Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 SatNav; SWMBO had enough it's navigating to the wrong places

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I get the chance, I will try and repeat tonight.

Repeating this, paying a bit more attention to what is going on, Satnav it may only be using the initial part of postcode as hinted by the destination showed. So quite a wide area. That would explain a lot.

upload_2020-1-21_19-12-54.png

Google Maps, spot on location (to the building) from calendar event

upload_2020-1-21_19-3-56.png

Tesla Sat Nav, navigation location loaded automatically from the calendar event - format house number, town, county, postcode. Wrong side of the A road/dual carriage way. Ironically, the Chipguard (I can recommend them [as Paintguard] for PPF if you are south coast)pin was my location. I should have shown as sat nav, but you get the idea that it simply takes you to the wrong location in some situations.

upload_2020-1-21_19-5-5.png

This is also the case when manually entered, ie my RG40 1SS instance further up the thread. I bet if I checked, RG40 would cover both locations and it just chose London Road, RWG40.

Yep, this is RG40 which straddles the A329 and M4 at one point road.
upload_2020-1-21_19-19-30.png

So I recon that Tesla sat nav just picks a road of same name somewhere in that major post code area and sets navigation to there. Even if you supply a more precise postcode.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimbo_hippo
What 3 words support would be great.

https://what3words.com
What 3 Words is a brilliant idea that only people who need a very specific location seem to get.

When it first came around, I shared it and people just kind of stared at it. Only those that were involved in mountain rescue or delivering stuff ever got it. Shame. It’s a great solution to an awful lot of real problems.

Depends where you live. My postcode covers an entire village of around 50 residences spread over a square mile or so. This includes houses up dirt tracks and various drives and only 2 named streets!

Same here ... same postcode houses can be a mile away up a different road and then along a track off that road. Delivery drivers frequently need to be directed despite their satnavs.

Repeating this, paying a bit more attention to what is going on, Satnav it may only be using the initial part of postcode as hinted by the destination showed. So quite a wide area. That would explain a lot.

View attachment 502874

Google Maps, spot on location (to the building) from calendar event

View attachment 502870

Tesla Sat Nav, navigation location loaded automatically from the calendar event - format house number, town, county, postcode. Wrong side of the A road/dual carriage way. Ironically, the Chipguard (I can recommend them [as Paintguard] for PPF if you are south coast)pin was my location. I should have shown as sat nav, but you get the idea that it simply takes you to the wrong location in some situations.

View attachment 502872

This is also the case when manually entered, ie my RG40 1SS instance further up the thread. I bet if I checked, RG40 would cover both locations and it just chose London Road, RWG40.

Yep, this is RG40 which straddles the A329 and M4 at one point road.
View attachment 502876

So I recon that Tesla sat nav just picks a road of same name somewhere in that major post code area and sets navigation to there. Even if you supply a more precise postcode.

After a quick check of deleting stale navigation history in 2020.48.10, I'm hoping that this issue is now resolved. I haven't tested this feature for a while so likely to have been resolved earlier.

It certainly gets the correct location for navigating to Chipguard, both with the navigation in the history and with a fresh location with Apple maps and sending the location to the car.

I didn't get the opportunity to check the RG40 example.

For those new to this, previously the navigation only appeared to use the first part of the postcode, so if you had multiple roads of the same name road in the main postcode district, or a long road that spanned multiple postcodes, navigation would typically get the navigation destination wrong, even if sent as a dropped pin.

Previously, this would have taken us the wrong side of the dual carriageway, red arrow. If using dropped pin, it actually drops it in the correct place.

New upload_2020-12-12_16-48-9.png vs previous View attachment 502872

Slightly related - I’ve recently got issues with the voice guidance - specifically at roundabouts - the map shows second exit correctly - but voice says take first exit - sometimes third

has someone else faced this issue

An inability to consistently correctly count roundabout exits has been reported for a long time. Sometimes I wonder if it thinks you are going to go round the roundabout the wrong way! I’ve taken the wrong exit a few times as a result. I don’t like having to check on the screen whilst negotiating an unfamiliar roundabout.

Mines has not taken me to the wrong location (as yet) however is does seem to have a strange routeing effect algorithm.
I can't make my mind up whether it uses the shortest route or just avoids major roads but I'm often routed through housing estates with speed bumps.
Oh, and it can't count exits on roundabouts!
Maybe thats it, it thinks i drive too fast & just wants to slow me down.
Roll on some routeing options.

For anyone going to the Bristol SC, then ignore the sat nav when it tells you to turn into the Fed Ex site, go straight on to the end of that road and turn left, then carry on to the end of that road and the Tesla SC is hidden on the left.

The chap in the Model S that beeped at me when I was obviously lost, had also found the place hard to find. The chap in the SC just said that most people had a problem finding them, and they really need to update the position pin on the map...

If you do drive into the Fed Ex place, and carry on far enough into their rear car park, you can just see the rear of the Tesla SC, behind a steel fence, not that it helps you find it.

I did this too. Fedex workers out for a cigarette break pointed me in the right direction, I’m sure this is a regular occurrence for them :)

Mines has not taken me to the wrong location (as yet) however is does seem to have a strange routeing effect algorithm.
I can't make my mind up whether it uses the shortest route or just avoids major roads but I'm often routed through housing estates with speed bumps.
Oh, and it can't count exits on roundabouts!
Maybe thats it, it thinks i drive too fast & just wants to slow me down.
Roll on some routeing options.
Apologies for reviving an old thread (better than creating a new thread though, right...?) - have largely enjoyed the first 600 miles/12 days in the M3 (mostly in Devon and thereabouts), but am more than a little disappointed with the sat nav (50k car blah blah, the one in my Leaf and a hundred quid TomTom are better blah blah).

No waypoints, an occasional disparity between the voice ('second exit') and the graphic (third exit of four) - and an absolute addiction to b-roads and tracks if it makes for a nice straight line on Google maps.

Any idea if waypoints and routing options (fastest/quickest/avoid godawful farm tracks) are coming down the line?

Reactions: jfrancis
Any idea if waypoints and routing options (fastest/quickest/avoid godawful farm tracks) are coming down the line?
Ya have to love the godawful farm tracks here in Wales - rare passing places and you need tractor high wheels as ya scour the hedges and avoid being swallowed by the potholes. Just view it as a challenge. I just love reversing 200yards when faced with big kit and trailer coming the other way. Elon should come and play

Reactions: DigbyChicken