TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 safer than Luxury 2017 Volvo S90

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by 1208, Jul 30, 2017.

1. 1208

1208 Active Member

Tesla Model 3 safer than the Luxury 2017 Volvo S90.

Euroncap tested the Volvo at 32km/h or 19.88mph.

euroncap volvo s90.png euroncap volvo v90.png tesla m3.png

2. arnis

arnis Member

Metal roof confirmed.

3. electracity

electracity Active Member

I wonder if the side impact pole test Musk showed isn't a bit deceptive. The pole fully engages the floor/skateboard, which is of course stronger on an EV. So the Tesla looks really good. But the force of a car impacting the side would mostly be higher and not fully engage the strength of the skateboard.

How the door transfers force in a side impact is probably more important than the strength of the frame below the door.

In the 90's the Japanese made cars that scored high on safety tests but had relatively poor real world results as determined by insurance data. I'm not impressed with Musk cherry picking a video that shows the model 3 being dramatically better than a Volvo. Cars do impact poles sideways at high speeds, but not typically.

I think Musk showed this video because the car weighs 3500 lbs. They had the capability to make the model 3 stronger and safer. But I do think it is probably a relatively safe car for the class.

A thousand pound heavier model S is going to be safer, regardless of tests.

• Informative x 1