Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Performance value at CarMax - appraisal lower than expected!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone I decided to appraise my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance....I took delivery December 22nd 2018, the car has exactly 7493 miles on it with pearl white exterior color, white leather interior fully loaded with enhanced autopilot.... the car price is $73,200 with destination doc fee included and my down payment of $35,000 and CarMax has appraised me with offering me ($47,000) WTF!!!...this can't be right I only had a car for 2 months with only 7,000 miles and the car is fully loaded performance and I'm losing ($23,700)??? Please tell me this is wrong?? If soo I'm furious!!! :mad::mad:

Attachments

• 20190223_172430.jpg
    20190223_172430.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 371
Carmax isn't exactly known to offer market value for a vehicle.
Right. You’re pretty much shoving a car in their face and being like “Take it off my hands RIGHT NOW, how much are you willing to give me?”

There’s a pretty sizable price penalty to pay for the convenience and instant process of a dealership trade-in. $47k on a $73k optioned car sounds about right, unfortunately. Just about every option is worth $0 in dealership trade-in appraisal, as much as the owner doesn’t like hearing that.

Did you get the $7500 tax credit and the $5000 trade for lifetime supercharging? That puts you at 60,700. Your losing 13,700 about 22%. Post it here with your price, lots of P owners want a 2nd, or LR, AWD that want to trade up. White/white is beautiful and looks like a spaceship.

Reactions: Halloween81
Options like ext color and int color are going to be a money loser as Tesla charged so much for them. So if someone to go out now to buy a new black M3P, it would start at under $61000. After tax credit, it would be around $57k not counting states incentive. $47k is low, but if you sell it privately, it will probably be around $52k/$54k max. Anything higher, people will consider getting a new one.

I don't think the math is that complicated. Most will assume $10k off the top for federal and state tax credits. Maybe your state does not offer anything, I don't know, but that amount comes off the price you paid obviously. Also, your car is available cheaper now -- did you take the $5k refund offer? If so then we are up to $15k. Add in the 10% depreciation kbecks mentions and you are at $22k -- pretty close to the number you are seeing.

Hello everyone I decided to appraise my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance....I took delivery December 22nd 2018, the car has exactly 7493 miles on it with pearl white exterior color, white leather interior fully loaded with enhanced autopilot.... the car price is $73,200 with destination doc fee included and my down payment of $35,000 and CarMax has appraised me with offering me ($47,000) WTF!!!...this can't be right I only had a car for 2 months with only 7,000 miles and the car is fully loaded performance and I'm losing ($23,700)??? Please tell me this is wrong?? If soo I'm furious!!! :mad::mad:

Are you selling it after the tire issue?

Why are you getting rid of it?

You should get the $5K refund (if you're entitled to it), and then use that money to get yourself new wheels and tires. Something that can handle cold weather and potholes.

You also have the $7500 tax credit and so you can't include that in any calculations.

In any case I wouldn't use Carmax for something so new, and so dependent on exact configuration.

If I was you I'd keep it, and then trade it in a Porsche Taycan. I'm guessing that Porsche will try to steal some customers from Tesla.