Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Model 3 Reviewed As ‘Coolest Car of 2017’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Automotive journalist Doug DeMuro, who attracts millions to his auto reviews on YouTube, has posted a thorough overview of the Tesla Model 3. He says the Model 3 is “the coolest car of the year.”

Among the observations in DeMuro’s column on the Model 3:

Acceleration – DeMuro drove the “long-range” version, capable of zero to 60 in 5.1 seconds. He was impressed with the car’s midrange power. “The Model 3 is raucously fast from 30 or 40 miles per hour — though ‘raucously’ is probably the wrong word, since the car makes absolutely no noise. It’s like a drama-free BMW M3.”

Handling – The Model 3 “stayed mostly flat in cornering and delivered no drama, even going fairly fast through some sharp turns. Body roll is minimal and steering is oddly responsive.”

Interior room – At 6-foot-4, DeMuro had no trouble sitting behind the wheel, but found the back seat tight for someone his size. “It’s totally livable.”

Screen – “I’m happy to report it’s just as sensitive, intuitive and wonderful to use as ever.”

Gripes – “I wish there were an auxiliary speedometer in the center, the ride is a bit rough with the optional 19-inch wheels, and — most of all — I wish the interior were just a little nicer.”

See the full video below.[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te6VqldjTT8″ video_title=”1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
Onto the negatives. He doesn’t like the cheap aftermarket Chinese steering wheel. and he doesn’t like the Speedo in the middle. Also it looks like tesla is still having problems lining up panels. I hope Tesla can address these problems until I get my car in Australia.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Onto the negatives. He doesn’t like the cheap aftermarket Chinese steering wheel. and he doesn’t like the Speedo in the middle. Also it looks like tesla is still having problems lining up panels. I hope Tesla can address these problems until I get my car in Australia.
You mean the lack of a central instrument cluster? I'm afraid I'd be feeling the same.

Odd, these cars come off the production line so slowly, and they still deliver it with misaligned panels. Are the panels just pressed off-fitting?

It's less costly than a Model S with good range, but is it truly a better deal?

You mean the lack of a central instrument cluster? I'm afraid I'd be feeling the same.

Odd, these cars come off the production line so slowly, and they still deliver it with misaligned panels. Are the panels just pressed off-fitting?

Yes sorry I meant not having a Speedo in the middle.
I just don’t get it why can Toyota sell many millions of cars or any other big manufacture and get all the panels right. Yet Tesla after 5 years can’t. But what annoys me the most is these are visible faults yet they dare to give the customer the car Without fixing them before.

Reactions: C141medic
No, it's a TERRIBLE deal. Cancel your reservation now and purchase a Model S, NOW! :D (TSLA shareholder and patient model 3 reservationist and been happily driving with the instrument cluster to the right for 4 years)

Well, he had to find something negative to say to keep the Land Down Under Happy. "No Model 3 for YOU"

Thanks for your feedback. You see I still have a lot of time until I get my car. where you guys in America are screwed. You are going to get that cheap ugly steering wheel and you are going to get misalign panels. You also are not going to get a speedo in the Center because this is a supposed to be a 100% self driving car. The reason for Speaking out is I hope finally somebody at Tesla listens and will amend these issues by the time I get mine in Australia. Elon mask said himself That he loves criticism because it helps him to a better job. So here you have it!!!

Automotive journalist Doug DeMuro, who attracts millions to his auto reviews on YourTube, has posted a thorough overview of the Tesla Model 3. He says the Model 3 is “the coolest car of the year.”

[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/11/06/tesla-model-3-reviewed-as-coolest-car-of-2017/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

I humbly (and disappointedly) submit that he is in error....M3 is the coolest idea of a car of the year, if the year is 2017. Perhaps he will be correct for next year.

• Funny
Reactions: igotzzoom and deonb
Thanks for your feedback. You see I still have a lot of time until I get my car. where you guys in America are screwed. You are going to get that cheap ugly steering wheel and you are going to get misalign panels. You also are not going to get a speedo in the Center because this is a supposed to be a 100% self driving car. The reason for Speaking out is I hope finally somebody at Tesla listens and will amend these issues by the time I get mine in Australia. Elon mask said himself That he values negative feedback more because it helps him to a better job. So here you have it!!! Also I want Tesla to succeed but cutting corners will not help them. Tesla will always get criticised a lot more than the other car manufacturers for obvious reasons.
So why not give the other manufactures and the fossil fuel industries less of a reason to
Criticise. Giving Tesla (Tesla brainwashed ) feedback will not help them improve.

Last edited:
Really fun, informative and balanced review. The punch line at the end is:

"By far the best score yet for a car at this price level."

For context on his score of 68, a BMW M3 (E46) is rated 57, BMW M5 is rated 64, Porsche 911R is rated 66. The Model 3 ties a MacLaren 650S at 68.

The only cars rated higher have base prices well into the six figures, except the Model X which rates 69. His top-rated car -- the Porsche 918 Spyder with a base price of $850K -- rates a 73.

Bottom line conclusion is that this a great all-around car.

The all-around ratings chart is at 31:58 of the video.

Very good and useful review. For me, it made the M3's attractive qualities more attractive, and its unattractive qualities more glaring. The car seems fun to drive, and that's good. But why on earth is it cool to have multiple ways to do something as essentially simple as opening a charge port? One of the nice features of the S is doing away with the separate "start" step. Adding multiple paths to something simple is not a sign of technical prowess. It's a sign of fritterware. Or why have to drill down through menus to do something as basic (and necessary) as turning on the headlights?
My wife watched the review and said, early on, "Tesla forgot the three click rule." Meaning you shouldn't have to hunt and peck to get where you're going. "Controlling the cabin lights off a screen menu is dumb'" she added. "The Prius way...just touching a light you want to come on, is so much better."
She might be onto something.
Robin

Very good and useful review. For me, it made the M3's attractive qualities more attractive, and its unattractive qualities more glaring. The car seems fun to drive, and that's good. But why on earth is it cool to have multiple ways to do something as essentially simple as opening a charge port? One of the nice features of the S is doing away with the separate "start" step. Adding multiple paths to something simple is not a sign of technical prowess. It's a sign of fritterware. Or why have to drill down through menus to do something as basic (and necessary) as turning on the headlights?
My wife watched the review and said, early on, "Tesla forgot the three click rule." Meaning you shouldn't have to hunt and peck to get where you're going. "Controlling the cabin lights off a screen menu is dumb'" she added. "The Prius way...just touching a light you want to come on, is so much better."
She might be onto something.
Robin
Most of those settings you are concerned about are just that, settings. Most cars require you to drill down to find them. And most importantly each of those (headlights, cabin lighting) settings includes the biggie - “AUTO”. We call those dusty switches in the flying biz. Set it once, and forget it forever.

It's definitely the coolest car in 2017 in terms of price/value, perhaps will still have the crown in 2018.

I'm having some doubt if it will still be in 2019/20 when the European/Asian car makers would have started releasing some BEVs. Again, this is just from me who doesn't care for the paid SCN charging and don't sell cars often (actually I haven't even gotten rid of my 02 Civic and already have two other cars in the household.)

"Controlling the cabin lights off a screen menu is dumb'" she added. "The Prius way...just touching a light you want to come on, is so much better."

Not sure if you caught the review by the Model3 Owner's Club guys, but the cabin lights work by clicking them on and off. The only reason you'd need to go into the menu is to switch settings like when you open doors.