Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Model 3 Receives ‘Superior’ Rating for Front Crash Prevention

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has started releasing results of its Model 3 tests, awarding a “superior” rating for front crash prevention.

IIHS evaluates the stopping capabilities of vehicles equipped with autobrake in two tests at 12 and 25 mph on the Vehicle Research Center test track. In each, an engineer drives the vehicle straight toward a stationary target designed to simulate the back of a car. Since running into an actual car puts the test driver at risk and is expensive, IIHS uses an inflatable target as a stand-in. Under the vinyl cover, inflatable tubes and foam sit on a metal frame, which is then affixed to metal guides on the track to keep the target from moving until it is struck by the test vehicle. A GPS system and other sensors monitor the test vehicle’s lane position, speed, time to collision, braking and other data. An onboard camera captures each test run from the driver’s perspective and monitors any warnings issued by the front crash prevention systems.

The Model 3 avoided a crash at 12 mph and 25 mph to pass both the low-speed and high-speed autobrake test. The Model S and Model X previously achieved the same rating.

IIHS engineers also measure the reach of a vehicle’s headlights as the vehicle travels straight and on curves. Sensors on the track measure how far from the vehicle the light extends with an intensity of at least 5 lux. A lux is a unit of illuminance, or the amount of light falling on a surface. For comparison, a full moon on a cloudless night illuminates the ground below to about 1 lux.

IIHS awarded an “acceptable” rating for the Model 3’s headlights.

When testing the low beams on a straightaway, the organization said visibility was good on the left side of the road and inadequate on the right side. On curves, visibility was fair in all 4 tests.

With high beams on a straightaway, visibility was good on the right side of the road and fair on the left side. On curves, visibility was good on the gradual right curve and fair on the sharp right and both left curves. IIHS noted that “high-beam assist compensates for some limitations of this vehicle’s low beams on the straightaway and all 4 curves.”

IIHS will also conduct tests of  front and side crashes, roof strength, head restraints and seats, booster seats, and child seat attachment hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: emorog
This is the job it does:
Sure, and that's A-OK if it actually does that.

Tesla likes to point out that "technically" blah blah. Not good enough. The car has the capability, sensors, tools, etc to see the firetruck and stop or drastically slow down before plowing into the firetruck. But it didn't. Twice.

This nonsense about drivers overriding it by having their foot on the gas, or the brake, or out the window... it shouldn't matter what the driver is telling the car to do. If the car sees a solid object in front of it, it should do its best to not hit it. I don't care if we want to label that AEB, TACC, AP, or just plain RESPECT... it has a job to do (based on marketing and Musk's rhetoric and just common sense expectations) and it isn't doing it. And I think it is doing a worse job of it now than it was before. I have a strong sense that my car is less safe than it was when I bought it. I have nothing to back that up... just it seems like it is quite often not recognizing stopped vehicles when it did before. *overall* I can say that AP (and I use that term to describe all the assist features collectively) has improved in performance, but seemingly not safety.

This nonsense about drivers overriding it by having their foot on the gas, or the brake, or out the window... it shouldn't matter what the driver is telling the car to do. If the car sees a solid object in front of it, it should do its best to not hit it.

Well, there are AEB systems out there that do assist with max braking if it engages and you manually brake as well. I think those are good systems, and it is too bad Tesla didn't include that.

As far as the car overriding a gas pedal input in an AEB situation - that becomes a problem when there is a false positive. It seems like the latest software has increased the false positive braking events folks are experiencing (under overpasses, etc) so not being able to override the car when it THINKS it is seeing a brick wall (but isn't) is a huge safety hazard as well. The driver should always have an override option and the gas pedal seems like the best choice for that.

I agree, the driver has the responsibility for the safety of himself/herself or their passengers, and right now I look at autopilot like I would cruse control, we set the speed but we keep our hands and brake foot ready for anything we don't yet see.
The car sensors are not fool proof, and it seems to me with recent accidents autopilot technology isn't advanced enough yet to allow the car to drive itself, and if you allow the car to drive itself, you could be the only fool in the car, it's his or her responsibility for the safety of the car, and others on the road.
It also seems to me she was lucky to hit that firetruck, because that's the same as hitting a brick wall, nobody else was hurt.

Tesla driver who crashed into a fire truck says she was on her phone before the collision

Reuters reports:

Police in Utah said a Tesla report of the vehicle showed that the driver of the Model S enabled Autopilot about 1 minute and 22 seconds before the crash. The report said she took her hands off the steering wheel “within two seconds” of engaging the system and then did not touch the steering wheel for the next 80 seconds, until the crash happened.

Yes but the report went on to say that she touched the brake pedal seconds before the crash canceling any automatic response the car may have done by itself, she was to busy looking at her phone before the crash.

"Tesla issued a statement saying the company makes it clear Autopilot is not meant to serve as self-driving technology and that drivers must remain engaged with the vehicle at all times. The car was programmed by the driver to travel at 60 mph. The driver finally touched the brake pedal "a second prior to the crash."

If all of this info holds up, it would make the accident her fault because the instructions say to keep your hands on the steering wheel and your eyes on the road at all times, even if autopilot is engaged.

Last edited:
Yes but the report went on to say that she touched the brake pedal seconds before the crash canceling any automatic response the car may have done by itself, she was to busy looking at her phone before the crash.

"Tesla issued a statement saying the company makes it clear Autopilot is not meant to serve as self-driving technology and that drivers must remain engaged with the vehicle at all times. The car was programmed by the driver to travel at 60 mph. The driver finally touched the brake pedal "a second prior to the crash."

If all of this info holds up, it would make the accident her fault because the instructions say to keep your hands on the steering wheel and your eyes on the road at all times, even if autopilot is engaged.

If you read paragraph 4, section F on page 16,920 of the owners manual, it specifically states that AEB only functions on Thursdays, in clear weather, during a non-leap year, between 15 and 22.7mph, and is not able to detect emergency vehicles. In section G it states that the driver is at fault for any Tesla system that fails to work as advertised.

My AP never had trouble stopping for stopped cars upto 45mph.

I have never tested it at higher speeds as I always reduce AP max speed to atleast 45 if I am going higher.

For the most part it detects the stopped cars comfortably early.

If you read paragraph 4, section F on page 16,920 of the owners manual, it specifically states that AEB only functions on Thursdays, in clear weather, during a non-leap year, between 15 and 22.7mph, and is not able to detect emergency vehicles. In section G it states that the driver is at fault for any Tesla system that fails to work as advertised.

If you take the time to read the actual report you will read that she hit the brake pedal "fractions of a second" before the crash, that would have canceled any action the car was going to take if she just sat there.
The part that astounded me was that because of the crash she only broke her right ankle, instead of her neck, or her cell phone screen which she was staring at, at the time of the crash.

If you take the time to read the actual report you will read that she hit the brake pedal "fractions of a second" before the crash, that would have canceled any action the car was going to take if she just sat there.
The part that astounded me was that because of the crash she only broke her right ankle, instead of her neck, or her cell phone screen which she was staring at, at the time of the crash.

Yea sure, and all of those people who were injured or died due to Takata airbags are at fault because they were irresponsible enough to be in an accident in the first place.