Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Saves Driver In Destructive 75-MPH Rear-End Crash - Dec 13, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad the Tesla driver got to walk away from this accident.
Based on the damage picture and the Twitter video feed, it was a glancing blow to the left-rear quarter panel and suspension that saved him. The Model 3 mostly got spun 90-degress, with limited energy transfer.

Again, super-glad to hear that at least 1 of the 2 drivers is OK.

Crazy! Would wish this on no one but it is worth media coverage beyond an EV-focused site.

Accidents happen all the time.
Not sure why one would expect more media coverage for this particular one.

Strange this accident has not been reported in any of the major news channels or newspaper?

The article itself has no corroboration for the 75 MPH speed that the Jeep was allegedly driving. Where did that number come from?

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The article itself has no corroboration for the 75 MPH speed that the Jeep was allegedly driving. Where did that number come from?
The 75 mph came from the link headline, obviously the crash wasn't at 10 mph which is also not corroborated. I am sure at some point the police or NHTSA will either supported it or make a final determination. I think viewing the various pictures provided in the link below show it was a high collision accident. Maybe someone from the local area can shed some light on the accident.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Of course the speed is relevant. It defines the entire narrative of the story. The higher the speed, the better Tesla looks. The lower the speed, the worse Tesla looks, especially for rear-seat occupants.

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev
Huge hit, but impossible to say how fast the drunk driver was going.

Having said that, I was rear-ended by a rental car driver, rubbernecking another accident. The other driver was going 60mph, and did not brake. I was stopped on an exit ramp on the Eisenhower Expressway in Chicago. My Saab, though the rear bumper was swallowed by the front end of the rental car, was drivable. I drove my slightly damaged Saab home to Maine. The rental car was totaled, but the driver was saved by their airbag.

This collision damage is many times worse than my Saab's, pre-airbag days. Much more kinetic energy dissipated in this collision. Also, this collision was a glancing blow. The Jeep hit the left half of the Tesla.

Having seen the video from the rear cam, it gave me bad flashbacks, because I actually saw the vehicle that hit me. I had a split second to lift my foot from the brake and turn the steering wheel, but not enough time to drive out of the way. Yes, there was a stopped car in front of me, so I actually had a double collision, hitting the car in front. Maybe that's why I still always look behind me when I stop, even though that collision happened 30 years ago.

Anyhow, I don't doubt that the Jeep was going extremely fast. I think the glancing blow is what saved him.
Rear cam view of collision.

Last edited:
Having said that, I was rear-ended by a rental car driver, rubbernecking another accident. The other driver was going 60mph, and did not brake. I was stopped on an exit ramp on the Eisenhower Expressway in Chicago. My Saab, though the rear bumper was swallowed by the front end of the rental car, was drivable. I drove my slightly damaged Saab home to Maine. The rental car was totaled, but the driver was saved by their airbag.

This collision damage is many times worse than my Saab's, pre-airbag days. Much more kinetic energy dissipated in this collision. Also, this collision was a glancing blow. The Jeep hit the left half of the Tesla.
It's important to remember that BOTH cars absorb the kinetic energy of the impact .. but not equally, since they have different designs. I would suspect the Jeep had a more rigid structure, and so the Tesla bore the brunt, hence the damage (in addition, as you note, to the type and angle of impact).