Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 PCS replacement [Salvage model 3]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla fans. Recently I bought a salvage Tesla Model 3. The car had a bad PCS and I have replaced it with another one. Sadly the battery won't charge because of "Incompatible software versions" error. Any idea how to sort this?

Attachments

• 20210921_160137[1].jpg
    20210921_160137[1].jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 517
  • 20210924_192746[1].jpg
    20210924_192746[1].jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 186
What software version does the car have? You can probably fix it by doing software update, which would cause all components of the car to sync up. If you can get access to the Diagnostics Mode in the car, you can reinstall the same software update you currently have. There was a software version with a "bug" allowing you to access Diagnostics Mode by using the "dynotest" command.

Thank you for the reply android04. The current software version is v9.0. I was told NOT to update, because later versions do not allow rooting if I have to go that way. But even if I wanted, the car will not update anyway. It is connected ti WiFi, but will not download the update.

Attachments

• 20210929_091237[1].jpg
    20210929_091237[1].jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 195
Thank you for the reply android04. The current software version is v9.0. I was told NOT to update, because later versions do not allow rooting if I have to go that way. But even if I wanted, the car will not update anyway. It is connected ti WiFi, but will not download the update.

Your software is too old to update.

Tesla changed the security around updates in 2019... if you stayed on old SW you'd lose the ability to update furhter.

Tesla said:
The Tesla network is undergoing enhancements for increased security. In order to maintain compatibility with and access to connected vehicle features, this vehicle requires a software update to at least version 2019.40.2.3. If not updated prior to 1-May-2020, this vehicle may no longer be able to receive over-the-air software updates, access the Tesla Mobile App & associated features, utilize voice commands, receive streaming media content, and other connectivity dependent features may be impacted. Please install the available software update by selecting the yellow clock icon and choosing a convenient time. If you are persistently experiencing software update installation failures, please schedule a service appointment via Tesla Mobile App.

Officially, only Tesla can help you on updating now. Which on a salvage title... best of luck.

Unofficially some of the hacker folks like Jason Hughes might be of some help.