Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Model 3 Receives ‘Superior’ Rating for Front Crash Prevention

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has started releasing results of its Model 3 tests, awarding a “superior” rating for front crash prevention.

IIHS evaluates the stopping capabilities of vehicles equipped with autobrake in two tests at 12 and 25 mph on the Vehicle Research Center test track. In each, an engineer drives the vehicle straight toward a stationary target designed to simulate the back of a car. Since running into an actual car puts the test driver at risk and is expensive, IIHS uses an inflatable target as a stand-in. Under the vinyl cover, inflatable tubes and foam sit on a metal frame, which is then affixed to metal guides on the track to keep the target from moving until it is struck by the test vehicle. A GPS system and other sensors monitor the test vehicle’s lane position, speed, time to collision, braking and other data. An onboard camera captures each test run from the driver’s perspective and monitors any warnings issued by the front crash prevention systems.

The Model 3 avoided a crash at 12 mph and 25 mph to pass both the low-speed and high-speed autobrake test. The Model S and Model X previously achieved the same rating.

IIHS engineers also measure the reach of a vehicle’s headlights as the vehicle travels straight and on curves. Sensors on the track measure how far from the vehicle the light extends with an intensity of at least 5 lux. A lux is a unit of illuminance, or the amount of light falling on a surface. For comparison, a full moon on a cloudless night illuminates the ground below to about 1 lux.

IIHS awarded an “acceptable” rating for the Model 3’s headlights.

When testing the low beams on a straightaway, the organization said visibility was good on the left side of the road and inadequate on the right side. On curves, visibility was fair in all 4 tests.

With high beams on a straightaway, visibility was good on the right side of the road and fair on the left side. On curves, visibility was good on the gradual right curve and fair on the sharp right and both left curves. IIHS noted that “high-beam assist compensates for some limitations of this vehicle’s low beams on the straightaway and all 4 curves.”

IIHS will also conduct tests of  front and side crashes, roof strength, head restraints and seats, booster seats, and child seat attachment hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: emorog
Then why did a Testla just run into a firetruck???
I have the same questions and concern.
1. How do we know this driver is telling Tesla the truth about the Model 3 being in autopilot?
2. With all of these short sellers out there making up stuff, & with the knowledge that the Model 3 is the safest car on the road, how do we know he wasn't planning this accident?
3. Has Tesla looked into the black box yet to see if the car was in autopilot?
4. We have thousands of accidents in car accidents every day across this country, and yet Tesla gets two accidents in one week, and the short sellers go nuts on-line saying all kinds of unkind and untrue things.
Tesla needs to get to the bottom of all of this so we can get down to business, with less distractions.

1. How do we know this driver is telling Tesla the truth about the Model 3 being in autopilot?
Ok, first of all it wasn't a Model 3, it was a Model S. Second... because the girl admitted to looking at her phone. She's admitting guilt. I'm pretty sure some irrelevant detail (to the police and to her at the moment) is going to be truth. But also, Tesla can confirm. Finally... it doesn't matter. The car's emergency automatic braking is supposed to be FULL TIME. Auto pilot or not, the car should have slammed on the brakes.

2. With all of these short sellers out there making up stuff, & with the knowledge that the Model 3 is the safest car on the road, how do we know he wasn't planning this accident?
because that would be crazy conspiracy theory nonsense. And again, it wasn't a 3. Nor do we have "knowledge that the Model 3 is the safest car on the road". You really think it is going to be safer than its larger siblings?
3. Has Tesla looked into the black box yet to see if the car was in autopilot?
I'm sure that will be confirmed shortly, if it hasn't already. They're pretty quick to release details usually.
4. We have thousands of accidents in car accidents every day across this country, and yet Tesla gets two accidents in one week, and the short sellers go nuts on-line saying all kinds of unkind and untrue things.
Tesla needs to get to the bottom of all of this so we can get down to business, with less distractions.
Well, that is a valid point of why it is getting media play. I'm not concerned at all about the impact on finances. I'm concerned if my car is as safe as I was led to believe. From my own experiences, I think a recent update changed something because there have been MANY cases over the past months where my car doesn't react AT ALL to stopped cars ahead. I've had to stomp on my brakes uncomfortably (I'm paying attention, but I like to see how the AP behaves). It didn't used to be that way. It used to stop briskly, but comfortably, when approaching stopped cars. I have no empirical evidence... but I suspect something changed and we're seeing the consequences of it.

