Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Model 3 Reviewed As ‘Coolest Car of 2017’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Automotive journalist Doug DeMuro, who attracts millions to his auto reviews on YouTube, has posted a thorough overview of the Tesla Model 3. He says the Model 3 is “the coolest car of the year.”

Among the observations in DeMuro’s column on the Model 3:

Acceleration – DeMuro drove the “long-range” version, capable of zero to 60 in 5.1 seconds. He was impressed with the car’s midrange power. “The Model 3 is raucously fast from 30 or 40 miles per hour — though ‘raucously’ is probably the wrong word, since the car makes absolutely no noise. It’s like a drama-free BMW M3.”

Handling – The Model 3 “stayed mostly flat in cornering and delivered no drama, even going fairly fast through some sharp turns. Body roll is minimal and steering is oddly responsive.”

Interior room – At 6-foot-4, DeMuro had no trouble sitting behind the wheel, but found the back seat tight for someone his size. “It’s totally livable.”

Screen – “I’m happy to report it’s just as sensitive, intuitive and wonderful to use as ever.”

Gripes – “I wish there were an auxiliary speedometer in the center, the ride is a bit rough with the optional 19-inch wheels, and — most of all — I wish the interior were just a little nicer.”

See the full video below.[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te6VqldjTT8″ video_title=”1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good and useful review. For me, it made the M3's attractive qualities more attractive, and its unattractive qualities more glaring. The car seems fun to drive, and that's good. But why on earth is it cool to have multiple ways to do something as essentially simple as opening a charge port? One of the nice features of the S is doing away with the separate "start" step. Adding multiple paths to something simple is not a sign of technical prowess. It's a sign of fritterware. Or why have to drill down through menus to do something as basic (and necessary) as turning on the headlights?
My wife watched the review and said, early on, "Tesla forgot the three click rule." Meaning you shouldn't have to hunt and peck to get where you're going. "Controlling the cabin lights off a screen menu is dumb'" she added. "The Prius way...just touching a light you want to come on, is so much better."
She might be onto something.
Robin
You can turn on individual cabin lights by pressing them. The screen menu is used to turn them all on at once or to set to manual or automatic mode. The headlight setting is the same and almost everyone will set it and forget it to automatic. The wipers would theoretically be the same but in my experience automatic wiper settings are never accurate enough to rely on.

But why on earth is it cool to have multiple ways to do something as essentially simple as opening a charge port? One of the nice features of the S is doing away with the separate "start" step. Adding multiple paths to something simple is not a sign of technical prowess. It's a sign of fritterware.

On a Model S (and I believe X), there are already at least four different ways to open the charge port: (1) keyfob, (2) phone app, (3) tap charge port cover, and (4) control panel.

The main one added in the Model 3 -- the charge port opens automatically when the charger handle approaches -- seems very cool. Necessary? No. Fun? Yes, IMO.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8 and DR61
Most of those settings you are concerned about are just that, settings. Most cars require you to drill down to find them. And most importantly each of those (headlights, cabin lighting) settings includes the biggie - “AUTO”. We call those dusty switches in the flying biz. Set it once, and forget it forever.
In my flying biz, we called this kind of user interface "head down and locked."
Informative about the lights. Is their AUTO function actually enabled on the M3? Or is that a TBD over the air revision?
From my wife: "just where do you think the purses will go?"
Robin

Or why have to drill down through menus to do something as basic (and necessary) as turning on the headlights?

You don't have to ... set them to AUTO, and they will turn on by themselves without you drilling anything ... including us here ...

The main one added in the Model 3 -- the charge port opens automatically when the charger handle approaches
No, there is a button on the charger handle, push it and the port opens on ('newer') S and X.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV and DR61
Neat review. I think he really missed the importance of this vehicle even though near the end he said it was $5k less than a 340i and but still a better car.

Going to become really interesting over next 12months as tesla adds an AWD version & performance versions.

I’m expecting a $70K performance AWD to blow away the BMW M3, RS5, CTS-V, E63, 911 (maybe not turbo). May even come with a nicer steering wheel.

Neat review. I think he really missed the importance of this vehicle even though near the end he said it was $5k less than a 340i and but still a better car.

Going to become really interesting over next 12months as tesla adds an AWD version & performance versions.

I’m expecting a $70K performance AWD to blow away the BMW M3, RS5, CTS-V, E63, 911 (maybe not turbo). May even come with a nicer steering wheel.

