Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 puncture - tyre replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tyre size is 235 / 45 / R18 on my M3P- and found a screw in my tyre yesterday so managed to plug it with a diy kit like this for now https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-2046...1&keywords=Tyre+Repair&qid=1600247454&sr=8-16
Worked better than I expected and checked with dish soap and no air leaks but still wouldn't want to risk it on the motorway.

Problem is I need to drive on the motorway on Friday and there are limited options as to what I can do!
Looking online it's coming up at about £160 cheapest PS4 (non acoustic) to replace and as the hole is near the edge (although not on it) it's not patch repairable by a garage.

Was thinking of changing to goodyear eagle F1 anyway which are better rolling resistance so might just swap the back 2 even though there's about 5mm left.
Anyone done anything similar recently?

I repaired one of my rear tyres with a similar plug kit after taking a screw out of the tyre. That was back in February 2020, and I've been up and down to Yorkshire from Sussex twice since then. The fix is not perfect, every couple of weeks I loose one or two PSI.
There are many stories of these fixes lasting years.

Reactions: m3p_uk
I've had Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres on previous cars and hated them, not sure how well they are suited to M3. They just never seem very sure footed in damp conditions on corners and roundabouts. By all means they claim to be great for straight line wet performance. But we all have our preferences. I plan to stick with Michelin when it's time to change the tyres, maybe Cross Climate + next.

If you want a tyre which will be more efficient than the PS4 but still with good performance try the Hankook Ventus evo 3, which is fitted to some Model 3s and is one of the standard fitment tyres on the Taycan.

FWIW, my Model 3 came with the Hankook Ventus Evo 3 tyres, on 19" rims, and I'm very impressed with them. In my experience, some of the low rolling resistance tyres can be a bit lacking in grip, but this definitely doesn't seem to be the case with the Hankooks. I've only once had them begin to let go, and that was me really pushing things (accelerating very hard coming off a roundabout - got the rear end to begin to step out slightly).

I've had Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres on previous cars and hated them, not sure how well they are suited to M3. They just never seem very sure footed in damp conditions on corners and roundabouts. By all means they claim to be great for straight line wet performance. But we all have our preferences. I plan to stick with Michelin when it's time to change the tyres, maybe Cross Climate + next.

Had them on my previous Audi and they were super quiet and also very good cornering. Much better than the previous brick like Bridgestones which were on there!

Kwik Fit suprisingly where OK for replacement Pilot 4 acoustics. Getting my rears replaced on Saturday (tread depth at/below legal minimum)

2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Silent at £141.00
Tyre Size 235/45Y18
EU Tyre Label Info - Vehicle Type C1, Fuel Efficiency B, Wet Grip B, Noise Rating 2-71dB £282.00
2 x Wheel Balancing at £6.75 £13.50
2 x Standard Valve or TPMS Valve Stem/Service Kit at £4.75 £9.50
2 x Environmental Tyre Disposal at £1.50 £3.00
Total £308.00

• Informative
Reactions: m3p_uk
So is the Goodyear isn't it?
I see the Pilot Sport 4 is C as well. So I think if you want B or better you'll have to compromise on performance.
Michelin Primacy 4 is often fitted in N.America, but it's not particularly good in the wet.
Cheers, Goodyear was rated as B for that size when I was looking.was thinking primacy but don't think it'll handle the power of performance when I out my foot down either!haha

Kwik Fit suprisingly where OK for replacement Pilot 4 acoustics. Getting my rears replaced on Saturday (tread depth at/below legal minimum)

2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Silent at £141.00
Tyre Size 235/45Y18
EU Tyre Label Info - Vehicle Type C1, Fuel Efficiency B, Wet Grip B, Noise Rating 2-71dB £282.00
2 x Wheel Balancing at £6.75 £13.50
2 x Standard Valve or TPMS Valve Stem/Service Kit at £4.75 £9.50
2 x Environmental Tyre Disposal at £1.50 £3.00
Total £308.00

They were actually cheapest for the acoustic!
Didn't have any availability till Saturday unfortunately though so went through Asda tyres and have a mobile fitting on Fri for £162

I couldn’t source foam lined tyres anywhere when I had to replace all four on my M3P. I can’t say I’ve noticed the slightest bit of difference in road noise while using tyres without the lining. The car is way too noisy at motorway speeds whatever tyres you use.

I think they just cut out a section of the foam and repair as per normal tyre. Trouble is they'll probably prefer to sell you a new one so it's a useful way to suggest that has to be done.
I've posted previously - local garage has fixed 4 punctures on my S and they're friendly enough to let one lurk, watch, bullshit and drink coffee while they do it. They just cut the foam out around the puncture, use a bur on drill to clean away any part of the glue line and rough up the inside area before gluing a mushroom patch and reminding them of the wheel-nut torque.