TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Tesla Model 3 Reviewed As 'Coolest Car of 2017'

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TMC Staff, Nov 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

You can turn on individual cabin lights by pressing them. The screen menu is used to turn them all on at once or to set to manual or automatic mode. The headlight setting is the same and almost everyone will set it and forget it to automatic. The wipers would theoretically be the same but in my experience automatic wiper settings are never accurate enough to rely on.

• Informative x 3
  2. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

On a Model S (and I believe X), there are already at least four different ways to open the charge port: (1) keyfob, (2) phone app, (3) tap charge port cover, and (4) control panel.

The main one added in the Model 3 -- the charge port opens automatically when the charger handle approaches -- seems very cool. Necessary? No. Fun? Yes, IMO.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

In my flying biz, we called this kind of user interface "head down and locked."
    Informative about the lights. Is their AUTO function actually enabled on the M3? Or is that a TBD over the air revision?
    From my wife: "just where do you think the purses will go?"
    Robin

4. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

You don't have to ... set them to AUTO, and they will turn on by themselves without you drilling anything ... including us here ...

No, there is a button on the charger handle, push it and the port opens on ('newer') S and X.

• Informative x 2
  5. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

Neat review. I think he really missed the importance of this vehicle even though near the end he said it was $5k less than a 340i and but still a better car.

Going to become really interesting over next 12months as tesla adds an AWD version & performance versions.

I’m expecting a $70K performance AWD to blow away the BMW M3, RS5, CTS-V, E63, 911 (maybe not turbo). May even come with a nicer steering wheel.

6. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

Learn something new every day! So at least five ways to open the charge port on the S/X ....

7. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Active Member

He called them "Tesla Dealerships" like 10X.

That guy is going to get a lot of hate mail.

• Funny x 2
  8. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Member

Good solid review
    He has some haters on the internet about his reviews......funny my plate is KCKDGAS on my ludicrous MS lol. I’m sure there are a few others with same plate.
    He loves the new NSX super car as well and some other reviewers are bashing it. It’s a fantastic car on par with any F car or Lambo.

9. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

#29 Phrixotrichus, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    I´m seriously looking forward to when the Model 3 get`s reviewed by the usual big car reviewers.

This here is another review where the obvious quality flaws like the misaligned panels on the exterior, the gaps between the dashboard and the wood trim, the chinese sweatshop-steering wheel etc etc etc only get addressed by a single sentence like...."not as good as a bmw" ....and then forgotten.....it`s like being able to honk via a smarthphone app is cool enough to completely forget what a 60k car interior looks like at other manufacturers, and no, I´m not talking about the minimalistic design here.....
    If this thing was an ICE with that pricetag people would go bogus about the presented quality......

An EV powertrain is a really nice thing to have, no doubt, but is it really worth ignoring everything else?

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 3
  10. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Depends on what you value, as with any product.

• Like x 1
  11. Xenius

Xenius Member

For me so far, yes.

• Like x 5
  12. boiler81

boiler81 Member

He made a point of the incomplete radio/audio features but failed to acknowledge that is one of few vehicles that can be updated OTA. To me that's a hugh tech feature that most auto mfrs don't offer and allows Tesla to differentiate their cars.

• Like x 3
  13. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Now you trivialize the EV powertrain in a single sentence. Comfort, convenience and ease of driving trumps all the cosmetics you mention.

• Like x 4
  14. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

With German BEVs, I guess the only thing missing currently would be the 220 (or more) mile BEV and the SCN but then the latter is being addressed in Europe:
    BMW, Ford, Volkswagen, Daimler Team Up For Install Of Fast Chargers In Europe

What is the point of going for a Tesla Model 3 if Germans can get 30-35% off MSRP depending on who their employer is? I read here on TMC about a German getting that much of a discount on a BMW. Tesla may have a tough sell once these European BEVs come out if they are priced more competitive.

All we get in Canada is 6-7% off the MSRP on BMW's but I'd surely entertain a German-made BEV as long as it has AWD and has a 250 mile more more range. I don't mind going for a Tesla, until a competitive enough (or better) offering comes up then Tesla better offer some incentives up its sleeves. 35% off MSRP for Germans is very a sweet incentive.

• Funny x 1
  15. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

you have noticed the success of the Model S and X, right?

• Funny x 1
  16. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

The German's can't offer 35% off of similarly specced EVs, with similar production, and expect to make any money. So, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

• Like x 1
  17. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

Of course they can, they just have to price their MSRP higher. At $50k USD starting price, a 30% that would be $35k. Only the battery is costly, everything else the Germans or Japanese can already make properly. Why do they have to make money if it shuts competitors off? I know it's anti-competitive but I doubt car makers do not perceive Tesla as a threat.

Oh yes, and they have to assuage the unions because there are a lot fewer parts with a BEV than an ICEV or PHEV or hybrid.

Believe me, I'd like for Tesla to survive. But I'm just being realistic in that most car makers are not sitting comfortable with Tesla potentially eating up market share. Once battery technology allows for less expensive packs (packs + drive units = engine/transmission R&D and manufacturing cost), more car makers are going to come in. It's just a matter of when not how.

18. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Not everyone wants the car making all the decisions for us. There are times I need the lights on during the day and off at night.

• Like x 2
  19. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

At those time you push the light itself ... @ 3:37

Internet is already full of info, learn before you preach.

• Like x 2
  20. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

You can do that on the 3.