Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Purchase From 3rd Party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

Currently own a Tesla model 3, but considering purchasing a second Tesla. I’m looking at a couple of 2017 and 2016 Tesla model S. I’ve done lots of reading on the forum about the debate if you keep or do not keep the free, unlimited super charging when you purchase a used car, but I had an observation during a couple of car check outs today that I noticed and would appreciate your feedback.

It seems that you never keep the super charging if you purchase a used car from Tesla, but from a third party dealer you may keep it so long as the original delivery date was before April 15, 2017. Of course there’s really no way that I can see that information, and a third party dealer didn’t know it either.

It seems that you never keep the supercharging if you purchase a used car from Tesla, but from a third party dealer you may keep it so long as the delivery date was before April 15, 2017. Of course there’s really no way that I can know that information, and a third party dealer didn’t know it either.

when I looked at these two cars separately in person, I noticed one said that payment information was required when I opened up the charging screen on the main display. The second car I looked at at the dealer, just said “no recent supercharging” on that screen even after we brought it to a supercharger and used it during the test drive. Obviously, the first car requires a payment method, but the second car we brought to a super charger and it worked just fine. We didn’t put any payment information in and it was super charging, and I find that very interesting. Does that mean that the car will come with super charging once I register it to my Tesla account?

also, one of the cars had a cracked backup camera. Does anyone know how much that cost to get fixed?

I purchased my new inventory S on 3/31/2017, so about two weeks before that April 15 cutoff. Theoretically I should be able to transfer to a 2nd owner, but all language that used to say that in my account is gone. So until I try to sell it, unclear what Tesla claims they are still obligated to do so, despite any assurances you may get at a service center.

I think there is a 2nd issue, as you mention dealers. If the chain of ownership goes through a dealer, whether they titled the car or not, I think there were cases where the 2nd owner had challenges in getting FUSC transferred by Tesla. Dont know how those ended up resolving...

Reactions: Akikiki