vampire drain. It simply doesn't exist and their BMS is excellent. Don't get me wrong, the 3 is superior in almost every way, I just wish Tesla would get vampire drain in order. It makes parking at airports for trips longer than a few days a stress event. I'd a "coma" sleep option if one existed - e.g. only opens with BT connection.

I have an i3 and never paid much attention to vampire drain, but I can say that I went-away last year for two weeks with the car unplugged and sitting at 50% charge. When I got home, the car was still at (or very near) 50%.

I have an i3 and never paid much attention to vampire drain, but I can say that I went-away last year for two weeks with the car unplugged and sitting at 50% charge. When I got home, the car was still at (or very near) 50%.
I often travel overseas for work. I can't remember a trip I took (up to 2 weeks) where my i3 wasn't sitting on exactly the same % battery as when I left it. I no longer park with my Tesla for same trips. The vampire drain is crazy over 7-10 days. The price you pay.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I often travel overseas for work. I can't remember a trip I took (up to 2 weeks) where my i3 wasn't sitting on exactly the same % battery as when I left it. I no longer park with my Tesla for same trips. The vampire drain is crazy over 7-10 days. The price you pay.
It would be nice if there was a way to completely shut down the car when not in use for an extended period of time.