Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 rear ended

ddreww

Mar 14, 2021
MA
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some input. my Model 3 was rear-ended by a F150 yesterday, the person did not even attempt to brake. Long story short, my car would allow me to drive and had to be towed. The rear of my car is severely damaged IMO. After a few hours later I noticed that I could not connect to my car through my phone app. I called and spoke to someone at Tesla to see what was going on but the only answer I got was that my car was "offline". Unfortunately, this happened on the weekend and the person said I would have to call back on Monday to get more details. I currently have no information about my car because everywhere is closed, the body shop and my car insurance company is closed on the weekends so I have no updates regarding anything. The whole situation is just a huge pain. I wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience with the car not being able to drive after the accident and if it has ever went "offline". Does this mean the car is totaled?

Thanks!

Drew

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
I wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience with the car not being able to drive after the accident and if it has ever went "offline". Does this mean the car is totaled?

Did any airbags go off? If so, that disables the car, by blowing the pyro fuse in the battery pack, which will end up with the 12v running out of "juice" a few hours later. (Rendering your car offline.) And no, that doesn't automatically mean that it is totaled.

• Informative
Reactions: 5150 and jjrandorin

ddreww

Mar 14, 2021
MA
Sorry to hear, do you have any pictures?
Thanks for the response this one of the pictures I have on hand.

Attachments

• D437AF12-3C68-4DE2-A6B8-47E7B4281ED2.jpeg
    D437AF12-3C68-4DE2-A6B8-47E7B4281ED2.jpeg
    628.3 KB · Views: 38

ddreww

Mar 14, 2021
MA
Did any airbags go off? If so, that disables the car, by blowing the pyro fuse in the battery pack, which will end up with the 12v running out of "juice" a few hours later. (Rendering your car offline.) And no, that doesn't automatically mean that it is totaled.
Thanks for the reply. Nope, none of my airbags went off..

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
I hope for your sake that baby is totaled. Based on other posts I've seen probably will be.

Standard practice is to disconnect main battery if the car didn't already do it.

12V battery won't last long and might have been shutdown as well.

I assume in your first post you meant that the car did NOT allow you to drive. Because you definitely do not even if it did allow it.
Coolant systems can leak etc.

Good luck.

TimT

Jan 30, 2018
Orlando, Florida
I hope for your sake that baby is totaled. Based on other posts I've seen probably will be.

Standard practice is to disconnect main battery if the car didn't already do it.

12V battery won't last long and might have been shutdown as well.

I assume in your first post you meant that the car did NOT allow you to drive. Because you definitely do not even if it did allow it.
Coolant systems can leak etc.

Good luck.
Wow! I hope no one was hurt.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC