Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 roof rack consumption tested

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good test, thanks for doing it.

Just pointing out that aerodynamic drag is going to increase dramatically with speed, and your tests were done at a relatively sedate 100 kph (62 mph). Faster speeds will make tremendous difference. On the other hand, the colder air is more dense, so greater drag. Also the assumption that other factors affecting your range (temperature, rolling resistance increase from road conditions, etc.) will result in linear effects you have due to the added pod and rack is not necessarily valid. Note that any added headwind is roughly equivalent to adding that wind speed to your driving speed, and aerodynamic drag is proportional to the square of the vehicle speed.

I am a little surprised and encouraged by your results, but I would expect as much as twice the range hit at typical US highway speeds.

Reactions: Dana1
Thanks for doing this, I think your testing method is rigorous. Am I reading your data right that there was no difference in interior noise level? Even with the ski box installed?

Yep no difference - in the video I explain that I believe most of the noise inside the cabin is due to my studded winter tires. In the summer when I have my all-seasons on I do expect to see a difference. Qualitatively, I can hear the noise from the pod, but it is not obtrusive at all. Just a "wind" sound (no whistle etc).

Good test, thanks for doing it.

Just pointing out that aerodynamic drag is going to increase dramatically with speed, and your tests were done at a relatively sedate 100 kph (62 mph). Faster speeds will make tremendous difference. On the other hand, the colder air is more dense, so greater drag. Also the assumption that other factors affecting your range (temperature, rolling resistance increase from road conditions, etc.) will result in linear effects you have due to the added pod and rack is not necessarily valid. Note that any added headwind is roughly equivalent to adding that wind speed to your driving speed, and aerodynamic drag is proportional to the square of the vehicle speed.

I am a little surprised and encouraged by your results, but I would expect as much as twice the range hit at typical US highway speeds.

Agreed on the aero drag. Nowhere near me to do the test faster unfortunately :( In the summer I could run that same stretch at 120 km/h safely (though not "legally"), so might do so then.

My test is valid for 100 km/h with the same air temperature regardless of tires or road conditions. You won't have the same absolute consumption of course, but the difference between bare roof and roof rack will be ~5 Wh/km in all instances - so in some instances it will be a larger or smaller percentage increase, depending on the other conditions. As mentioned in the video, with changing air temperature the amount of consumption will definitely change.

Thinking back on it, if I had done the test at even two different speeds, someone capable of modelling aero drag would be able to extrapolate a model that worked for all temperatures and speeds (with some margin of error of course).

Anywho, the data can be useful to other people as well, provided they pay attention to the qualifiers I put in the blog post.

Cheers!

Thanks for doing the testing! I just saw it posted elsewhere and was about to share here.

Also, has anyone seen any data for warm weather testing when the regular efficiency is quite a bit higher?

While the rack is very much out of stock, I'm thinking about whether its something we install and leave on the car, or if there is any real impact that makes it worth removing it when not on a road trip.