Active emergency braking SHOULD have engaged the brakes at some point before slamming into that truck. I don't think there's really any spin on that.

Active emergency braking SHOULD have engaged the brakes at some point before slamming into that truck. I don't think there's really any spin on that.

We don't know what she did right before the crash. If she looked up and hit the brakes herself, she would cancel any AEB being applied. In that situation, she may not of been applying full braking power.

Also, AEB may have fired and reduced her impact speed from 60 to say 40. Therefore it did its job as advertised in the manual.

Reactions: sundaymorning
True (on your second point. I think your first is wrong, unless Tesla specifically did something stupid just to be different). And if we find out that AEB engaged, then ok... but then TACC didn't. There's really not much excuse and I'm not sure why people try so hard to forgive them for every failure.

That may be an answer to why his question isn't relevant to this discussion (another is that it wasn't a Model 3)... but the question needs to be asked. I own a Model S and from my own experiences, I'm no longer comfortable that the automatic emergency braking will do its job.

Good! No offense, but that anyone ever got "comfortable" with it at this point was a false sense of security. On numerous occasions it has demonstrated it has a hard time with certain fixed objects. Don't expect it to work. If it does and saves your ass, great. Otherwise, consider yourself on the clock :)

Reactions: Krugerrand
We don't know what she did right before the crash. If she looked up and hit the brakes herself, she would cancel any AEB being applied. In that situation, she may not of been applying full braking power.

Also, AEB may have fired and reduced her impact speed from 60 to say 40. Therefore it did its job as advertised in the manual.

I haven't seen anyone mention that her foot could have been resting on the accelerator. I've used the accelerator while in autosteer and TACC but only when I'm watching the road. :eek:

This possible scenario would have overridden TACC braking and AEB. She should have received an audible alarm but it could have been too late. Tesla should be able to determine what happened.

I haven't seen anyone mention that her foot could have been resting on the accelerator. I've used the accelerator while in autosteer and TACC but only when I'm watching the road. :eek:

This possible scenario would have overridden TACC braking and AEB. She should have received an audible alarm but it could have been too late. Tesla should be able to determine what happened.

A very common scenario.

I don’t know that she would have gotten an audible alarm if foot on accelerator.

If she did (vehicle in front icon turns red, tone sounds), it wouldn’t have been but a split second before impact at that speed.

I just don’t consider my car as even having AEB anymore. It’s not something I can count upon.

There are plenty of cases in which the car has reduced greatly my opportunity for an accident. Let’s call that “A”.

However, there are quite a few in which the car either has not or has increased risk and decreased safety. Call that “B”

Bottom line is that as long as A > B, then it’s worth it to continue using the active and passive Driver Assist features that have been unfortunately mislabeled “autopilot”.

• Informative
Reactions: msudawgfan
I'm no longer comfortable that the automatic emergency braking will do its job.

This is the job it does:

If driving 29 mph (46 km/h) or faster, the brakes are released after Automatic Emergency Braking has reduced your driving speed by 25 mph (40 km/h). For example, if Automatic Emergency Braking applies braking when driving 56 mph (90 km/h), it releases the brakes when your speed has been reduced to 31 mph (50 km/h).

See page 93 (as indicated by the printed page numbers) https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf

This is the job it does:

See page 93 (as indicated by the printed page numbers) Tesla

Except it doesn’t, and isn’t. It’s 0-2 against emergency services vehicles (such as fire trucks).

Other than that, I’m sure AEB is an Absolutely Fabulous feature.

