TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 Is The Most Efficient Electric Car On Highways

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chronopc, Aug 20, 2018.

1. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  2. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

If only Tesla advertised how those advantages are what makes these cars the best out there, well the competition would have to work much harder. But the last thing they need right now is more orders...
    And this is just efficiency. Nothing about ease of use!

3. boriszima

boriszima Member

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. fr100

fr100 Member

My Spark EV is more efficient than my RWD 3. On my 25 mile highway commute, I've been able to get under 150wh/mi on the Spark. Only 190wh/mi on the 3 under similar conditions.

dzOnnPU.jpg tNzEPRL.jpg

• Informative x 4
  5. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

So...how does Vampire Drain factor into overall "efficiency"?

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

It’s possible that they may have only tested cars that can go a minimum distance.

• Funny x 1
  7. fr100

fr100 Member

True. I feel a lot of the efficiency gains are lost through vampire drain. With the latest software updates, it seems to have improved significantly to the point where I lose maybe 1-2 miles overnight. But every once in a while, I will wake up to 10+ miles lost overnight.

• Like x 2
  8. cronosx

cronosx Member

Yes, you lose something on the vampire drain, but unless you are focussed on "how much i spend on electricity", you realize that the most important thing is: how far i can go with a charge? wich is the MOST important thing in highway since more efficency means less time at supercharger with the same amount of charge

• Like x 1
  9. sreams

sreams Member

I believe "vampire drain" is the price you pay for an EV that will outlast most other EVs. Battery management costs a little bit of electricity, but likely results in a battery back that will retain 90+% of it's range after 300K-500K miles. Well worth it, IMHO. The Leaf has little to no vampire drain... and very little longevity as a result.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I really doubt any connection but we'll know for sure as summer passes or Tesla fixes the vampire drain.
    For now I can say with some confidence that my drain is about the same the same day I commute or during the days that the car sits at average ambient in the high 70s F.

11. SageBrush

I keep waiting for a head to head between the Bolt and the Model 3 at 75 mph.
    I know the Bolt people have given up any pretense at being a Model 3 competitor but Americans need to be educated to the difference between 'EPA range' and normative driving range on the highway.

• Like x 1
  12. MacGreiner

Ask former and current i3 owners about vampire drain. It simply doesn't exist and their BMS is excellent. Don't get me wrong, the 3 is superior in almost every way, I just wish Tesla would get vampire drain in order. It makes parking at airports for trips longer than a few days a stress event. I'd a "coma" sleep option if one existed - e.g. only opens with BT connection.

• Like x 2
  13. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I have an i3 and never paid much attention to vampire drain, but I can say that I went-away last year for two weeks with the car unplugged and sitting at 50% charge. When I got home, the car was still at (or very near) 50%.

• Informative x 4
  14. MacGreiner

I often travel overseas for work. I can't remember a trip I took (up to 2 weeks) where my i3 wasn't sitting on exactly the same % battery as when I left it. I no longer park with my Tesla for same trips. The vampire drain is crazy over 7-10 days. The price you pay.

• Informative x 1
  15. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

Here is a 75 mph Bolt video:

Which is inline with this: Instrumented Test Of Chevrolet Bolt - 190 Miles Of Range At Steady 75 MPH

16. SageBrush

#16 SageBrush, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Too many unaccounted for variables.

This is the test I want:
    A->B->A
    Both cars at the same time.

17. toddklaus

toddklaus Member

How much battery degradation after 200,000 miles?

• Funny x 1
  18. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

It would be nice if there was a way to completely shut down the car when not in use for an extended period of time.

• Like x 3
  19. SageBrush

I think it does quite well. It is the rest of the car you have to worry about.

20. MacGreiner

4% after 70k was the only thing I could find.

• Informative x 1