Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Springs VS. Coilover Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

i have a dual motor m3 and wanted to lower it. i was originally looking into coilovers because they are more sporty and track-like drive which i like, but the price i just cannot do.

springs everyone likes but im concerned more about the reliability portion. i frequently do 8-900 miles (one-way) trips and want to make sure the springs hold up and dont deteriorate over time. Ive heard a lot of concerns about the bumps when driving which i really dont want to have. also on those long drives i usually have 4-5 people in the vehicle. i do not want to scrape when i hit a pothole or anything or hear more bumps then there already are when i have people in the car with me.

i really dont like the moderate drop and want a more lower drop so i was leaning towards the unplugged performance (low series). already got in contact with them and they said they can make those springs for me.

just the main question i have is are the springs a safe option? will i regret it in the future? i know they alwasy say you get what you pay for. if springs dont have what i want then ill stay with stock and suck it up. im not worried about ride being stiff, i just want to make sure the car doesnt float when i go over bumps or if im going fast and hit a dip in the road, i will feel a noise. am i asking for too much? or are springs the good way to go?

P.S. does anyone with a dual motor (NON-PERFORMANCE) gotten the LOW springs from unplugged?

kind regards

Changing the sprint rate without changing the damper will, necessarily, make the damping much further from ideal than it would be otherwise.

Honestly, it’s a 4K+lb sedan with less than sporting intentions... if the only purpose is to drop an inch or so for aesthetics I’d either buy proper coils with damping matched to the springs or stock to as close to the stock spring rate as possible.

As far as safety, if you put a much higher rate spring on the stock damper it won’t last long. At least for every other car pretty much ever made, that’s the case. May last a long time, or maybe not.. but it’ll be less than it would otherwise.

I currently have the Unplugged Performance Super Performance springs on my AWD M3, non P.

Few months ago, I had the UP moderate springs, they were lower than the SP.

To answer your question, lowering the car does NOT seem like an option for you.

Here’s why: The ride will be more harsh over bad roads and bumps will hurt a lot more on highways - especially for your passengers.

With 4 people in a lowered car - it’s going to be miserable and yes, you will scrape almost everywhere .

The only option for your situation is coil overs, which you said you will not get.

So, just enjoy the stock ride

Reactions: BYE FOSL