Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 plastidip door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to plastic dip chrome delete my Tesla. Thought it would be an inexpensive experiment to try. If it doesn't work out then I can just remove it all and turn it back to stock. I searched the forums and couldn't find anyone that plasti dipped the inside of the door handles. So I came up with a way to do it the suited me. Not sure if it's the best way or the correct way since I have nothing to compare to but hopefully this helps someone else attempting the same thing.

I basically wadded up a paper towel and shoved it into the corner of the door handle to push it out and then taped over it to hold it in place. Then just masked off the rest of the area. I did this after I already plasti dipped the outside, which in retrospect was a bad idea since after doing the inside there was a faint line where the tape covers up the front of the door handle so I had to respray the front after I was done with the inside. TLDR: spray the inside before you spray the outside.

Not sure how long this will last or where there might be rubbing issues. Since I just did this a few weeks ago.

In case anyone was wondering I used Anthracite Grey for my chrome delete since I thought it would match the wheels

IMG_20190523_190251.jpg IMG_20190523_190308.jpg IMG_20190523_190753.jpg IMG_20190523_190257.jpg IMG_20190523_190307.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: JBT66 and strykeroz
Yes, here you go. Looks like there's some rubbing on the bottom back half of the handle. I'll keep an eye on it to see how the overall handles hold hold up. I did do about 8 coats of dip as I wanted it to be durable

Attachments

• IMG_20190606_183800.jpg
    IMG_20190606_183800.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 1,161
  • IMG_20190606_183840.jpg
    IMG_20190606_183840.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 1,177
  • IMG_20190606_183823.jpg
    IMG_20190606_183823.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 1,146
  • IMG_20190606_183831.jpg
    IMG_20190606_183831.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 1,163
Thanks for posting. I have been thinking if doing this as well. I have midnight silver and got red vinyl for the T on hood and trunk which looks great but starting to peel.

Wanted to try plasti dip on the badges but afraid of over spray on the car surface.

Does it damage the paint at all ? Does it clean off easily ?

Can you describe the “feel” of the handles with the plasti dip? I have vinyl there as well but same as badges. Peeling.

Thanks for any help or tips. I like the look but don’t want to sacrifice my paint.

Best

Mike

Do you think this would help at all in the heat? The handles can get really hot to touch normally in the summer sun.

It often gets into the triple digits where I live, so if plasti-dip would help even slightly, that’d be great.

Thanks for posting. I have been thinking if doing this as well. I have midnight silver and got red vinyl for the T on hood and trunk which looks great but starting to peel.

Wanted to try plasti dip on the badges but afraid of over spray on the car surface.

Does it damage the paint at all ? Does it clean off easily ?

Can you describe the “feel” of the handles with the plasti dip? I have vinyl there as well but same as badges. Peeling.

Thanks for any help or tips. I like the look but don’t want to sacrifice my paint.

Best

Mike
You could also remove the emblems and then spray.

I would recommend 7 layers....

This is excessive.

I've been using Plasti-dip for years and never had to use more than 3 coats. Prep the surface well and ensure that you mask off everything (the overspray can go all over the car). I use brushes and pressure washers on my vehicles and the plasti-dip survives. The only time I have issues is when I go on road trips and the bugs get all over the car, this causes wear spots when I go to clean them off.

I decided to plastic dip chrome delete my Tesla. Thought it would be an inexpensive experiment to try. If it doesn't work out then I can just remove it all and turn it back to stock.

I've been thinking about doing this to my car (use Plasti-dip to chrome delete my car), but was stumped on how to do the mirrors so that the chrome didn't show when the mirrors were folded, or vice versa. Can you describe how you did that? And, are you seeing any wear in that area with the repeated folding and unfolding of the mirrors?

Thanks in advance!

Keith

I've been thinking about doing this to my car (use Plasti-dip to chrome delete my car), but was stumped on how to do the mirrors so that the chrome didn't show when the mirrors were folded, or vice versa. Can you describe how you did that? And, are you seeing any wear in that area with the repeated folding and unfolding of the mirrors?

Thanks in advance!

Keith
The chrome is at the bottom of the mirror, which is stationary...The mirror sits in a housing and pivots/turns when it needs to do so.

Long story short, when it's plasti-dipped, there shouldn't be any issue with it coming off of the area around the pivot point (after the initial separation).

Plasti-dip is really inexpensive, along with newspaper and about an hour of your time. Try it out and see how you like it. Worst case scenario is that you don't like it and decide to spend 2 mins peeling it off.

I'd also recommend buying a cheap "trigger gun," which can be obtained at any hardware store in the paint section. Makes using the plasti-dip, or any other spray paint type relatively easy on the hand.

The chrome is at the bottom of the mirror, which is stationary...The mirror sits in a housing and pivots/turns when it needs to do so.

Long story short, when it's plasti-dipped, there shouldn't be any issue with it coming off of the area around the pivot point (after the initial separation).

Plasti-dip is really inexpensive, along with newspaper and about an hour of your time. Try it out and see how you like it. Worst case scenario is that you don't like it and decide to spend 2 mins peeling it off.

I'd also recommend buying a cheap "trigger gun," which can be obtained at any hardware store in the paint section. Makes using the plasti-dip, or any other spray paint type relatively easy on the hand.

Thanks for the quick reply.....I've done plasti-dip before, with excellent results, so understand how all that works. Good idea on the "trigger gun", never thought about that.

So, no issues with the dip wearing off, which is good. I guess my question was more, should I plasti-dip with the mirrors folded, or not folded? Don't those two scenarios leave different pieces of the chrome exposed? So, if you did it one way, then touched up the other way, there would be a line.

Maybe I need to spend a bit of "me-time" with my car, folding and unfolding the mirrors.

Thanks for the quick reply.....I've done plasti-dip before, with excellent results, so understand how all that works. Good idea on the "trigger gun", never thought about that.

So, no issues with the dip wearing off, which is good. I guess my question was more, should I plasti-dip with the mirrors folded, or not folded? Don't those two scenarios leave different pieces of the chrome exposed? So, if you did it one way, then touched up the other way, there would be a line.

Maybe I need to spend a bit of "me-time" with my car, folding and unfolding the mirrors.
I would do it with the mirrors in the extended position (out).

I did it twice. The first time I did it I did it with mirrors unfolded and then a second time with mirrors folded to hit the hidden spots. There's no visible line that I can see and so far it's held up pretty good.IMG_20190606_183752.jpg IMG_20190606_183746.jpg

Interesting. I have a few cans of plastidip left over from when I blacked out the chrome on my S4, but I figured I wouldn't like the tactile feel of it on the door handle. I like the look of the chrome on my black 3, but damn if they don't attract smudges. I'm leaning toward vinyl wrapping. Is there plastidip with a smooth finish?