Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 On Supercharger V3: Here Are The Charging Specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Model 3 can replenish more than 10 miles of range in one minute The Tesla Model 3 is the first production electric car to be able charge at up to 250 kW using V3 Superchargers recently introduced by Tesla. One of the owners recently tested the V3 Supercharging and according to his report on reddit,...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/04/01/tesla-model-3-supercharger-v3-charging-specs/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Having no sharing between stalls is very surprising. The chances of 4 model 3 all drawing 250kw at the same time is close to zero and when it does happen you’re paying a bunch of extra demand charges to the utility. I guess they’re planning on have cars that can do sustained 250kw charging in the future. The pickup is going to need a monster battery to be practical so that might be it.

• 9% – 50% = 12 minutes (average of 10.6 miles/minute or 636 mph)
  • 9% – 60% = 15 minutes (average of 10.5 miles/minute or 632 mph)

The first interval is 0.41*325*5 = 666 miles charge per hour equivalent
The second interval is 0.51*325*4 = 663 miles charge per hour equivalent

Either there is very little taper from 50% - 60% or an error is present. Charging has gotten too fast to only be reported in minutes. We need seconds!

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Having no sharing between stalls is very surprising. The chances of 4 model 3 all drawing 250kw at the same time is close to zero and when it does happen you’re paying a bunch of extra demand charges to the utility. I guess they’re planning on have cars that can do sustained 250kw charging in the future. The pickup is going to need a monster battery to be practical so that might be it.
The V3 spec allows for battery storage. Tesla is well aware of the demand charges issue.

Very small nit: "previously two stalls shared 120 kW of power)" should be closer to "previously two stalls shared 145 kW of power)"; someone double check my correction since this is from memory from years ago.

In theory, yes. In reality it is often even less than 120 kW. I have noticed this at busy supercharger sites. When a site is heavily used the total output between two stalls is often less than 120. Recent example was a site where every stall was in use. I looked at the charge rate of my car and the one that was charging at the shared stall. Combined it was always below 100 kW. As my battery filled up and drew less power, the other car got more but at all times it was never more than 100 kW. I have seen the same behavior at several sites.

I believe it is done on purpose that they have more stalls than total power. For the most part supercharger sites are not fully occupied and enough power is available to feed all cars full power. When the sites gets full everyone might get less than they could but that's still better than having fewer stalls and people waiting in line. It is a much better user experience to be able to plug in and do other things than having to wait in their cars.

I think Supercharger V3 will work similar. While peak power is available at every stall, the entire site will most likely not be able to provide 250 kW at all stalls when all stalls are in use simultaneously.

Well, this will be very nice.

Yesterday evening, I went to the Buena Park, CA store/supercharger. There was only 1 Model X actively charging.

I was about 25% charged. The first charger station charged at 28 amps. After 10 minutes, I tried another - it charged at 18 Amps, so I tried a third one - it started out at 80 Amps, dropped to 60 Amps when I was about 45% charged.

Sounds like they have some maintenance to do. I reported it this morning.

PS: About a week ago, while charging at the normal rate, it went to 384 Amps for about 15 minutes! and then dropped back to the normal rate.