Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 SR+: 14-day West Coast road trip with 4 people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning a road trip for 14 days with my family (4 people total) and a lot of luggage Dec 18th onwards.

Bay Area -> Yosemite -> Bakersfield -> Vegas -> Zion -> Grand Canyon (Page, AZ) -> Flagstaff, AZ -> Joshua Tree -> LA -> Bay Area

My primary concerns are charging, driving in cold/snow, and road closures. Are there any tips, recommendations, or things I should be worried about?

Your route shouldn't take you into any particularly cold areas, but you will lose as much as 40% of your range in below freezing temperatures, especially if you have an older 3 without a heat pump. Cold batteries don't supercharge worth sh|t, so always charge at your destination when you arrive unless you have L2 charging at your accommodation.

Your route shouldn't take you into any particularly cold areas, but you will lose as much as 40% of your range in below freezing temperatures, especially if you have an older 3 without a heat pump. Cold batteries don't supercharge worth sh|t, so always charge at your destination when you arrive unless you have L2 charging at your accommodation.
Thanks, @pb2000! Appreciate the charging tip! Mine is 2021 M3 SR+, so hopefully won't lose a lot of range in below-freezing temperatures.

I was concerned about the drive from Vegas to Page and Page to Tusayan. But hopefully, that shouldn't be an issue if I drive slow.

The road from St George to Page looks like it's pretty slow and you should have plenty of drafting opportunities. If you're concerned, minimize use of the cabin heater and consider stopping for a L2 session in Kenab. Page to Tusayan should be no problem