Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Long Range Test Proves 350-Mile Range Is Possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
According to Consumer Reports, the Model 3 exceeds its EPA-estimated range by plenty. According to the EPA’s estimate, the Tesla Model 3 Long Range has a range of 310 miles (2020 Model 3 is actually now rated at 330 miles). However, as we previously shared, CEO Elon Musk referenced range during the company’s Q4 2019...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/02/24/tesla-model-3-range-test-350-miles/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

I think that Consumer Reports test is just referencing their LR RWD testing from 18 months to 2 years ago. We know that beast can be pretty darn efficient. And would likely be even better now. But it isn't really an indicator of what an AWD can or cannot do.

IMG_6702.png

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Strange, I need to change my driving habits because my LR RWD Model 3 is getting 305-312 miles with the Aero caps off (275-281 @ 90% rarely charge to 100%).

I drive traffic speeds in the morning, 24 miles at about 30 miles per hour (clogged with carpool violators).

In the evenings my commute is 10 miles @ 10-30 mph and the last 14 miles is 60-70 mph (carpool opens up).

Largely one pedal driving. Chill acceleration. Cruise control when I can. Zero autopilot miles, didn't pay for it.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Strange, I need to change my driving habits because my LR RWD Model 3 is getting 305-312 miles with the Aero caps off (275-281 @ 90% rarely charge to 100%).

I drive traffic speeds in the morning, 24 miles at about 30 miles per hour (clogged with carpool violators).

In the evenings my commute is 10 miles @ 10-30 mph and the last 14 miles is 60-70 mph (carpool opens up).

Largely one pedal driving. Chill acceleration. Cruise control when I can. Zero autopilot miles, didn't pay for it.

Just turn off the heat, AC, and fan. Then you should be good.

Ever since the EPA ratings were revised to be more realistic (read: conservative) in 2008, it's always been possible to exceed them if you drive carefully. EPA ratings got even more conservative in 2017 - https://www.cars.com/articles/epa-recalculates-mpg-ratings-for-2017-1420690830380/ - making it even easier to exceed them.

So it's no surprise at all that a Tesla, like any other vehicle, can exceed the EPA ratings if you're careful.

Ever since the EPA ratings were revised to be more realistic (read: conservative) in 2008, it's always been possible to exceed them if you drive carefully. EPA ratings got even more conservative in 2017 - https://www.cars.com/articles/epa-recalculates-mpg-ratings-for-2017-1420690830380/ - making it even easier to exceed them.

So it's no surprise at all that a Tesla, like any other vehicle, can exceed the EPA ratings if you're careful.

I believe this is true regarding ICE vehicles but with a Telsa it sadly is not. The EPA rating is not realistic.
Not saying you cannot achieve or even better the rating at times but you need more care and fortunate conditions to do so.

I believe this is true regarding ICE vehicles but with a Telsa it sadly is not. The EPA rating is not realistic.
Not saying you cannot achieve or even better the rating at times but you need more care and fortunate conditions to do so.

The EPA rating for my LR RWD is 234 Wh/m. My lifetime average is 238 after 20k miles. I can easily exceed it in warm weather in spring and fall.

• Funny
The EPA rating for my LR RWD is 234 Wh/m. My lifetime average is 238 after 20k miles. I can easily exceed it in warm weather in spring and fall.

Yup. With that lifetime efficiency, if you had a battery with no capacity loss (like CR probably did when they did this range test), you would hit 332 miles to completely empty (shutdown).

So this 350 mile result CR got two years ago is completely reasonable. I guess this information from 2 years ago is news because Elon mentioned it again. ;) I would guess that same CR vehicle would get 325 to 335 miles now, depending on how much software has improved efficiency, and how much capacity loss their vehicle has. Would be interesting for them to publish that data (efficiency on the same course, etc.).

Last edited:
Yep.

My lifetime average is ~ 200 Wh/mile and I routinely see ~ 200 Wh/mile in low speed, in town driving in moderate weather when I swap to my OEM tyres. OTOH, highway driving at 75 mph with winter tyres has been 275 Wh/mile.

EPA rating can definitely be exceeded, but the methods for exceeding it are very different than ICE.

For ICE - do the speed limit in moderate weather on a highway with low traffic and you'll beat it.

For electric - drive on a lower-speed but not stop-and-go road. EPA rating on a Chevy Bolt, for example, is about 3.8-3.9 miles per kWh.

In winter in upstate NY with most of my commute at 55+ mph, I'm barely hitting 3.0

A Bolt owner hit over 5.0 driving the Big Sur Coast - which had speeds in the roughly 40 mph range the entire way.

It would be nice! I have never had my LR AWD M3 charge to even its rated 310 mile level, and I have only seen it charge to a level over 300 mile three times early on. At 10,000 miles I had seen 9% degradation.

I took delivery of my LR AWD M3 last Nov (2019) and I have never been able to charge it over 306 miles, is this normal ?? Is this all I should expect given that the WLTP rating is 348 miles. Are there any LR AWD M3 owners who can charge their cars over 307 miles ?? Of course actual range is another issue, here I'm talking only of the maximum level that the battery will charge to.

I took delivery of my 2019 M3 LR AWD on 24 August. I've only charged it up to 100% once so far and it's right at 310. I've attached the image from that complete charge. Not sure when I'll be able to see if it gets to that or close to that since it doesn't look like I'll be traveling very much anytime soon.

Attachments

• 30AUG2019_TM3_Charge_310miles.jpg
    30AUG2019_TM3_Charge_310miles.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 83
I can attest to the fact the the lr rwd can easily do better than epa ratings. My life time average is 229wh/mi over 22k miles. that includes harsh winters with long road trips (I've taken several 2k miles round trip road trips in the worst of winter conditions). During the spring and the summer I average below 220 wh/mi. I go the speed of traffic, but I don't have a lead foot.

Reactions: jdcollins5