Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 plastidip door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more pic of vinyl chrome delete:
2019-06-06_11-11-18.jpg

This is excessive.

I've been using Plasti-dip for years and never had to use more than 3 coats. Prep the surface well and ensure that you mask off everything (the overspray can go all over the car). I use brushes and pressure washers on my vehicles and the plasti-dip survives. The only time I have issues is when I go on road trips and the bugs get all over the car, this causes wear spots when I go to clean them off.

It's not actually. Depending on where you live. I'm in Auburn, CA Extreme heat, extreme cold. Been driving my 2008 plati dipped Toyota 2008 Tundra for 7 years and it's finally all pealing off.

How long have you been driving your vehicle, with less layers and no pealing? Also, where do you live?

Thanks

It's not actually. Depending on where you live. I'm in Auburn, CA Extreme heat, extreme cold. Been driving my 2008 plati dipped Toyota 2008 Tundra for 7 years and it's finally all pealing off.

How long have you been driving your vehicle, with less layers and no pealing? Also, where do you live?

Thanks
I had one of my cars in Chicago for 2 years and 4 in FL. From one extreme to the next, no peeling during normal driving conditions.

I tries Plastidip on my handles, but was never satisfied with the finish or the feel of them. In the end I had them painted and they match the body color exactly and feel as they should.

I know MMMV, but how much did it cost to paint them? Did they peel the chrome or just paint over it?
I had them done as part of a de-chrome so I don't know how much the handles on their own would have cost, but to do it properly they have to be removed from the doors so it's quite a big job.
They painted over the chrome and I don't know if they keyed it in some way (assuming they must have done) but I'm very happy with the result.
The only downside is it's very difficult to see them in the dark :rolleyes:

I have not had good experience with PlastiDip on surfaces that are touched a lot by human hands, especially ones that you have to tug on them like the inside of a door handle. But even if it only lasts a year, it's not that big of a deal to respray every year.

Thanks for your insight. I was thinking that, if I notice extensive wear I'll take it off and redo, or do something else like vinyl. Based on my usage, I think only the driver door is the one I need to worry about with wear.