Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 spoler efficiency question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking to add a spoiler to my 3, and I was looking on Ali express(ikr lol), and it claimed that it actually increases efficiency of the car by about 1 to 10 percent. Is this true? because I always thought adding a spoiler would make your car less efficient, and if it does make it less efficient, does anyone know by how much? Thanks. TM3 sr+

Fake science nonsense. (Waiting for someone to post that unplugged performance junk).

Think of it like this. There's a glue-on mechanical device that costs maybe $30 to fabricate. It improves the range of the Model 3 from 350mi to 380mi. And the reason that Tesla won't put it on is because

(1) if it's similar blade to the oem performance, they want to save it for the performance vehicle or
(2) it's a different design from the oem performance, but tesla doesn't have the engineering prowess of a Chinese shop to come up with the design

Asinine

I was looking to add a spoiler to my 3, and I was looking on Ali express(ikr lol), and it claimed that it actually increases efficiency of the car by about 1 to 10 percent. Is this true? because I always thought adding a spoiler would make your car less efficient, and if it does make it less efficient, does anyone know by how much? Thanks. TM3 sr+

Potentially true, it depends if CFD analysis was done on the spoiler. If not, it's very easily to increase drag on the car.

• Informative
Reactions: purplewalt

It'll be the efficiency gained by reducing the weight in your pockets.

The Tesla spoiler is designed to reduce lift by lowering turbulences behind the car (rather than causing downforce that increases drag). Google “Kamm-back” for more detail (the Prius uses a similar spoiler). That being said, 10% efficiency gain is preposterous and unless you go super fast, you likely won’t feel a difference.

I added the original Tesla spoiler to my LR RWD because I like the way it looks. Didn’t make a difference to efficiency, range or stability.

It'll be the efficiency gained by reducing the weight in your pockets.
no wonder I run so slow
The Tesla spoiler is designed to reduce lift by lowering turbulences behind the car (rather than causing downforce that increases drag). Google “Kamm-back” for more detail (the Prius uses a similar spoiler). That being said, 10% efficiency gain is preposterous and unless you go super fast, you likely won’t feel a difference.

I added the original Tesla spoiler to my LR RWD because I like the way it looks. Didn’t make a difference to efficiency, range or stability.
Oh yeah I am aware. I'm an engineer I know a good amount of that stuff.

I just don't know which rear spoiler OP was referring too

Speaking of Ali Express, I don't understand how Ali Express pricing works. For example this body kit, it says for the price:

US $260.00 - 1,940.00​

And shipping it says US $659.37

Why the enormous range in price? It doesn't look like you can pick and choose the components in the kit. And the shipping cost is also astronomical.

Speaking of Ali Express, I don't understand how Ali Express pricing works. For example this body kit, it says for the price:

US $260.00 - 1,940.00​

And shipping it says US $659.37

Why the enormous range in price? It doesn't look like you can pick and choose the components in the kit. And the shipping cost is also astronomical.
the selectiton is using the Color field. the lid spoiler is 260, the rest are ~500 each, and full set is 2k

this vendor doesnt use the standard economical freight, only using the big name international shippers, is why S&H is expensive

the selectiton is using the Color field. the lid spoiler is 260, the rest are ~500 each, and full set is 2k

this vendor doesnt use the standard economical freight, only using the big name international shippers, is why S&H is expensive

Hi just a random post, do you have an EV, I have a partner and a few back up's and a EV, you have a lot of good
info.

AFAIK you really want to improve both acceleration, top speed, and range, get:

81zMb38AIPL._AC_SY355_.jpg

It's on sale here.

• Funny
Reactions: Zcd1