I am however, reminded by your post that it is a very good idea to re-read the manual every 6 months or so, and am setting a reminder to that effect now.

Except it doesn’t, and isn’t. It’s 0-2 against emergency services vehicles (such as fire trucks)

I agree, but the point is, this is all any manufacturers' vehicles are legally required to do - simply reduce the speed of a frontal collision.

Pick a car, any car (I chose BMW 3 series in the link below). Select Front Crash Prevention from the left-side menu and the test results are always along the lines of:

Forward collision warning
This system meets the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's criteria for forward collision warning.
1 point
Low-speed autobrake
In the 12 mph IIHS test, impact speed was reduced by 7 mph. 1 point
High-speed autobrake
In the 25 mph IIHS test, impact speed was reduced by 6 mph. 1 point

2018 BMW 3 series

If a car stops in time on the 12 and 25 mph tests, it's awarded a few extra points. If it crashes, it still get points and this model of BMW gained a total of 3 points so apparently it can be classed as having "Advanced" front crash prevention - even though it crashed on the tests!

How about 50 mph? What about 70 mph? These speeds are not a requirement of the certification process.

Advanced? How is this Advanced??

Does Automatic Emergency Braking mean what members of the public assume that it means? Hell no.

Does this matter? Up until recently, no, not really, because our lack of understanding of AEB isn't exposed in normal driving - we drive, we see things, we brake, most of the time we stop, sometimes we don't. We drive manually and we pay attention.

With the rise of AP and systems like it, folks are starting to realise that there are a number of driver assist systems which have been around for a while where we haven't bothered/needed to read the fine print.

There is a legacy of driver assumptions which are now starting to bite back.

I'm with you 100% on regular manual updates.

And they really should change the definition of AEB.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Ok, first of all it wasn't a Model 3, it was a Model S. Second... because the girl admitted to looking at her phone. She's admitting guilt. I'm pretty sure some irrelevant detail (to the police and to her at the moment) is going to be truth. But also, Tesla can confirm. Finally... it doesn't matter. The car's emergency automatic braking is supposed to be FULL TIME. Auto pilot or not, the car should have slammed on the brakes.

because that would be crazy conspiracy theory nonsense. And again, it wasn't a 3. Nor do we have "knowledge that the Model 3 is the safest car on the road". You really think it is going to be safer than its larger siblings?
I'm sure that will be confirmed shortly, if it hasn't already. They're pretty quick to release details usually.
Well, that is a valid point of why it is getting media play. I'm not concerned at all about the impact on finances. I'm concerned if my car is as safe as I was led to believe. From my own experiences, I think a recent update changed something because there have been MANY cases over the past months where my car doesn't react AT ALL to stopped cars ahead. I've had to stomp on my brakes uncomfortably (I'm paying attention, but I like to see how the AP behaves). It didn't used to be that way. It used to stop briskly, but comfortably, when approaching stopped cars. I have no empirical evidence... but I suspect something changed and we're seeing the consequences of it.

The pictures I did see was of a black car crumpled into a firetruck, I'm not an investigator of accidents, so it looked like a model 3 to me. The article I read was of a model three saying it was listed as one of the best and safest cars on the road, so I assumed that they were referring to that accident or that model car.
I also read that the driver was a he, because news reported that he broke his right ankle, so if the driver is a Woman, that was reported wrong, no surprise there.

People will do the say and do strangest things to bring down Tesla, look at what GM did in 1990 when they lied to their leased EV1 car owners when they were told to turn them in so they could upgrade them, but instead they crushed every one of them.
I realize that has nothing to do with this, I am using it as an example as to what has been done to bring down the idea of electric vehicles, they just don't want the competition.

With that said the above should make you realize of what could be going on here, we are talking about multi billions of dollars, and these other people invested in the every day ordinary auto are threatened by Tesla, and I might add other EV makers.

The fact that Tesla is taking it's time to come out with the truth, or at least what the black box will tell them is a good thing.