Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 range loss in park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2 year old Tesla Model 3 (Dual Range) when parked if temperature is low (below freezing outside ) I’ve lost up to 26km over a 24 hour period. Is this normal ? Additionally , for every 100km driven I’m using 150km approx of battery with the heating eating up a lot of the battery vs range estimates is this normal ?

I have lost 40 to 50% of range in subfreezing conditions. Just like any battery, cold hurts. Also, Tesla is going to use some energy parked outside in the freezing cold to keep the battery within normal ranges when it can, to maintain the battery's health and range at more normal temperatures. Keeping it in a garage and plugged in will obviously help in this respect, but Tesla will likely prioritize protecting the battery (even over passenger comfort) in nearly all cases of excessive heat or cold..

I have a 2 year old Tesla Model 3 (Dual Range) when parked if temperature is low (below freezing outside ) I’ve lost up to 26km over a 24 hour period. Is this normal ?
Yes
Additionally , for every 100km driven I’m using 150km approx of battery with the heating eating up a lot of the battery vs range estimates is this normal ?
Yes

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The car does not do this. It would be pointless.
In extreme temperatures, it would prevent long term damage to the battery. I am talking about warming the battery to minimum temps, or cooling the battery from maximums temps, not preconditioning the battery for driving and range. The BMS will protect the battery from extremes whenever you have 20% or more remaining.

In extreme temperatures, it would prevent long term damage to the battery. I am talking about warming the battery to minimum temps, or cooling the battery from maximums temps, not preconditioning the battery for driving and range. The BMS will protect the battery from extremes whenever you have 20% or more remaining.

Perhaps at very extreme temperatures, but I don’t think we have reports from any users where that has happened. (It has been speculated about.)

Certainly it would never happen in Ireland even in record cold temperatures.

Note my comment was not about extreme heat - seems more likely to encounter that (but never in Ireland) but again no idea when that would happen exactly.

Reactions: Rocky_H
You don't mention whether you are parked inside/outside? I assume your are parked outside. You will also have a big change if you check when the battery is warm and then checking again after the snowflake comes on the screen while parked for a while when it is cold. It is also worthwhile checking your Energy Screen - Park mode which will give a good breakdown of energy loss while parked.