TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model 3: Prices, specs and release date

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dgindio, Oct 4, 2016.

1. dgindio

dgindio dgindio

Tesla Model 3: Prices, specs and release date | The Week UK
    This is an article that appeared in the UK publication The Week.

My Note: All of the dash photos I have seen are bare without any technical components such as a digital speedometer. I would like to see that inclusion vs looking 15 degrees to the right to see the mph on a dash screen. In California, you better not be looking at a Smart Phone and texting = a citation. As a retired Peace Officer, taking your vision focal point off the roadway to ascertain info off the digital desktop screen is a concern. The photo included is of a digital speedometer on my Chrysler 300S. If not included on the Model 3, will have to modify the dash to install one.

Tesla Model 3: Prices, specs and release date

Oct 4, 2016
    It's only had 'part one' of its reveal, but here's what we know about the company's most affordable EV yet
    Image 1 of10

[​IMG]

Credits
    Tesla

Attached Files:

2. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Do some deeper digging and the speculation is that there will a be a HUD (heads up display) or some sort of augmented reality so its right there. No need to look at the touch panel on the right.

3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

Nothing new there... just a rehash of what's already announced/revealed plus quotes/speculations from various blogs and news sites (and a few speculations of their own thrown in for good measure). Those photos have been widely circulated for months, including the interior shot of the prototype dash with the lone landscape 15" display, so that aspect shouldn't come as a surprise.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I am not aware of any legal requirement that cars have to have a speed indicator directly in front of the driver. It is simply conventional practice.

And I agree with @BluestarE3 there is nothing new in that article. So many publications are producing articles about the Model 3 just to get clicks even though Tesla has released no new information about the Model 3 since the reveal event many months ago.

5. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Is there a reason you're conflating texting with looking at the screen? Those seem like completely different things to me. While you can get a ticket for texting, you generally will not get a ticket for changing the temperature, radio dial, etc.

• Like x 1
  6. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

Anybody who has driven a mini cooper (or several other cars) knows you can have the speed readout in the center. They also know it's really a pain in the ass LOL! :p
    Model 3 better have at least a basic HUD w/speed and maybe battery %!

7. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I have a Prius Model V with the display in the center of the dashboard up by the glass. When I bought it I thought I would never get used to it. Much to my surprise now when I drive my wife's Acura RDX it drives me crazy to have to look down thru the steering wheel to see my speed and other dials. My point is that we often adapt to change much better and quicker than we expect. The same will hold true for the Model 3.

• Like x 5
  8. dgindio

dgindio dgindio

9. dgindio

dgindio dgindio

Your observation elicited a LOL and I thank U.

• Like x 1
  10. dgindio

dgindio dgindio

New to some members, dated for members like U and I.
    dg

11. dgindio

dgindio dgindio

12. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

13. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

No, not likely. Needs to be a planned event with more lead-time for something this important.

• Like x 1
  14. Neohippy

Neohippy Member

Pretty crazy they are releasing this car in less then a year and we haven't been shown a final design. Hard to believe also they can do adequate testing of a new product when none are built. Pretty much unheard of in the auto industry. I'm wondering how a trouble free car can be manufactured with little to no testing?

15. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

I agree with your statement --- additionally, we need to make sure there are enough drunk audience members in attendance in order to interrupt Elon's presentation. :rolleyes:

I cast my vote for a 'dry' product unveiling.

16. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

#16 BluestarE3, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    The same could be said of the Chevy Bolt EV... from concept car to production ready in just under two years, so there is precedent. And the Model 3 is scheduled for release at the end of 2017, so slightly over a year from now. Not under a year as you had stated.

17. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

I really think the event on the 17th has nothing to do with the 3. Elon wrote product "unveiling", which tells me it's something new and the "unexpected by most" hints it's something people have not talked about.
    So I'm calling Tesla van/truck or Tesla Y.

18. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

One wonders how someone would truly expect a new car that has been planned for over ten years to not be fully tested prior to its final release.

• Like x 4
  19. dsvick

dsvick Member

We'll see the final design at the second reveal, why is it crazy we haven't seen it yet? Most new cars aren't revealed until much closerto production, why should Tesla be any different.

Also, what makes you think they aren't going to do testing? They only finished the design a month or two ago, in all likelyhood they don't have a prototype to test yet.

• Like x 1
  20. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

How do you think that none are built? Yes, none have been shown to the public, but that says nothing about what they may have build behind closed doors and tested....