Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 mishap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So long story short, I was on my way back from the mountain and miscalculated a left turn which sent me down a steep slope where my car met a little pole. Airbags blew regardless and my car lost power which I'm assuming is the pyrofuse doing it's thing. The car was insured with liability only. When I tried to get insurance for it, they said they couldn't find my vin so they provided me with liability. Insurance isn't helping with anything at this point and I have a vehicle that I can no longer drive. Damage was very minimal too but I know its a total loss in teslas eyes. My question is, does anyone know where I can get a model 3 pyrofuse?? I just need to know that the car can be started and running before I pull the trigger and start ordering parts from various sources. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you all for all this info! And damage is very minimal, I already took the car apart and assessed the damage. This isn't my first time fixing a motorized vehicle but it is my first time fixing an electric vehicle. Tesla making it very hard to buy parts so I'm just trying to figure out if its truth or myth.

Truth, Tesla makes it difficult to work on your own car. If you have been in an Airbags deployed level event then you have some significant repair to do, and Tesla may try to force you to get it inspected through them. I know if a car gets a Salvage title, they will not sell you parts until you bring it to them and they sign off that its safe to operate again.

Not sure where you'd get a new Pyro fuse honestly, but good luck figuring it out. Might check in with Rich Rebuilds on Youtube, as he has been very helpful forging a path to get parts for our cars when Tesla says no.
I can imagine that the service center might not want you to do this work yourself, I mean we are talking about significant power potential, and high voltage DC which can arc a pretty good length is the right conditions.

The car isn't salvage title. Nor should it be labeled as that. I have no clue why I got smacked in the face by the bag from such a light hit. Ive seen a guy on instagram @teslamotive that fixed that one gray model 3 that he bought at salvage auction. Mine doesn't come anywhere close as damaged to his and he was able to fix it within a couple weeks and send it on its way. Im just having a tough time gathering the required info because the car is so new and no one is willing to share info with me who have done the rebuilds. I understand that this is a business and sharing info on how to fix the "unfixable" is priceless but im not looking to profit off of this in anyway. Just trying to fix my personal car.

Truth, Tesla makes it difficult to work on your own car. If you have been in an Airbags deployed level event then you have some significant repair to do, and Tesla may try to force you to get it inspected through them. I know if a car gets a Salvage title, they will not sell you parts until you bring it to them and they sign off that its safe to operate again.

Not sure where you'd get a new Pyro fuse honestly, but good luck figuring it out. Might check in with Rich Rebuilds on Youtube, as he has been very helpful forging a path to get parts for our cars when Tesla says no.
I can imagine that the service center might not want you to do this work yourself, I mean we are talking about significant power potential, and high voltage DC which can arc a pretty good length is the right conditions.
Ive been repairing electronics since I was a little kid. Now as I got older I've amassed a whole lab of testing equipment so im pretty acquainted with high voltage equipment. I did get in contact with Rich. Had a little convo but no information was given out.

If the airbags went off, I’d be very concerned about what comes next.

it’s entirely possible you’ll need to replace the SRS controller - those typically set permanent deployment codes. Also seatbelt tensioners and the seatbelts themselves.

I feel for you; we had a deer hit that did $21k in damage to our Enclave. Even minor stuff can be major ....