Good solid review
He has some haters on the internet about his reviews......funny my plate is KCKDGAS on my ludicrous MS lol. I’m sure there are a few others with same plate.
He loves the new NSX super car as well and some other reviewers are bashing it. It’s a fantastic car on par with any F car or Lambo.

I´m seriously looking forward to when the Model 3 get`s reviewed by the usual big car reviewers.

This here is another review where the obvious quality flaws like the misaligned panels on the exterior, the gaps between the dashboard and the wood trim, the chinese sweatshop-steering wheel etc etc etc only get addressed by a single sentence like...."not as good as a bmw" ....and then forgotten.....it`s like being able to honk via a smarthphone app is cool enough to completely forget what a 60k car interior looks like at other manufacturers, and no, I´m not talking about the minimalistic design here.....
If this thing was an ICE with that pricetag people would go bogus about the presented quality......

An EV powertrain is a really nice thing to have, no doubt, but is it really worth ignoring everything else?

Last edited:
I´m seriously looking forward to when the Model 3 get`s reviewed by the usual big car reviewers.

This here is another review where the obvious quality flaws like the misaligned panels on the exterior, the gaps between the dashboard and the wood trim, the chinese sweatshop-steering wheel etc etc etc only get addressed by a single sentence like...."not as good as a bmw" ....and then forgotten.....it`s like being able to honk via a smarthphone app is cool enough to completely forget what a 60k car interior looks like at other manufacturers, and no, I´m not talking about the minimalistic design here.....
If this thing was an ICE with that pricetag people would go bogus about the presented quality......

An EV powertrain is a really nice thing to have, no doubt, but is it really worth ignoring everything else?

With German BEVs, I guess the only thing missing currently would be the 220 (or more) mile BEV and the SCN but then the latter is being addressed in Europe:
BMW, Ford, Volkswagen, Daimler Team Up For Install Of Fast Chargers In Europe

What is the point of going for a Tesla Model 3 if Germans can get 30-35% off MSRP depending on who their employer is? I read here on TMC about a German getting that much of a discount on a BMW. Tesla may have a tough sell once these European BEVs come out if they are priced more competitive.

All we get in Canada is 6-7% off the MSRP on BMW's but I'd surely entertain a German-made BEV as long as it has AWD and has a 250 mile more more range. I don't mind going for a Tesla, until a competitive enough (or better) offering comes up then Tesla better offer some incentives up its sleeves. 35% off MSRP for Germans is very a sweet incentive.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne

you have noticed the success of the Model S and X, right?

• Funny
Reactions: Phrixotrichus
With German BEVs, I guess the only thing missing currently would be the 220 (or more) mile BEV and the SCN but then the latter is being addressed in Europe:
BMW, Ford, Volkswagen, Daimler Team Up For Install Of Fast Chargers In Europe

What is the point of going for a Tesla Model 3 if Germans can get 30-35% off MSRP depending on who their employer is? I read here on TMC about a German getting that much of a discount on a BMW. Tesla may have a tough sell once these European BEVs come out if they are priced more competitive.

All we get in Canada is 6-7% off the MSRP on BMW's but I'd surely entertain a German-made BEV as long as it has AWD and has a 250 mile more more range. I don't mind going for a Tesla, until a competitive enough (or better) offering comes up then Tesla better offer some incentives up its sleeves. 35% off MSRP for Germans is very a sweet incentive.

The German's can't offer 35% off of similarly specced EVs, with similar production, and expect to make any money. So, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Reactions: tracksyde
The German's can't offer 35% off of similarly specced EVs, with similar production, and expect to make any money. So, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Of course they can, they just have to price their MSRP higher. At $50k USD starting price, a 30% that would be $35k. Only the battery is costly, everything else the Germans or Japanese can already make properly. Why do they have to make money if it shuts competitors off? I know it's anti-competitive but I doubt car makers do not perceive Tesla as a threat.

Oh yes, and they have to assuage the unions because there are a lot fewer parts with a BEV than an ICEV or PHEV or hybrid.

Believe me, I'd like for Tesla to survive. But I'm just being realistic in that most car makers are not sitting comfortable with Tesla potentially eating up market share. Once battery technology allows for less expensive packs (packs + drive units = engine/transmission R&D and manufacturing cost), more car makers are going to come in. It's just a matter of when not how.