Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3: Prices, specs and release date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3: Prices, specs and release date | The Week UK
This is an article that appeared in the UK publication The Week.

My Note: All of the dash photos I have seen are bare without any technical components such as a digital speedometer. I would like to see that inclusion vs looking 15 degrees to the right to see the mph on a dash screen. In California, you better not be looking at a Smart Phone and texting = a citation. As a retired Peace Officer, taking your vision focal point off the roadway to ascertain info off the digital desktop screen is a concern. The photo included is of a digital speedometer on my Chrysler 300S. If not included on the Model 3, will have to modify the dash to install one.

Tesla Model 3: Prices, specs and release date

Oct 4, 2016
It's only had 'part one' of its reveal, but here's what we know about the company's most affordable EV yet
Image 1 of10

Credits
Tesla

Attachments

• DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER.jpg
    DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 155
Nothing new there... just a rehash of what's already announced/revealed plus quotes/speculations from various blogs and news sites (and a few speculations of their own thrown in for good measure). Those photos have been widely circulated for months, including the interior shot of the prototype dash with the lone landscape 15" display, so that aspect shouldn't come as a surprise.

My Note: All of the dash photos I have seen are bare without any technical components such as a digital speedometer. I would like to see that inclusion vs looking 15 degrees to the right to see the mph on a dash screen. In California, you better not be looking at a Smart Phone and texting = a citation. As a retired Peace Officer, taking your vision focal point off the roadway to ascertain info off the digital desktop screen is a concern. The photo included is of a digital speedometer on my Chrysler 300S. If not included on the Model 3, will have to modify the dash to install one.
I am not aware of any legal requirement that cars have to have a speed indicator directly in front of the driver. It is simply conventional practice.

And I agree with @BluestarE3 there is nothing new in that article. So many publications are producing articles about the Model 3 just to get clicks even though Tesla has released no new information about the Model 3 since the reveal event many months ago.

In California, you better not be looking at a Smart Phone and texting = a citation. As a retired Peace Officer, taking your vision focal point off the roadway to ascertain info off the digital desktop screen is a concern.

Is there a reason you're conflating texting with looking at the screen? Those seem like completely different things to me. While you can get a ticket for texting, you generally will not get a ticket for changing the temperature, radio dial, etc.

Reactions: jerjozwik
Anybody who has driven a mini cooper (or several other cars) knows you can have the speed readout in the center. They also know it's really a pain in the ass LOL! :p
Model 3 better have at least a basic HUD w/speed and maybe battery %!

I have a Prius Model V with the display in the center of the dashboard up by the glass. When I bought it I thought I would never get used to it. Much to my surprise now when I drive my wife's Acura RDX it drives me crazy to have to look down thru the steering wheel to see my speed and other dials. My point is that we often adapt to change much better and quicker than we expect. The same will hold true for the Model 3.

Nothing new there... just a rehash of what's already announced/revealed plus quotes/speculations from various blogs and news sites (and a few speculations of their own thrown in for good measure). Those photos have been widely circulated for months, including the interior shot of the prototype dash with the lone landscape 15" display, so that aspect shouldn't come as a surprise.
New to some members, dated for members like U and I.
dg

I don't expect a M≡ reveal on the 17th...do you?

Elon Musk on Twitter
Pretty crazy they are releasing this car in less then a year and we haven't been shown a final design. Hard to believe also they can do adequate testing of a new product when none are built. Pretty much unheard of in the auto industry. I'm wondering how a trouble free car can be manufactured with little to no testing?

Pretty crazy they are releasing this car in less then a year and we haven't been shown a final design. Hard to believe also they can do adequate testing of a new product when none are built. Pretty much unheard of in the auto industry. I'm wondering how a trouble free car can be manufactured with little to no testing?
The same could be said of the Chevy Bolt EV... from concept car to production ready in just under two years, so there is precedent. And the Model 3 is scheduled for release at the end of 2017, so slightly over a year from now. Not under a year as you had stated.

Last edited:
I really think the event on the 17th has nothing to do with the 3. Elon wrote product "unveiling", which tells me it's something new and the "unexpected by most" hints it's something people have not talked about.
So I'm calling Tesla van/truck or Tesla Y.

We'll see the final design at the second reveal, why is it crazy we haven't seen it yet? Most new cars aren't revealed until much closerto production, why should Tesla be any different.

Also, what makes you think they aren't going to do testing? They only finished the design a month or two ago, in all likelyhood they don't have a prototype to test yet.

Reactions: Red Sage