Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3: No drill option license plate bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone that has done front/full PPF, did you put a front license plate holder on with adhesive tape?

Would that pose problems with sticking on the film (i.e. won’t stick on film as well as it would on he bumper)? Or would sticking the holder on the film perhaps put pressure on the film and lift it away from the bumper surface?

• Informative
Reactions: akidesir
Awesome, thanks. Post some pics when you receive it.

The other brackets such as the Law and the Bandit are way too overpriced for what they are. This one looks like it functions closer to the Law at around half the price. Still a lot for a bracket but less in the grander scheme of things.
Finally, found the time to take some photo after installation.
DSCF0147.JPG DSCF0150.JPG DSCF0151.JPG 20180622_175616.jpg

Nice! Looks great! I bought the same mount (Bozzmount) and had it delivered before picking up my Model 3, but Tesla had already put on the mount that comes with the car. I'm getting Tesla to remove it, just so I don't ruin the paint (plus I asked on multiple occasions for them to leave it off) before I put my mount on.

Notice any differences with it on vs without?

Nice! Looks great! I bought the same mount (Bozzmount) and had it delivered before picking up my Model 3, but Tesla had already put on the mount that comes with the car. I'm getting Tesla to remove it, just so I don't ruin the paint (plus I asked on multiple occasions for them to leave it off) before I put my mount on.

Notice any differences with it on vs without?
It happened to me too. Tesla won't delivery the car without the front license plate on regardless any requests.
I ended up to let the PPF installer to remove it for me before PPF installation. According to Tesla, you can use heat gun or hair dryer to warm up the edages of plate mount bracket to remove it that way it will not cause any paint damage. Obviously, without the front license plate on will look better. However, I settle for the second best.

Does it use just one anchor? I only see one in the picture. I wonder if it gets in the way of the cooling vents for the battery - have you noticed any cooling issues?
I can't see this causing cooling issues, the part of the vents that are blocked will just get bypassed...ie, the airflow volume wont be affected, so the cooling capacity wont be altered I think.

On another note, it is cheap, but the auction says you have to use the Tesla supplied front license holder, so effectively you are paying $13 USD + $11 shipping, so ~ $31 CAD for basically two lag bolts plus anchor clips? Why not just stop by Home Depot and buy them separately, can't see them costing more than $5.....

upload_2018-10-10_15-27-16.png

Also, it looks like it will basically 'squeeze' the plate holder against the front lip of the car. Not sure what that would do to the paint over time. I guess you could add a cushion behind it, but this solution isn't for me after looking closer at its design.

Why not just stop by Home Depot and buy them separately, can't see them costing more than $5.....
View attachment 342591
Also, it looks like it will basically 'squeeze' the plate holder against the front lip of the car. Not sure what that would do to the paint over time. I guess you could add a cushion behind it, but this solution isn't for me after looking closer at its design.

Smart use of the OEM plate holder. Some 3M Tape with the backing still on it should be okay to cushion against the rub. As for air flow issue - I have the bozzmount and no issues yet. It just forces the air around the plate at a higher velocity (maybe a slight increase to drag).

I can't see this causing cooling issues, the part of the vents that are blocked will just get bypassed...ie, the airflow volume wont be affected, so the cooling capacity wont be altered I think.

On another note, it is cheap, but the auction says you have to use the Tesla supplied front license holder, so effectively you are paying $13 USD + $11 shipping, so ~ $31 CAD for basically two lag bolts plus anchor clips? Why not just stop by Home Depot and buy them separately, can't see them costing more than $5.....

View attachment 342591

These are made out of stainless steel. You wont be able to find them in local hardware store. You need stainless stell otherwise it will rust especially in northern climates.

I went the budget route, think it cost me $2.50 CAD at Home Depot. My car is wrapped and I put a little weather stripping foam on the back of the plate holder so its nicely cushioned. I didn't consider rust but I'll give them a shot of spray paint and that will sort that out. They is very minimal blockage of the air flow. It's not that hot where I live so I don't see any issue.

I went the budget route, think it cost me $2.50 CAD at Home Depot. My car is wrapped and I put a little weather stripping foam on the back of the plate holder so its nicely cushioned. I didn't consider rust but I'll give them a shot of spray paint and that will sort that out. They is very minimal blockage of the air flow. It's not that hot where I live so I don't see any issue.
Paint would only protect so much, stainless steel is the way to go IMO, Paint is a surface treatment but stainless steel is steel with chromium added at the time of material manufacture so it is more durable against road salt and other abrasive chemicals present in the road.

For this reason, tail pipe ends in ICE cars are not made out of steel anymore, they use stainless steel.

Last edited:
Paint would only protect so much, stainless steel is the way to go IMO, Paint is a surface treatment but stainless steel is steel with chromium added at the time of material manufacture so it is more durable against road salt and other abrasive chemicals present in the road.

For this reason, tail pipe ends in ICE cars are not made out of steel anymore, they use stainless steel.

Not arguing that stainless steel wouldn't better but you can buy a new set every year for 10 years and still have money in your pocket. It's a toggle bolt that know one will ever see. It will give you far more security of the plate staying on than the sticky tape every will. I see no justification to spend $30 and have something shipped when you can walk into any home depot and pick up a set.

These are made out of stainless steel. You wont be able to find them in local hardware store. You need stainless stell otherwise it will rust especially in northern climates.
Ummmm, those bolts in the pic on the auction definitely aren't stainless steel....unless its a lighting trick those are already rusted. I agree that the clips are not rusted. I'm sure you can find some coated ones on McMaster Carr if need be, but then you'll get a pack of 10 or more....maybe people should do a group buy and split them :)

What size toggle bolts did you use?

For anyone that has done front/full PPF, did you put a front license plate holder on with adhesive tape?

Would that pose problems with sticking on the film (i.e. won’t stick on film as well as it would on he bumper)? Or would sticking the holder on the film perhaps put pressure on the film and lift it away from the bumper surface?

I had full frontal PPF. The shop used the same tape as Tesla to secure the front plate holder (3M VHB 5952). They re-applied the tape, and secured it over the PPF. It's been solid for about a month now....it doesn't feel like it's going to go anywhere. You can get small quantities from CanadianTire in the autobody section.

Reactions: oakvillemike